The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 30, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
rotten mick

finally bought some nail polish for my sights.

Yep..... finally bought and applied some nail polish to my sights. Been thinking and reading of guys doing it for awhile but kept looking for a deal on some new sights.. Damn why did I wait so long...... I love it!!!!
I did one gun as a test, but it made such a difference I pulled the twin out of the safe and did its sights too... what a putz I was to not do it before.
Anyone thinking or not sure about doing it.... get up, get in the truck an hit up walgreens now. Under $5 nail polish, toothpicks and some alcohol pads or bottle.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
southjk

Glad it worked well for you. I was considering it myself when the front dot fell out of my Shield. I fixed it with liquid paper though. Do you have any pictures of your handiwork you can post?
Old August 30, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
ThomasT

I have been painting front sights for many years. I used nail polish when I first started but found that Testors model paints work far better.

I have a Hobby Lobby close by that has a good selection of colors. I buy the Day-Glo orange. If you can't find the model paints then a spray can of dayglo orange works too. Neon green is also easy to see.

If you paint a base coat of white first your top coat wil pop out much brighter. If you use spray can paint just spray a small amount in a plastic cup, bottom of a coke can or something similar. And toothpicks are the best thing for painting the sight with.
Old August 30, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
KMAX

I had the wife paint the sights on my Blackhawk yesterday and it makes a world of difference for me.
+1 for the basecoat idea. This is what she did. I would have done it myself but I can't paint anything without getting paint everywhere. She is a good painter.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old August 30, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
vito

I used Testor orange paint on a front sight, and then forgot I had done it when I brought the gun to a LDS as a possible trade-in. The price he offered me was ridiculously low, and when I asked why, he said it was in part due to the hand painted sight. It took me all of two minutes to remove the paint with Goop Off and that added $100 to the trade-in value.

I have found that painted sights can be helpful, but Crimson Trace lasers are even more helpful.
Old August 30, 2013, 03:57 PM   #6
rotten mick

sorry, here is the pic.

My twins, Fraternal that is.......
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old August 30, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
southjk

Looks good!
Old August 30, 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I am glad you posted.
I went off and left a white base coat to dry and forgot about it. And I will shoot it tomorrow. Now it has the red top coat.