The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
std7mag

Newb with some questions...

Hello all. As I mentioned, I'm a major newb for reloading and I had some questions.

1) How are aluminum cases to reload? I'm looking to do some rifle reloading and have run across some aluminum casings.

2) Would an aluminum casing take the pressures of a magnum cartridge? aka 60,000 psi?

3) I read on here about a layered charge. Is there an actual blended charge? Living in Pennsylvania, I don't have a need for a 26 inch barrel. Is there a way to get the same velocities of a short magnum, with a shorter (aka 20 inch) barrel?

Thank you for your time and advise!!!
Old June 26, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2
wncchester

1) How are aluminum cases to reload? I'm looking to do some rifle reloading and have run across some aluminum casings.

I doubt you have any alum rifle cases, more likely nickle plated brass. They will hold any normal pressures.

2) Would an aluminum casing take the pressures of a magnum cartridge? aka 60,000 psi?

Probably not.

3) I read on here about a layered charge. Is there an actual blended charge?

Quit reading. It's a very old but lousy idea from some people who keep thinking they have figgered how to do what factory ammo makers cannot; they're wrong on several levels.

Is there a way to get the same velocities of a short magnum, with a shorter (aka 20 inch) barrel?

No. If so it would commonly be done.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
tahunua001

I agree, if it's a bottle neck case it's probably not alum, nickel brass is pretty common all the way up to 7mm rem mag as far as I know and probably bigger. it doesn't stand up to quite as many reloadings, especially hot loads as standard brass but you should be able to get at least 2 or 3 reloadings out of a barrel burner magnum rifle.

as for velocity. barrel length plays a huge role. this spring I was trying to develop loads for my arisaka carbine(20 inch barrel). the hornady reloading manual said that my loads should have been pushing 2600 FPS but instead was coming out at just under 2200. I later found out that this is because hornady uses a 31.5 inch test barrel, sierra's manual data was much closer to home because they used the shorter carbine length barrel as their test gun.

if all you are using is a 20 inch barrel your 300 short mag is actually just barely grazing the upper end of 30-06 velocities out of a 26 inch barrel. not to mention the muzzle blast would be a major irritant.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

The only thing I use aluminum case for are making dummy loads. This makes them easy to identify.

Manufactures can use new cases to load pistol ammo. The metal doesn't work well when you try to reload it. The neck tension is weak and normally the case will split when fired. This is just pistol ammo with low pressures. I would not even chance it once for rifle ammo. When you feel the weight of a brass case or better yet weigh it then weigh the case you are referring to. If they are nearly the same weight for the same caliber then the silver colored one is not aluminum. An aluminum case should weigh quite a bit less than a brass case.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5
std7mag

Thanks all for the advise!!

I actually ran across the aluminum casing as a new technology during a patent search.

Guess I should really stick to the tried and true 45-70 for the brush. lol

Again, thanks!!
Old June 27, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
tahunua001

there are others that can make good brush guns. a french MAS36 with 220gr bullets can pack a whallop, as could a steyr M95 straight pull with 205grs or a 44 mag lever gun. I like my arisaka T44(recognizing a pattern yet?) for short range brush gun activities though it doesn't pack quite as much punch. all are very effective and are all about the same over all length. just matters how you use it.

a 300 short mag getting 2800FPS with a 180gr bullet is still a hell of a gun at any brush gun range, it just isn't what I would pick.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
jimbob86

IME:

Quote:
normally the case will split when fired. This is just pistol ammo with low pressures.
You have issues other than aluminum cases going on, methinks ......

I concur with the guys thinking nickel plated ........ and those do work just fine.

I re-used a couple hundred nickel plated .357 magnum cases that I got as factory ammo ..... they have been reloaded a good 1/2 dozen times, and I have had a few split at the neck, and the nickel plating is flaking off the necks of others...... which is understandable, as I use a pretty firm roll crimp on magnum revolver rounds......

I have .45 ACP nickel plated brass, but have not had any of that split yet- not as much work hardening with the light taper crimp and low pressure round, I guess. It seems to feed better than the regular "brass" brass, and does not tarnish.

I also have a bag of .270WIN plated brass, but have not used that at all ...... I neck size for that rifle, so I imaging it will last pretty well.