The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 27, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

How do you guys buy guns?

Well, I am having a hard time figuring out if I want to save up for the more expensive guns I want now, or if I just want to buy the cheaper ones as I can.

I have a long list of guns and at the top is NIB DSA FAL that is 2100, and at the bottom of my list is the EAA witness that I just made a thread on at 450. I could buy the one , and another cheaper one or just keep saving for the FAL.

Hmmm decisions, decisions. I am kind of an instant gratification person so the quicker I can buy whatever ususally the happier I am. I have wanted a FAL for a long time though.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Sparks1957

I own a mix of relatively inexpensive (not cheap) and more expensive guns.
The lower priced ones are fun and I don't worry about them getting some wear and tear, while the others get plenty of use but I try not to beat them up.

Variety is nice. If they have safeties, use them.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Metal god

I'm at the point that I ask my self do I need the gun I want . Do I have guns that are and or do just about the same thing as the one I want . If so it gets pushed lower on the short list . Another thing I do not want to do right now is start buying new calibers that I don't already have . It's just more ammo I need to buy . Right now I want a long range 308 rig that win is all said and done will set me back at least 2k . Thats #1 on the list , #2 is a marlin ss 30-30 . When I get to the $600 mark of my savings for the next gun . It's going to be real hard not to buy the Marlin . We will see how that goes when I get there

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 27, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Drhc116

I generally buy the ones I want when time and money permit. I do not really have a want list in any specific order, if I see a gun I have been looking for and have the cash on hand, I pick it up. To me it does not really matter as to what order I cross various items off of my list. I have guns suited for any task that may arise and therefore only buy new ones simply out of want and not need.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
ltc444

I buy guns which fit a niche in my battery. Currently, I need a companion pistol in 44 Mag to go with my 94 trapper in 44 mag.

I typically look to private sellers who have a gun in good condition. Generally, you can find them in good condition at a reasonable price.

I have an EAA witness which I have found to be accurate and functional. Remember the old Architectural axiom "form follows function."
Old November 27, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
1 old 0311-1

Cheap will always be cheap. Higher priced will always go up.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Dr Big Bird PhD

With a credit card
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 27, 2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Prof Young

Switching to quality.

Shooters:

I am in the process of switching over from low cost lesser quality guns to more costly better quality. My last long gun purchase was a Henry Golden in 45 colt. I'm going to sell off my hi-point 9mm and get a Beretta in the same caliber. I'm still debating if I'm going to unload the Tarus Raging Bull in 44 mag.

All my cheaper guns have functioned well and been decently accurate, but I think I want a few guns that I can pass on to children and grand children and will last a few generations.

LIve well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old November 28, 2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Skans

I've had a "list" of guns I want since 1980....no, before that if you include bb and pellet guns.

I never end up buying everything on my list. I find new guns to add to my list, and some guns that were on the list tend to drop off because I lose interest or they are way out of my price range. Sometimes I even buy a gun that was never on my list.

My "list" is not written down anywhere - it exists only inside of my head. But, if you ask, I can rattle off my list of guns wanted at any given time. In fact, I am more familiar with what is on my list than what is now in my safe.

Yes, I'm a gunoholic....it all started with "the list".
Old November 28, 2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Keepin_Jeepin

Its funny you mention that I am ususally the same. I however did write down my list in an attempt to find my next gun purchase.

I still do not know which on yet
Old November 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

It used to be that I had no need for any higher priced gun that didn't do the job better than a less expensive gun. And I pretty much still feel that way, pretty much that is. I still buy/own Rugers instead of S&W's or CZ's, still with Savages over Remington, Sako, etc. And you'd be hard pressed to call my guns junk. But a few years ago I decided quality was better than quantity and upgraded mnay of my arms. Some with some homebrewing and elbow grease, some with I did some sellin and buying. On the reliability level my guns are still the same old workhorses they've always been. They just function a little better (triggers etc.), they just fit me and my needs better and look nicer now.
Old November 28, 2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Metal god

The long range 308 I want just went on sale for $800 . Thats about $175 off . This is such the wrong time of year to spend that kind of coin on a want and not a need . It's going to take alot of will power not to buy it .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 29, 2012, 04:12 AM   #13
Keepin_Jeepin

L_Killkenny

I dont buy guns because I need any of them anymore. I buy strictly because I enjoy having lots of them and collecting. None that I buy now really have a job other than being fun to enjoy on the range.
Old November 29, 2012, 11:00 AM   #14
the jigger

Witness?

Jeepin'
I'd like to know why the Witness is at the bottom of your list.
Have you ever shot one?
Have you handled one?
Have you compared the polymer to the all steel?
I own three all-steel Witness pistols- 40S&W compact, 45ACP compact,
45ACP full-size.
They are three of the best pistols I have ever owned and I have owned S&W,
Ruger, Glock, Taurus, and Colt.
I would not put any polymer pistol at the top of my list and I feel the same way about the alloy framed 1911's.
Call it an old man's predjudice!
Old November 29, 2012, 02:05 PM   #15
GlockieWa

According to caliber, model and price.