The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2011, 12:15 PM   #26
oregunner

So this is where we differ, as I deal with many adult beginners, who need to choose a gun, which I would call a beginner, or entry level, gun. I see beginner guns as also being able to be full sized. Youth guns are designed for smaller shooters, some of which are beginners. If you get offended by the term beginner gun because it implies a youth gun to you, then I can see where the misunderstanding is. I suppose nobody wants to be perceived as a beginner when they are shooting a Mossberg. Although the term entry level still doesn't solve that perception. Mark
Old December 24, 2011, 12:27 PM   #27
C0untZer0

I have noticed in the past that a lot of people advise getting a pump, because"they're more reliable and less prone to malfunction than a auto-loader." It seems like a knee-jerk response.

But the reliability of semi-auto shotguns has improved tremendously and I think for the average shooter, the likelyhood that they short stroke it, or some other user error, is greater then a well-maintained 930 choking on a shell.

I also don't think that people hold back on their critisicms of bad products. I've seen here on this forum people give what I judged to be honest reports of problems they had with their firearms.

The overwhelming number of reviews on forums and YouTube are very positive on the 930 models - although most that I've seen deal with the SPX.
Old December 24, 2011, 12:30 PM   #28
C0untZer0

This is still probably the best thread on the SPX:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...930-SPX-Review
Old December 24, 2011, 12:38 PM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Well then I reckon we are both not fully correct...

There is no feature on any gun at any price aside from handsome wood grain that would suit me better than a Mossberg does.

Not many offer a top of tang safety location I prefer. Those that do are lacking in affordable barrel offerings and such.

I reckon you can consider me to be a beginner because the Mossberg line up suits me fine...

I can accept the fact that after 35 years, tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of animals have fell to my guns, thousands upon thousands of impromptu shooting sessions using untold numbers of inanimate objects as targets, untold numbers of cases of shells and I am still just a beginner...

I sure wish that beginner's Mossberg bolt action .410 with "poly choke" hadn't been stolen 20+ years ago... it might have near a million rounds through it by now... Lord knows that since it was bought new in the early 50's for my father than the 20 years I owned and shot it, it alone has a few thousand game animals to her record... I alone put many rooster ringnecks on the table. And this beginner got many an attaboy for the ability I had with follow up shots on flying birds and running rabbits...

Brent
Old December 24, 2011, 01:10 PM   #30
oregunner

If someone asks me for a good hammer to buy, but has never used a hammer before, and I suggest a certain hammer, that does mean that everyone that uses that hammer is a beginner. I don't consider you a beginner, and never suggested that you were. I suggested that the gun you own is a good gun for someone that is looking for a dependable, affordable, general purpose gun, which many shooters that are starting out, are looking for. I can't see where that would offend you. Mark
Old December 24, 2011, 03:17 PM   #31
shortwave

hogdogs,

Here's a T-shirt quote for ya:

Mossberg 500

A great ENTRY level shotgun.

Used by many an experienced shooter!

Course you might have to get Mossberg's approval for that one.

IMO, I can see where using the term 'beginner shotgun' (of any brand) could offend some versus using the term 'entry level'.

You want a good entry level shotgun, get a single shot.

Get real good at the 'one shot, one kill' method instead of the spray and pray attitude that shuckers and auto's often teachs as the first shotgun.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:17 AM   #32
Rugerismisticness

Beginner and entry level are used interchangibly. Maybe if I used the term "base gun", that might be more appropriate. Yes, the 870 and most 1100s are also "base guns" just to test the water for the tasks (unless your hunting, where the 100 year old single shot is equal to about everything else). All three guns (870, 1100 and 930) have potential for clays (the 1100 compsyn, 870 trap varients, and hopefully there will one day be a 930 sprorting), but in their original element, they are but "base guns".

It doesn't matter how many "experianced shooters" use a Mossberg 500 to hunt with (well they certainly ain't about to use it for clays, so we assume they are using it to hunt), when it comes to hunting the 500 is at the upper end of the scale. This is because of the utility factor of the 500. Most experiance shooter own several guns for several purposes, the 500 best fits the purpose of hunting, thus only making sense for the experianced shooter to be seen with the 500. For clays, if he really is an experianced shooter, he will be using an upper end guns (maybe a Bgun, maybe an O/U).
Old December 25, 2011, 09:23 PM   #33
shortwave

BASE GUN!

+1 Ruger

Now I think that would be a very acceptable term.
Old December 26, 2011, 06:47 AM   #34
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

S'funny, off the top of my head I can think of a dozen veteran shotgun fanatics who possess all kinds of fine shotguns, but have something like a 500, 870, 37, 12 etc, that constitutes their go to gun for whatever.

One friend, now hunting in the Hereafter, had a number of good shotguns, including some fine classic doubles. One was an AH Fox in 16 gauge. So was his favorite, a Model 31L Remington that was sudden death on quail and grouse.

Another, who may be hunting with that first guy, had a thing for 28 gauges. His H&H cost more than my house when it was new. But, he did well with a Model 12 skeet gun in that guage also and preferred it for late season stuff.

Another has a fari number of Model 21s among others, and likes his $200 Express for anything on wet days. He admits he shoots it at least as well as his classics.

l As to the OP's query, both guns have lots of happy owners. Get whatever FEELS best and exercise it frequently.....
Old January 1, 2012, 08:34 PM   #35
AARguy

Entry Level

Just my two cents about this "entry" and "beginner" discussion... The US Army has about 15,000 Mossberg 500-series (Mossberg 590) shotguns in use right now. The Army considers them as "entry" weapons alright, in a "breaching" sort of way. I'll get you some addresses so you can tell some real WARRIORS that they are "beginners".

I carried either an M16 or a 1911 in the Army and found myself new to shotguns after retirement. I chose Mossberg (both a 930 SPX and 500 "3-in-1") since lots of folks I knew felt Mossberg reliability and performance were so good that they could depend on Mossberg to keep them alive in combat.