The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
chrisintexas

For home/personal defense would you choose a pistol or a revolver

I know I am asking some questions you would say already been answered but I don't know if this has been answered. Thanks.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Obviously, I'm going with the revolver. My hand has evolved into a revolver gripping extremity.

Bob Wright
Old September 12, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
roaddog28

For me its easy. I am a revolver man. My home defense hand gun is a revolver.
Good luck,
Howard
Old September 12, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
kraigwy

S&W 642
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 12, 2012, 08:24 PM   #5
bbqbob51

Combination

In our quick access safe I have a loaded 9mm Stoeger Cougar and a Ruger LCR for me and My wife has a Taurus 85 snub nose. My concealed carry gun is the LCR. I love revolvers for their simplicity and my semi auto Cougar for the extra capacity.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Revoliver

I chose and use and gp100 revolver.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Shotgun693

I have a S&W M65 and a SXS 12 ga close by. I carry the M65 or Single Action Colt.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
jasmith85

I prefer shooting semi-autos but when it all comes down to it I would trust a revolver a little more. They have fewer ways to malfunction.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Tortuga12

A model 15 under the bed, and a model 10 in the office for me!
Old September 12, 2012, 09:48 PM   #10
gunluver

MY platform of choice is the 1911, with a DA revolver second. That being said, I choose to keep 2 loaded revolvers within easy access around the house.
Reason.....my WIFE is comfortable with them.
So for our family, house protection duty falls on a revolver. For my carry gun, I use a 1911 or a snub .38 depending on mood.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:53 PM   #11
JC57

I would choose a semi-auto pistol. Wife chooses revolvers. I also like revolvers and have several, so if you ask me on a different day there may be a different answer.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Redhawk5.5+P+

My bed buddy is my CZ75B backed with my Ruger SP101 125mag SJHPs as a NY reload, as if 15 shot's of 124g +P HP 9MMs isn't enough, my carry is a S&W 638 J-frame airweight. My desk gun is a S&W is a S&W 37 airweight backed up with a Ruger Redhawk 44mag load hot. Lately I've been carrying my Glock 20 (10mm) in my car on short trips just for the fun of it.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Which ever one you can shoot accurately, and reliably. Learning to shoot properly, and a lot of practice can help one decide if they are limited to only one type. I have both, use both at different times, different situations. The importance is being proficient whit what ever you choose.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 12, 2012, 11:20 PM   #14
FloridaVeteran

Chris - assuming you asking this question as a newbie to handguns, then the answer is a revolver. That is because you wouldn't ask if you were experienced with them, in particular a semi-auto.

It is difficult enough for a new-ish shooter to deal with the adrenaline-squared reaction to a life-threatening situation. Your primary need is reliability. Think of an analogy in flashlights: one is none, two is one. A shrouded-hammer double-action revolver will fire if you pull the trigger, and if it doesn't, it will fire when you pull the trigger again.

A semi-auto is almost as reliable IF and ONLY IF you have a cartridge chambered. Many, many semi-auto owners are chicken to keep chambered-cartridge semi-autos at the ready. It's true and often for good reason, such as little kids being in the house. But in that circumstance, adrenaline-squared can = pulling the trigger on an empty chamber in a semi-auto, a Wile-E-Coyote moment that can end your life.

Once you consider yourself "gun savvy," and I don't mean that in a macho-challenging sense - more like a 10-handicap guy in golf, then go for the semi-auto. My antiquated but Army-taught rule of thumb is, if you can't disassemble and reassemble your 1911 (semi-auto) in pitch-black darkness, then you are not expert in its handling and use.

If you are protecting yourself and/or your family, ditch all ego issues (not that you mentioned any). Go to a range, rent guns, practice and find what feels and shoots best, feel comfortable that you can repeat most of that in the dark (not including field-stripping), and then you have found a proper self-defense gun.

If I were Johnny Carson as Karnak, I'd see a revolver in your immediate future, followed by a semi-auto later on.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Which ever one you can shoot accurately, and reliably. Learning to shoot properly, and a lot of practice can help one decide if they are limited to only one type.
For how many thousands of folks have asked the same question, this remains the only honest answer.

Also, revolvers are pistols.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:00 AM   #16
Glenn Dee

IMO... Either would work just fine. However the autoloader would require a bit more of a commitment to training, safety awareness, and maybe rotating magazines. While a revolver also requires you commit to some training, it's a lot more simple to store loaded over a period of time.

Much is said about the revolver being the more reliable of the two. My personal experience is that they both give about the same reliability. Modern ammo, in modern semi-auto pistols have mostly eliminated the idea that Auto's are inherently unreliable.

My personal choice is the revolver. For what is called a bedside gun I have a Colt detective special. The revolver allowes the choice of mixing ammo. The first chamber is loaded with snake shot. Many accidental shootings that happen in the home are mistaken ID shootings. This gives me the option of a very less than lethal first shot. Second and third chambers loaded with frangible rounds. I live in an apartment and dont want overpenitration. The last three rounds are semi jacketed +p hollowpoints. If the fight go's past three rounds.. I want some potent medicine to finish it.

IN addition I have a short double barrel shotgun loaded with 12ga birdshot.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:09 AM   #17
Kreyzhorse

I would choose the gun I'm most comfortable with. A well made auto can be just as reliable as a well made revolver. I'm comfortable with both but usually keep a Glock 22 close by at night.

Pick a gun you are comfortable with, is reliable and accurate and you've made the right choice.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:12 AM   #18
saltydog452

All cylinders firing, oil warmed up...not always

Not everyone wakes instantly alert. Admittedly, I sleep lighter when traveling but at home, handgun is at least one step away from the bed and is either a revolver or a long stroke striker fired Kahr. 'Nite Sights' are a good thing.

salty
Old September 13, 2012, 06:31 AM   #19
GP100man

Torch lite in 1 hand & a GP100 in the other !!
Old September 13, 2012, 06:41 AM   #20
Hal

Dogs first - then either the CZ75b or the Kimber .45acp...

Quote:
My hand has evolved into a revolver gripping extremity.
LOL! Mine morphed the other way,,,,
It went from a revolver gripping extremity to a semi auto one.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:51 AM   #21
DVC9

For home defense, we primarly keep a number of revolvers stationed in stategic locations around the house.

However, I also have an auto, (Ber 96) that resides in the dresser, with a shoulder rig and tac light, loaded and ready to don should there be enough lead time to do so. In the ajacent corner is a 870P for good measure
Old September 13, 2012, 07:17 AM   #22
BloodyBucket03

If I had to choose between semi or revolver?

When we are talking HD at my house my first option would be my Mossberg 500 then my AR15. If I had a choice to use only a handgun in a HD situation I would probably go with my S&W Governor which I purchased for Anti-Car Jacking duty. I like the idea of having the .410 Shot shell with Winchester PDX1 or 000 Buckshot for close work.
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36
Old September 13, 2012, 07:49 AM   #23
SRH78

My nightstand gun is 6" GP 100 but since I can conceal a full size auto much easier, my ccw is an M&P.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:58 PM   #24
BigJimP

The real answer....is pick the gun that you shoot the best...and in whatever platform you're the most comfortable with....

We know what you mean ...but revolvers are pistols too ...
------------------
Personally I shoot at least twice a week...mostly with a variety of 1911's ( in 9mm and .45 acp ) ...and with a variety of revolvers - all S&W K, L and N frames...mostly .357 mag..../ my primary carry gun is a 5" 1911 in .45 acp ...my office desk gun(not in my home) is a 4" 1911 in 9mm ...but my bedroom gun is a K frame S&W mod 66 in a 4" in .357 mag with a speed strip next to it with some extra rounds.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:43 PM   #25
BloodyBucket03

Quote:
The real answer....is pick the gun that you shoot the best...and in whatever platform you're the most comfortable with....

We know what you mean ...but revolvers are pistols too ...
I agree with that to a certain degree. I own a few weapons & I feel guns are like tools. One tool is not a "does all" for one particular job but certain tools work better for a particular job. For HD in the home I like a 12 Gauge Shotgun & the A15 or a similar battle carbine's. I guess because of my background & experience I am more partial to those weapons for HD purposes & I feel they are more ideal & tailored for that type of work. Not saying a revolver or semi-auto pistol couldn't do the job but I just think that platform is better suited.
"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buyone.'' Luke 22:36