The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2001, 11:38 PM   #1
Ironbarr

Lube (again) - Ballistol - anybody use this?

I was handed a sample in a small squirt can. The other day at the range I noted they had the normal size... and read a company PR piece of two pages (in font size 8). Ballistol (German Mfr) has been around a while, emulsifies with water and stays put after water evaps. The PR piece gives skatey-eight places to use and enjoy - including firearms.

I haven't seen it mentioned on any recent thread re cleaners/lubes.

Anbody use it?
Old July 3, 2001, 06:01 PM   #2
JNewell

OK, I'll give you two data points, but I haven't reached any conclusions.

1. Ballistol is what SIGArms Academy is using for cleaning and lubing. That's a pretty good number of shooters, so maybe there's something there.

2. Due to some very complicated semi-emergency circumstances this winter, I had to store some firearms, including some repro flintlocks with bright metal, in an unheated building this winter. I knew, when I did this, that in our climate condensation is a fact of life and metal rusts in this unheated building during the winter. Had no choice. I took a chance and coated everything with Ballistol, including the wood next to all metal surfaces. (I used a hand sprayer and applied with my hands, in a fairly thick coat.) The first piece of good news was that none of the metal showed any signs of corrosion at all after 8 weeks. The second piece of good news was that none of the stocks showed any signs of having had a "chemical" on them, unlike what usually happens when you get a petroleum-based product on wood (darkens wood, sometimes harms finish).

I have not really tried to evaluate it as a cleaner or as a lubricant. I will say that as a preservative it passed a pretty harsh real-world test. I am continuing to experiment...would be interested to hear from others.
Old July 3, 2001, 06:09 PM   #3
johnwill

I have a small spray can of it, but I haven't used it on my guns yet, got it for general lubrication of hinges and the like...
Old July 3, 2001, 09:02 PM   #4
BigG

I see spray cans of it like the size of a can of Krylon that costs either 12.95 or 15.95, I can't remember right now. Has a nice smell. Seems pricey. I'm still sticking to Breakfree and silicone cloths right now.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 3, 2001, 09:09 PM   #5
Ironbarr

Seems I ...

remember $5 something, but I'll check that out.
Old July 3, 2001, 09:56 PM   #6
slickpuppy

I have used the stuff for around 5 years now. It has excellent penetrating properties and I have used it to clean bores that didn't have much fouling in them.

Mostly I use it to wipe down my firearms before I put them up.

You can usually find it at Home Depot. I was about out a couple of weeks ago and found some at my local gunshop. The large spray can was $7.95.
I'm sure Home Depot is less.
Old July 7, 2001, 08:55 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's a favorite among some of the blackpowder crowd.
Old July 8, 2001, 07:20 PM   #8
Bill Daniel

Ballistol came with my Benelli M-90 12 years ago as Benelli's prefered cleaning lubricant. I have used it extensively on all my shot guns both target and hunting with excellent results. NO damage to synthetic stocks or fine wood finishes, excellent metal protection and no appreciable build-up.

All the best,
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old July 8, 2001, 08:30 PM   #9
Ironbarr

Thanks for your inputs...

any idea if it will stand up to a day of 50/100 rounds of .45ACP at the range in a new stainless steel (Charles Daly) 1911A1????

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old July 9, 2001, 05:09 PM   #10
slickpuppy

Ironbarr,
I personally prefer a different lube than Ballistol for the slide rails of a 1911. I use Neco MolySlide on the rails, barrel, bushing, and slide release lever that see heavier friction.

MolySlide has no preservation properties, so I ensure that my firearms are stored with plenty of dessicant and corrosion inhibitor tabs and bags in addition to wiping them down with Ballistol before I put them in the safe. For me its necessary since I live on an island surrounded by salt water and air.