The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2007, 10:53 AM   #1
jpainter

Hi newbie with a question

Hi all, been lurking for awhile now, thought Id get your advice on something. I need/WANT a auto powder dispenser. Which one is best? The Lyman 1200 DPS, The RCBS Chargemaster 1500, or the Pact High Speed Precision Powder Dispenser. Any favorites and why? Thanks, James
Old March 13, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Vartarg

Rcbs

All my knowledge is second hand....I have two Harrell's powder measures. You might check out Midway USA's site, and read the reviews of the various products. I believe RCBS seems to be favored.....
Old March 13, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3
steve4102

I have the Lyman 1200. It has never failed me and I wouldn't be without it. I chose the Lyman over the RCBS because of price. At the time the RCBS was quite a bit more $. The RCBS has come down in price a bit since then.
I have read that quite a few Lyman owners have been disappointed with the quality and the speed. I for one have not had a bit of trouble. I always double check the powder dumped from the Lyman on my 505 scale, it works great.

That said, if I had to do it all over again I think I would go with the RCBS. Great customer service and the Chargemaster is supposed to be faster.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
ShootingNut

Lee Pro Powder

Works great, best of all at the right price. Check it out!!
Old March 14, 2007, 06:17 AM   #5
RERICK

Chargemaster

This has been talked about a lot.check the thread below. I have a chargemaster and I would buy it again. Its very fast and accurate as well.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...t=chargemaster
Old March 14, 2007, 09:29 AM   #6
jpainter

AHHH, the search feature. Im sorry, Ill use it first next time. Thanks for the link. James
Old March 14, 2007, 09:33 AM   #7
boltgun71

I dont have any experience with the RCBS or Pact model you mentioned, but I have a Lyman 1200 DPS that I am very happy with. It is very accurate and reliable. With its trickler it has always weighed the exact amount to the 1/10 of a grain. It really speeded up my reloading process and holds quite a bit of powder as well. Clean-up is real simple also with its "back door" and supplied brush. I havent used it memory feature yet, I just simply punch in the desired amount each time. If the RCBS powder dispenser is anything like there other equipment I am sure it will be fine. The majority of my other equipment from press to dies is RCBS and perform great. My first electric scale was a small cheap Pact model(dont remember specific model) and the LCD screen blanked out on it and the power would come on/off on its own. I was not happy at all with the Pact. Just my experience and opinons, hopefully they can help yah.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I have a PACT, bought because I already had their scale and the dispenser was on sale. It does quite well, delivering rifle loads to the set weight or a tenth of a grain less; very rarely a tenth over. Takes about 20 seconds, so I dispense a load, drop it in the case, and seat a bullet over it while the machine is working on the next load.

I think the RCBS is a more refined design, the dispenser sets behind the scale instead of beside it, and one power cord serves both. But it is more expensive.
Old March 14, 2007, 09:43 AM   #9
steelrat

I picked up the RCBS a few weeks ago and love it. I would recomend it to anyone.
Old March 14, 2007, 10:10 AM   #10
cdoc42

I have a RCBS electronic scale that must be calibrated with the electronic powder dispenser (older model). The scale went nuts and I sent it back to RCBS. They sent me a new one, same model. It wasn't working and they told me to send it to PACT since they no longer supply this model (PACT was selling the same system at the time and was making them for RCBS). PACT charged me for the repair even though my position was it was a new unit and should have been under warranty. I contacted RCBS and all they did was sent me a credit voucher for purchasing more goods. I didn't understand having to spend the cash to get the warranty coverage. I wasn't happy with their response. In any event the system is back to up and running, but the older unit is slow. However, I use a Lee scoop to start the charge then allow the dispenser to bring it to final weight while I'm seating a bullet from the last charge.
Old March 15, 2007, 09:50 AM   #11
jpainter

I got the RCBS, Midsouth for 272 shipped. Im stoked, cant wait to try it out tomorrow. THANKS for the input. James