The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 6, 2001, 10:31 AM   #1
GBTX01

Gun mounted light for HK USP Compact

I am interested in getting a tac light to mount on my USP Compact and I was wonder what brands were available and which were of good quality. Also, I know that HK makes the Universal Tactical Light (UTL), but where can I buy one and what is there price? Thanks for the help
Old September 6, 2001, 11:55 AM   #2
M700

Here's a link to the HK UTL. I think the price is about the same wherever you go and ive heard nothing but good things about these guys.

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/HK...ccessories.htm
Old September 8, 2001, 06:49 AM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

You have several choices.

The HK UTL is made by Insight Technologies, and is well made. Attaches / detaches in about 2 seconds. Only problems are the accessory pressure pad - too small in my book, and I don't like having to glue on velcro pads.

There is also a Surefire model available for the compact series - but it's a good deal more expensive, and isn't as compact as the UTL.

SureFire is suppossed to be releasing a newer version of their light system for the USP, but I don't have the time frame on it yet. It will still be more expensive than the UTL, regardless.

Kevin
Old September 22, 2001, 11:57 PM   #4
Ahhnuld

I love my UTL

I have a UTL by ITI for H&K that I mount on both my H&K Full size USP .45 and my compact USP .45. I find that using the toggle switch alone is sufficient, no pressure pad needed. You can flip it to constant on with your weak hands forefinger, or toggle it the other way for qiuck on and release it for off again.
Old September 23, 2001, 07:31 PM   #5
Justin Moore

Kevin,

Are you talking about the new P-Series Nitrolon lights for the USP?
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old September 23, 2001, 07:56 PM   #6
[email protected]
Wise Guy

The P series Nitrolon is slightly more expensive than street prices for the UTL - but according to my SureFire price list, the only SureFire models available for the USP Compact are the 615R classic system which has an MSRP of 342.00.

For the Fullsize models of USPs, you've got a few choices:

The M115 or M105 Millenium light is made from aluminum, Type 3 Hard anodized. They share parts compatibility with the Millenium weaponlights for rifles / SMGs and the 9 volt Special Operations lights. The M115 has a slimline momentary switch and a shuttle on switch, the 105 has a shuttle switch only.

The Nitrolons (P115 and P105) are much less expensive and are a bit smaller as well. Of course, they aren't as tough either, but that's just slightly. Just like the Millenium models, one is available with a slimline momentary on switch.

I don't have any current information for new models for the compact... none were release as of June 01. Maybe we'll see something at SHOT.

Kevin
Old September 23, 2001, 09:19 PM   #7
Quartus

One of the side benefits of a light on a gun (handgun or shotgun) is that, sooner or later, you'll find yourself using the light.

For a light.

Pointing at things a gun should not point at.

Bad idea.

(Not theory. It's already happening in PDs across the country.)

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 25, 2001, 04:53 PM   #8
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I've yet to see a flashlight that doesn't have some sort of "bloom" where all of its light goes in the focused area, and that's it.

Aim to the side, aim at the ground, whatever - it still frees up a hand to use the phone, operate a lock, reload, etc.

Kevin
Old September 27, 2001, 06:44 AM   #9
Tman

I've noticed in photos, when the UTL is attached to the USPc, the UTL extends out in the area of the muzzle flash (compared to USP full size). Does this subject the light to damage,etc.?