The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 23, 2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

went to watch my 2nd CMSA event... got a couple Montados... Thinking about holsters.

your thoughts ???

looked like there were at least 4 & maybe 5 different styles... as budding new holster maker / designer, I'm interested in maybe making my own...

the 1st event was just a demo at the local fair, & level 3-4 was the most skilled shooters... the 2nd event was a regional, & there were alot better shooters, but they were also focused on the competition, & resulting paycheck, to futz with a budding leather worker...

I guess since I'm not much of a horse guy, I don't "know" how to improve on the designs...

some carried in special 2 gun shoulder holsters, the bulk in 2 gun front rigs, from low chest to belt level, some were just using dump holsters on the saddles, a couple used custom rigs that seemed to mount on the saddle horn...

after 2 days of watching, I starting thinking a leather vest, with 2 holsters built into the front would give more stability, than some of the rigs I saw...

any of you guys that play this game want to talk holsters or offer any suggestions???
Old August 23, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Hardcase

Sorry to not have any suggestions for you - I just wish that we had something like that in my neck of the woods. That seems like just the ticket for one of the many rodeos or fairs that we have during the summer!

I'm not a rider, but I'd sure love to watch!
Old August 23, 2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

not into horses... but obviously into the guns... appearently the local saddle club has been holding this type of event or competition ( at least locally ) for 50 years... this was their 50th aniversary of these events... & it's the 1st I ever heard about it... there was only a blurb in the local paper... I'm guessing there are more events like this than most of us know about... I turned a couple of my buddys on to this, ( being regionals, it was a 2 day event ) & everyone loved it...

if you have a local saddle club, it would be worth checking with them...
Old August 24, 2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

no mounted shooters here, willing to help drag someone new into the sport ???

got the neighbor lady who I fixed a couple of her harness straps, about talked into letting her use my guns, if I can use her horse, just for us to try it one time... but would need some holsters 1st

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 24, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old August 24, 2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Interesting subject.
I have a friend and his wife who are into the cowboy mounted shooting. She had a mastectomy that hindered her movements during the healing stage. She rigged her holster to be accessible without pain and is now winning championships.
They want me to photograph some of their horses. I think I'll ask to take pictures of her holster rig and post. It may be of help to others.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Hardcase

I watched a few videos at http://www.cowboymountedshooting.com/. Man, that looks like an absolute hoot! I think I'm going to call a few of the saddle clubs like MWM suggested and see if they know anything. Heck, I don't mind a little organizing, even if I'm not a rider...it looks like a whole pile of fun just to watch!
Old August 24, 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I had friends that are neither gun people nor horse people that went to watch the regionals held here last weekend, & they greatly enjoyed watching it, & said they would definately go to another if they knew about it...

a couple of us ( being ATV people ) have talked about doing similar off the ATV's... only real difference, would be all shooting would have to be done with the left hand, since the throttles are on the right side...

I have trails in the windbreak around my place, & a lap could be timed, with ( as they do in CMSA ) a 5 second penalty added for every balloon missed...

I'll have to try to do some black powder reloads ( BTW for those that don't know, they shoot balloons with coarse black powder blanks, & the burning embers pop the balloons, there is no bullet or shot of any kind )

hmmm... maybe if I got good enough shooting left handed & built a rig set up that way, if I tried transitioning to horses, I could just shoot left handed ???