The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
alwayspackin1

writing on brass?

can anyone foresee any problems with writing on brass with say, a sharpie? for instance, for the sake of load development, you could label which were which?

just checking.

chris
Old November 17, 2009, 10:41 PM   #2
RyeDaddy

Absolutely no problems at all. I do this when developing loads every time now. Only took one time dropping an organized ammo box with a workup in it to figure out this was necessary. Try figuring out what's what with 50 rounds of all same components, just different powder levels. I just put an "A" or "B", etc. on each case with a fine tip Sharpie and write in my log book what each letter corresponds to.

Wipes right off with rubbing alcohol, or in the tumbler.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Mike40-11

Don't see how it would hurt, just have to clean it off later I guess.

What I usually do is use different colored sharpies and put a dot on the primers. Note card reminding me what color is what. When I'm done and decap to use the brass again, there are no extraneous markings to confuse me later.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:41 PM   #4
QBall45

Writing on side of case if not worth the effort.

Simply use differant colors and draw lines accross the case head.

Markings on the case wall end up smudgin off when fired.

Markings on case head tend to stay better aftering.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:17 AM   #5
Crankylove

I use sharpies on the case head, and case walls quite often. Makes it easy to identify different loads or the cases that wont be making the trip home due to cracked necks etc.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:40 AM   #6
rg1

I use a sharpie to write on pistol and rifle cases. Usually it's still readable after firing. Dillion Case lube on a rag will wipe off the sharpie marks. I suppose it's the alcohol in the Dillion lube that erases the sharpie marks.
Old November 18, 2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

when developing loads I usually use 50 round plastic ammo boxes, & load 10 rounds each with varrying charge weights ( & later when still tweaking, maybe varrying COL's ) per bullet, with all the rest of the load conditions the same... I use masking tape on the top of my box with a full component list & usually list my variable range of powder or COL for example, then I write with a sharpie on the side of each case on both ends of each row what the variable is... I've been doing it this way for years, & never had a problem with brass, & often have more trouble polishing off the sharpie than worrying about it coming off too soon... like I said, I don't write on every case, & I only do it when developing loads, & I just write 10.0, 10.3, 10.6, 10.9, 11.2 as an example on the sides for a range of powder charges on those 2 cartridges on each end of the row in the box... all other info is on the box

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; November 18, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old November 18, 2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Coloring the backs of case heads has long been used by bullseye shooters to identify their brass from that of others when policing the range. For load development, I often mark the bullet tips with a fine ring or two or three, etcetera, from a Sharpie. I only need the identification until the round is away, unless I am tracking load history of the brass. Rimless cases that I have set aside for firelapping or other special purposes get a colored Magic Marker applied to their extractor grooves. It takes a long time to wear color out of an extractor groove.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 18, 2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

I ran out of storage boxes for my rounds and had to store three different loads in the same plastic boxes. I just colored the case heads and next to the load date I put the color used in that round.
I have some very low pressure rounds that when fired do not completely seal the chamber, so I end up with dirty cases. Marking the side of the cases would not have been a good idea in my situation.
The color comes of in the tumbler.
Old November 18, 2009, 08:46 AM   #10
langenc

I down loaded some ammo for grandaughter to shoot in sons 300 WSM. Just laid the ammo on paper and 'sprayed' with white spray can.
Old November 18, 2009, 08:56 AM   #11
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I write on the sides of .303 cases when developing loads for a new Enfield, or a new load for an old Enfield. Never had sharpie come off through the act of firing and ejecting.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Sam06

No problem

I do it all the time. I also have used different colors to ID loads. I have colored the primers. If I have a round that is a little off on the powder I will make it and use it for a fouling shot.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:06 PM   #13
wncchester

"for instance, for the sake of load development, you could label which were which?"

Works for me. Denatured alcohol wipes it off, clean.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Bailey Boat

Am I the only one that uses zip lock baggies with a note inside?????
Old November 18, 2009, 02:06 PM   #15
maggys drawers

I write on the sides with a sharpie when working up a load for my M1. No problems there, and no question about the load. It vanishes when the brass goes into the tumbler next time.
Old November 18, 2009, 02:31 PM   #16
EdSky

I use sharpies and write the powder weight when working up loads. works fine on my .45, .38 super, and .9mm without problems. If all loads are within a small range, I'll use lines to represent .1 gr increments. But writing "6.2" in script stays readable on most pistol rounds.
Old November 18, 2009, 04:31 PM   #17
bullspotter

I do it all the time with my pistol and 223 ammo, that way when shooting at the range with my freinds, or shooting matches, i know what brass was mine, ill use differnt colors for differnt loads, most of the time ill mark them when loaded before storing them, this is also how ill keep track of my load data. I keep a book with color codes in it as to the load. works slick!!! Sometimes I will store some in zip lock bags with a note with load data, do this when all my 100 count boxes are full. I really like the red color sharpie, and nice shiny brass, gives a ammo a nice pretty custom look!!!!
Old November 18, 2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Dilligaf

I used to put a line across the bottom with a sharpie when they were in the box. Makes it easy to ID my brass from everyone else's at a match.
Old November 18, 2009, 07:18 PM   #19
stump shooter

I use a fine sharpie on rifle case sides. They come right off with 0000 steel wool when I'm wiping the neck for sizing.

I also use the sharpie on pistol load workup. Just tumble and forget.

Besides using medium size, colored sharpies on the case head to identify my pistol brass from others I will also run a fine sharpie around the primer edge and pocket to diffentiate different boxes of same lot rifle brass and their firings...1x from 0x, 2x from 1x, and so on. It keeps them straight until I get home and decap/size them. They then get the age update on the label.