The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
sig220mwxxxx

Lack of powder choices these days.

Am I correct to assume that most of you have had difficulty finding your favorite powders on the store shelves? If not you are lucky or may live next to a powder plant. It has caused me to branch out and try others. While I was and still am angry about it, I have also discovered substitutes that have worked well and in 2 cases they are even less expensive. I have gone to the gun shops with burn rate chart in hand and scoured the shelves. It has kept me shooting and that is the goal.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
tekarra

I was lucky and stocked up on components before they became scarce.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Hammerhead

I was able to find plenty of Universal and Trail Boss, so I'm happy.
Not much seems to be missing from my LGS's shelves except pistol and small rifle primers.
With the de-facto defeat of any serious national anti-gun legislation, the panic should end soon.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
rclark

Your doing what I did after the last time around.... I have a whole shelf full of powders from testing and finding good loads.... That way, as you are finding, I can use (and recognize) other powders with confidence if needed. Of course, I also stocked up while I could, so not feeling the pince this time around (yet). Ran into some primers the other day and bought them all (only 800 CCI-300s).... Still doesn't bring me up to pre-ban-gun control levels.... But it helps.

Quote:
With the de-facto defeat of any serious national anti-gun legislation
I just got a message from the NRA that the bans and such can still be added as riders to other bills... So not out of the woods yet (if ever). "... will be allowed to offer it as an amendment to the gun control bill, the primary element of which is a proposal by Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) that would criminalize the private transfer of firearms between law-abiding Americans. The legislation is expected to be considered the week of April 8." <-- notice Democrats still 'pushing'.....

Quote:
Not much seems to be missing from my LGS's shelves
Lucky you! ... Around here there are signs that say "No powder until further notice" and that hasn't changed for weeks...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; March 24, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

Only thing I'm short on are mag LR primers and 4350 for my 7mm mag but I have other powders and standard LR primers that work decent. I will need a 2400 equivalent at some point though.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #6
sig220mwxxxx

Like you tekarra I stocked up on most components over the years. The primer shortage of the Clinton years taught me a lesson. I have plenty of those. I have decided that when this is over I will be buying the 8 lb jugs. Powder is the one thing I didn't buy extra but I do have a bit.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:53 PM   #7
t45

It took me over 2 months to purchase 4 different powders that were on my list. H335, H4198, Universal Clays and some Tite Group. It appears that availability here is getting a little better.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:07 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

Lack of powder choices these days.

I was pretty well stocked beforehand, except I only stocked enough Win296 for my M1 Carbines. Recently I purchased a M29 .44 mag and dug out my reloading dies for it. Now I have to be a little more careful how much .44 mag versus Carbine I shoot. I am planning to keep an eye out for alternatives such as AA9 or 4227 or 2400 in case they get available before 296/H110. My other great load used 7.0 gr of W231 with 240gr bullets and of course I only have a couple of pounds intended for my .45ACP.

Unfortunately I have not yet found a good medium .44 load with Unique of which I have a ton. I'm going to try Universal for a medium load too since I have a lot of that too.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Constrictor

powder valley has a lot of good powders in stock hogdon and winchester including hp38
Old March 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #10
reload

Powder Valley is currently out of stock for HP-38 and W231.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Burn rate charts are not the best method to determine what powder to substitute.
Take your cartridge and using several sources, fins acceptable substitutes and then go shopping.
Powder is available, you might need to get on a waiting list like i did, but I got 16 pounds after waiting about 6 weeks
Old March 25, 2013, 05:00 PM   #12
reload

Powder Valley must be restocking today, now have 1lb HP-38 in stock.