The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 23, 2004, 04:31 PM   #1
cswaffie

mouseover display

Is there a way to turn off the feature that displays the first five or six lines of a thread when I put my mouse over the title in any given forum? If you don't what I mean, check out the image below. This is what happens when I put my mouse over a thread title. Help! Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (42.9 KB, 47 views)
Old May 23, 2004, 06:24 PM   #2
gyp_c2

hmmm...

I dunno, I don't like it either. I think the admin can toggle it off...I'm gonna' try to disable some stuff and re-check it. I'm sure someone will tell us eventually...hang in...
Old May 23, 2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I'll be honest, I like it a lot. I'm pretty sure it can't be turned off for individuals without turning it off entirely, and even that probably requires a hack, but I don't know.

I'm surprised it bothers you. I find it pretty helpful.
Old May 23, 2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Fred Hansen

Wow! I like that feature! I didn't even know it was there until I saw this. Then again, my mouse finger is my trigger finger. lol
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 23, 2004, 07:30 PM   #5
Lancel

If we're voting, I find it very useful.

(You can always hover your mouse over another column if desired.)
Larry
Old May 23, 2004, 08:00 PM   #6
tc300mag1

I didnt know it had this feature but i likes it
Old May 24, 2004, 12:19 AM   #7
croyance

I both like and dislike it.
It is great when my internet connection is slow because of local rain. Also, when a thread is long, I get a sense of what is going on.
I dislike it when I am looking over threads with new postings and the thing keeps popping up when I don't move the mouse.
Horse a-piece. Useful tool, I guess.

"As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand." - Josh Billings

"God and the Mauser" - Kruger war cry
Old May 29, 2004, 02:54 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

cswaffie - I'm bringing this back up as I just discovered a way to disable the popup thread blurbs. I was looking at the page source and saw that the blurbs appeared to be under an if statement controlled by the alt key. If you press the Alt key alone it seems to toggle the popups. It also toggles other functions so it isn't an ideal solution, but it works. Play with the Alt key and see if it works for you.
Old May 31, 2004, 09:57 PM   #9
boing

My hero.

What other functions does it disable?

Edit: actually, seems to eliminate the existing preview box, but another one pops up when the mouse is moved over another link. (You're still my hero, though. )
Old June 3, 2004, 09:38 AM   #10
cswaffie

Mal,

Many thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately, I don't have an ALT key as I am blissfully deep in the world of Macintosh. I tried CRTL, Option, Shift-option, command-option, command, and function option, but none work. Oiy! One would think it would be an option in the "User CP," no? Hmmmm. Thanks for the help, though!
Old June 6, 2004, 07:05 PM   #11
karstho

Simple solution... or The best of both worlds

I too both like and dislike this feature. But I have discovered that if you are using a wheel mouse, you can simply keep the pointer in the last post column. then mouseover the thread you want to pre-read.. Works alright for me, maybe it will for others too...