The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 10, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1
DennisCA

Prob a ridiculous question but....

Is there such thing as a limit on your gun collection?

Basiclly is there a limit where you say I'm done?

(For me prob not)
Old January 10, 2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Texascoonhunter

Limit on Gun Collection

AS of today, there is no limit on a personal gun collection to the best of my knowledge. Who knows in the future what will take place. If the American people don't stand together for our freedoms, then they will disappear one by one.
Old January 10, 2014, 05:41 PM   #3
csmsss

The only limit I'm aware of is your bankroll and storage/safekeping capabilities.
Old January 10, 2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Hawg

You're kidding.....Right?
Old January 10, 2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

I think the OP means is there a point where people might decide "OK, I really should just stop buying guns now, I have enough"

And therefore, I think the OP wants to know where would that "I have enough" point be and why.

If I am wrong, please correct me on this Dennis.

For my part, there are legal storage limitations which I have reached. Beyond those I need a whole new level of storage.. The cost of this and the fact that I have nowhere to put the upgraded safe means I have reached the "enough" stage. I can't now buy anymore guns unless I first sell a gun to make room for another.
I've had to do that thrice so far. Sold one 9mm to make space for another, and the same with .308 and a .38, but in reverse order.

If there weren't a limit I'd have probably still sold the guns I have to get the new ones, but I can still think of 4-5 other guns I'd fancy getting that I presently can't without thinning the herd. An Astra A60, an Astra A70, an AR of some decent origin (M400?), a Ruger SBH in .44, and a half decent 1911.

Those are the stuff of dreams for now, though!!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; January 11, 2014 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Adding a few "what if"s
Old January 10, 2014, 08:59 PM   #6
Old 454

Owning guns is like a disaease, one is too many and 20 is not enough.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:01 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
one is too many and 20 is not enough
66 is not enough.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:02 PM   #8
colbad

Yes its called money
Old January 10, 2014, 09:46 PM   #9
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Yes, it is my wife.... She also acts as my conscience...lol
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 10, 2014, 10:14 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure about a legal limit, but in some states there is a practical limit for cartridge handguns, because police have to approve every purchase and some simply will not do so beyond some undetermined number that they make up as they go along. In other states there is a "one-a-month" law that limits purchases to 12 in a calendar year, so that also imposes a de facto limit.

Jim
Old January 10, 2014, 10:35 PM   #11
101combatvet

I was listening to an interview with Adam Baldwin and he mentioned his gun collection. Can't remember the exact number of firearms he owns maybe 70-80 plus? Anyway, he says they are the best investment he has ever made, I'd agree with that.

Last edited by 101combatvet; January 10, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:41 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Everyone is different. For some, there does come a time in life when interest change, and desires alter.

There could very well be a limit where I say, "I'm done". I'm not there yet, but I am at the point where there are only a handful of guns that I was ever interested in that I have not either owned or had a chance to thoroughly check out.

My personal situation changed this past year, and my income essentially halved. so, I don't have the disposable to buy like I used to, but then, I don't need to. In fact, I may even get a chance to shoot some of the dozen plus I've had for years and never got to shoot for one reason or another.

In fact, I've even thinned the herd a bit this past year. There are still a few pieces on my want list, but they are rare.

Also, I'm not really interested in anything new....that cut a lot out, right there,
Old January 11, 2014, 12:45 PM   #13
gyvel

Sigh... Yes: $$$$$$$$
Old January 11, 2014, 01:46 PM   #14
tahunua001

I have a 36 gun safe that has 22 in it and I can't fit another and I still have one more on the way. I might have to put the 36 up on craigs list and get a 48-51 to replace it.

I am to the point that at least one is going to the next gun show and the one on it's way and another may be sold to another family member.

essentially, I have my WWII collection pretty well rounded
I have my 3 evil black rifles
I have my rimfire handgun/rifle combo
I have my semi auto carry handguns.
I have my shotgun for bird hunting and not much else.
I really don't need anything else.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:25 PM   #15
ripnbst

Prob a ridiculous question but....

I want to add a semi auto 12 GA and another EBR in 5.56 NATO and I'll be "good". After that its just ammo, ammo, ammo.

I am not a guy who collects guns for kicks. I shoot everything I own regularly and they all serve a purpose. Anything I find myself owning covering the same uses one gets sold. The second AR will be for my wife and son to use and when old enough, will be my sons.
Old January 11, 2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Buzzcook

Of the set of all guns there is a subset of guns I don't want. So there is a limit.
Old January 11, 2014, 05:17 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

My first, and most raw impression of your question is if there is a limit to how many guns, not just C&R guns. is a personal limit. The answer is of course yes, I reached it about 15 guns ago!

Now in reference to C&R guns, because this was posted under the C&R forum, my personal limit is controlled by what is in the market. I am not a collector of fine antique firearms, but rather a shooter. My C&R collection is made up of reasonably priced, and some times down right cheap milsurp firearms. A bit of hint as to where my username came from.
The milsurp market is not producing much in the way of firearms I don't already have one or more examples of. So as far as C&R is concerned I am probably close to my limit.
When it comes to commercial new and used guns, there's a lot more to help extend me well more than 15 beyond my limit.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2014, 05:56 PM   #18
gyvel

On the off chance that you were wondering if there were any legal limit to the amount of guns one can own, I think that varies from state-to-state.

Edit: Back in the early 70s. I offered a couple of pistols to a guy in western NY (me being from Florida at the time). He informed that he had to sell one of the pistols that was listed on his "permit card" in order to get another one. Maybe that has changed since then.

Last edited by gyvel; January 11, 2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:54 PM   #19
JWT

Absolutely no limit. Limited by desire and finances only. Never too many.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:51 PM   #20
emcon5

I didn't think such a thing was possible, until I met the guy I bought my 1903A3 from.

Me and a buddy went to the range so he could try out my K98. Ended up talking to the guy at the next bench, who was in the process of selling one, a pretty nice Russian Capture for a very fair price. My buddy jokingly asked him, "Got any more?" not expecting the answer to be: "Yeah, got 3 more in the car"

We ended up finding an ATM machine, and my buddy took home a nice RC K98.

While he was getting my buddies info for his bound book, I asked if he had any 1903s he was wanting to get rid of.

He paused, for a long time. Finally said, and I quote: "I'm not sure, I'll have to check my master list". He gave me his business card, and about a week later we met at his work to look at buying a rifle. He brought five for me to look at, three 1903s and two 1903A3s.

Now I don't know if he had "too many guns" but when you can't remember if you have a particular rifle, and then have at least 5 of them, I suspect he is getting close.
Old January 11, 2014, 07:59 PM   #21
TXAZ

Really depends on the person, cash flow and interest. I can count mine on toes and fingers. I know one who has about 100, and another that has close to 1,000 (and incredible cash flow to pay for them).

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 12, 2014, 01:56 PM   #22
highpower3006

At one time I had a little over 200 guns. Most of them were WWII and earlier US military. I sold them off to raise the down payment for a house. Now, several years later, I seriously doubt if I will ever to amass that many of the type and quality of firearms that I used own.

Because I am a chronic gun buyer, I am rebuilding my collection one at a time, the main limit that I have to deal with now is the lack of storage room (and money). Plus I just moved a few months ago and it was a major logistic problem moving them. Now, it looks as though I am moving again in a couple of months so no more acquisitions until I get settled.
Old January 12, 2014, 05:49 PM   #23
SteveBonning

Really? Silly question. There's as many answers as there are collectors in the world. It's one of those questions that only the individual can answer because the answer is only pertinent to him or her. What's the purpose, just to start a thread? OK, why is there air? (You oldtimers may remember Bill Cosby's skit...)
Old January 13, 2014, 01:54 PM   #24
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have known folks who had over two thousand guns and one who had over 500 machineguns (he had started collecting before 1934). I have read of collections of 4-5000 guns.

There is a legitimate question as to when collecting becomes merely accumulating, but the guy with 4+ thousand guns had them all on a computerized list and, according to the story, could put his hand on any one in a few seconds, and describe it and its features without any reference to documents.

Jim
Old January 14, 2014, 05:08 AM   #25
Doc Hoy

James et al.

I am an accumulator and not a collector.

I call myself that because I like nearly everything but I don't ever spend the money to get something rare or unique. If I come up with something that is collectable it is by accident.

When I got up to 12 Cap and Ball revolvers, my wife asked me how many revolvers I would eventually need. She was not griping by any stretch. She was just curious. I didn't know how to answer the question. I have somewhere around 55 pistols and rifles now and I think she has answered the question for herself.

My wife is a real peach. She is the one who spotted the Gunshop in FL at which I picked up a Geroco Texas Scout in .357 that needed a home and some TLC. We were doing about 35 in one of the speed traps on 301 and "eagle eye" shouts out "Gunshop!"

She was surprised a coupla weeks ago when I missed my first gunshow in about three years. She is also surprised when I go and don't come home with something.

It was her idea to build glass cases and hang my accumulation on the walls of our house.

There is no limit (IMHO) as regards the number. To me the limit is on the speed with which the accumulation grows and for me, that limit is set by money.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; January 14, 2014 at 05:14 AM.