The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2001, 02:36 AM   #1
OF

Howdy all,

I'm looking into picking up a weapon-mounted lamp for my HK USP40. The gun will go into a simplex-lock box and be the primary house pistol. I've done a bit of research so far and have narrowed the field to two candidates:

- Wilcox 'Beamer' 6V visible/IR [~$270]
- SureFire 309R 3-volt [~$240]

The Wilcox is hard to find information on, so I'm more interested in experiences with that unit than the SureFire. The 309R is well liked, it would appear, and a good bet any way around.

The Wilcox seems to have a couple potential points in it's favor, however:

- It's supposed to be built like a tank. Waterproof, drop it in the mud and sand, the whole thing. I've heard mixed reviews on the SureFire lights and their ability to soak up abuse. I like gear that can take a beating.

- There's an IR mode on the Wilcox which, while perhaps being less-than-practical, is still undeniably cool.

- The unit has a separate mount (that stays on the gun) and a detachable light unit. I can put the lamp on more weapons later by purchasing only the mounts and not whole units, even long guns.

The price is fairly comparable, the Wilcox is a bit more expensive, but not enough to make the decision. If more mounts are added later, the Wilcox system supposedly reaps more cost benefits as time goes on.

Does anyone have any experience with these units, and what would you do? Why have I not heard more about the Wilcox system, it sure looks nice.

Thanks folks,

- gabe
Old February 8, 2001, 04:45 PM   #2
Onslaught

I'm kinda curious, if you don't mind, as to why you ruled out the UTL? I have one on my HK, and it is MORE than adequate. Best of all, it is LIGHTWEIGHT, and it doesn't stick out conspicuously far in front of the pistol. I am quite satisfied that I did NOT opt for the others.

For me, the SureFire was OUT, as it is only marginally brighter, while being heavier, and longer.

I too, will admit that the IR mode, and the ability to attach the laser as well as the light is KOOOOOOL!
Old February 10, 2001, 03:05 PM   #3
OF

I have a fiend with the UTL on his USP40 and he's had problems with bulbs going out. The newer surefire's don't stick out in front of the pistol nearly as conspicuously as the older styles, I have a 6Z handheld, and think it's great, and the field reports on the surefire systems are almost universally positive. The UTL also seems a bit expensive, what did you pay for yours?

- gabe
Old February 22, 2001, 04:25 PM   #4
Onslaught

Sorry I took so long... I was at Mardi Gras

I payed less than $200 for it, but it was years ago. CDNN's got a sale on them now.... pretty sweet deal!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tacligmkii11.html