The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Lead Express

Help with 40 S&W reloading

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to reloading, and just started loading on my setup listed below:

Lee loadmaster with factiory crimp die
180 gn Powerbond bullets
6.4 gn Power Pistol powder (Start load)
CCI # 500
OAL 1.125

The press runs great, but I have encountered a few problems/issues as I have run the press (about 500 made so far, 360 shot), and I'm curious to hear of your experiences with the lee loadmaster and its final product.

1. When I run the press with one round at a time, all OAL and resistance on the dies seems pretty smooth. This feels good overall.

2. When I run in a progressive mode, there seems to be much more resistance, and my set OAL of 1.125 goes to 1.30-1.140. I'm really making sure that I'm running the ram all the way down, but for some reason it does not help. This causes me to measure and re-run the rounds that don't make spec through the seating die until OAL is achieved.

3. The factory crimp die seems to be giving me trouble. I've read quite a bit on multiple forums and get conflicting information about crimp. When I shot the first 360 rounds, I noticed much more muzzle flash than normal. I'm also noticing some unburnt powder (5-6 flakes) in my barrel. I'm thinking it's because there is not enough crimp to ignite all of the powder, but how much is too much crimp?

I've not seen any pictures, nor could I find any to go off of.

Can someone so kind help a newbie out?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Lead Express; January 22, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I wish I could help with the progressive loader problems. Unfortuanately I only have experience with a single stage press. Though the Factory Crimp die is not realy a crimper. Also with .40 S&W you should be able to run your thumb nail down the bullet, and feel case mouth lightly catch your nail. The FCD is to post size the cartrige to assure proper feeding in the semiauto rounds.

The unburned few flakes of powder are going to happen. With semiauto rounds prety much most of the powders used are gonna be dirty, and sooty with a few unbuned flakes.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Lead Express

Interesting to know about the feel method. I'm just a bit cautious as I think I should be with being new to reloading. Thank you for the input!
Old January 23, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4
south.texas.dead.I

Its gonna have a little more pressure when using all 5 stations at the same time because you've got more cases being operated on vs just one at a time.

Living another day
To bust another clay
Old January 23, 2012, 08:58 AM   #5
excelerater

6.4 is a little hot,I usually load 6.0 of PP and it shoots fine and clean
That press is another story,but it will never deliver the consitancy
round after round - crimps always need to be just a touch on the top of the case,I like to see as little a crimp line as possible just enough to bend the
brass back into shape with the smallest of bevels and I mean SMALL
Old January 23, 2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Lead Express

On Alliant, their published max is 7.2, while Lee's is 6.9. I thought 6.4 was a good load to start with and feels fine. The recoil feels a bit light but it does sound a bit louder. I get what you mean with the press though. It's what I paid for and will have to do for now. Thank you for the crimp info!
Old January 24, 2012, 04:23 AM   #7
mumbo719

Quote:
When I run in a progressive mode, there seems to be much more resistance
Try lubing your cases. You don't have to with carbide dies but you will reduce operator fatigue greatly and press will run smoother.

Quote:
my set OAL of 1.125 goes to 1.30-1.140
That is flex in the shell plate, all progressives do that. When setting up your seating die make the adjustments with all stations full.

If your goal is 1.125 seating depth don't worry about a variation +/- .005. There is something definitely wrong if your 1.125 goes up to 1.14 though if you have properly set up the seating die.

Make sure the Lee seat/crimp die is ONLY seating bullet, let the FCD do the crimp.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8
BDS-THR

When you are reloading on a progressive press, you need to finalize your OAL/taper crimp measurements with the shell plate full of cases as resizing of case resistance will tilt the shell plate more than when you are running only one case.

This is PowerBond RNFP bullet loaded to 1.125" OAL and .420" taper crimp that works well in all of my pistols.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB.jpg (44.1 KB, 35 views)
Old January 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
kalevatom

Yep, cases in all stations on a progressive, and a light mist of case lube will work wonders. even if you have carbide dies. You'll always get a few thou variance on your OAL. I like WST powder in my 40. Very clean, no unburned powder.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Lead Express

Thank you all for the insight. I'll be pressing another hundred or so within the next few days, and I can do so with a bit more confidence. I appreciate all of help!
Old January 24, 2012, 04:57 PM   #11
excelerater

6.4 of PP in a 40 is hot IMO..
Old January 25, 2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Lead Express

I'm running a few with 6.0 grains and will test them out. Thank you, Excelerator.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:37 AM   #13
excelerater

i plink w 6.0g of PP in my 40 loads......usually w my P226
Old February 1, 2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Lead Express

Thanks! I too shoot with the P226 and Glock 23. I tried out a batch of 6.0 gn power pistol and it does the trick.
Old February 2, 2012, 05:42 PM   #15
excelerater

cool deal

Tags
40 s&w , crimp , lee loadmaster , reloading help