The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
RamItOne

Trijicon RX30-23

Just clicked buy on amazon, new w/ next day shipping $560, best I've found with the throw lever mount (seen the mount sold for 136 at optics planet), my LGS wanted 590 + tax with the weaver mount (screw on), so felt $560 w/ shipping no tax and the mount I wanted. Now just nervous about the front factory iron sight. I plan on going through the hoops of getting a short barrel sometime this year and plan on shifting the new optic over to that weapon. But for now I'm happier than a pig in slop.

Reasons for this choice,
They do have an RX34 which still has the 42 mm optic but with a 4.5 moa dot vs 6moa. I went with 6moa figure will still perform well at 100 yards and should have no issue with target acquisition regardless of lighting condition or background.

The RX01 (24 mm optic) just seemed to small for two eye operation

I like the way the EO techs look (they've gotten shorter over the years) however I swear I hate how grainy the image is, I dunno, maybe its in part with my eyes, but that 6moa dot is crisp as can be for me when I demo'd the trijicon.
The battery deal wasn't a con for me with the EO but it was more of a plus with the trijicon.

Any opinions welcome, I should receive it tomorrow and I'm off on friday, so I'll try to give my input after my first day out on the range.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
RamItOne

was at my doorstep when I got home from work!

just for fun
Old February 9, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
eddyb74

I picked up the same sight last year. It's a great sight but with no magnification and that huge dot you are gonna need big targets to get it sighted in at 100 yds.

Old February 9, 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
RamItOne

I spent some time debating between the 4.5 and 6 moa, I like iron sights at 100, its more pure i guess. I got the optic to take on a few hogs in the brush someday soon.
Old February 10, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Syntax360

It's a decent optic, but if I were doing it all over again, I'm not sure I would buy it. The dot is awful big at 100+ yards and it sucks if you are aiming into a more brightly lit place in the dark. On the other hand, I never have to worry about batteries and the dot is bright as all get-out in the daylight.

Old February 11, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
RamItOne

Sighting in was cake.

Grouping at 50 yards with crap Serbian steel cased monarch.

Also picked up a buis

Old July 31, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
eddyb74

I shot a 3 gun recently and it was so bright out that the dot turned into a big star. A piece of blue painters tape over the light gatherer solved the problem.
Old August 16, 2012, 03:36 PM   #8
RamItOne

great tip eddyb74, being in fla I shoot in shade during the summer, but Ill sure try that out once it gets cooler.

Last week i tried it out @ 200 yards, had a 12" target so you just had to cover up the target w/ the dot, was a breeze, two thirty round magazines 1 minute to shoot each mag (the range has a 2 second between shot policy), all hit, some i couldnt count as with that many rounds some grouped together making larger holse, but unless i completely missed the cardboard backing that the target was stapled to, all hit the target. think thats called minute of bad guy

Tags
acog , aimpoint , reflex , rx30 , trijicon