The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
tank1949

AR BULL BARREL Accuracy

I have an AR old slick side upper that I installed a RR 24" .223 wylde bull barrel on. It is ss with 1x8 twist. It is heavy!!!! The carrying handle has been machined of and a weaver flat top style mount bolted. If you look at it from a few feet away, it resembles a flat top. It has an accue wedge and I also lay a piece of tape between upper and lower to force a tight fit. The gun will not consistently shoot accurately. I am a stickler for accuracy and I wanted to build a super varmint rifle. SUB MOA is demanded. I have a 15 x Leupold older LPS mounted on it. I have tried combinations of H4895 and IMR 8208 and wasted 500 + 69 gr SMK bullets. Working up loads, I have digital scale and Redding match powder thrower. I get no bullet run out, which is startling to me. But I have gauged them. My 30-06 is another story. I have to adjust every bullet. Nonetheless, I get excellent groups during one range event and then come back with a whole bunch of the best loads from the first trip only to sling them all over paper and have the group shift a couple of inches. Group shifting is horrible. Mind you, I always shoot this rife at 200 yds and make sure no wind. Loads go from 1" groups to 2 1/2 " groups and may be 2 inches low or high from previous trip. A fellow at the range suggested that it might be that the barrel is just too heavy for the receiver and any excess pressure from me on rifle/stock/grip from magazine back might be causing inconsistencies. I even go so far as to sort and weigh Winchester brass for this rifle . Any recommendation of any who have built this type rifle and experienced the same problems????
Old January 26, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Hummer70

Do you have a floating handguard installed on it? Was the guy that put barrel on a real AR mechanic or someone with tools that knew how it came off and went on?
What kind of sights? If scope the mount could be loose. Also the internal adjustments on the scope may be worn out and shift constantly.

What kind of bullets are you using to handload with?

You are not giving us much to work with here.

Did Bill Wylde build it or did you just get a barrel with a Wylde chamber? I know Bill and it doesn't sound like one of his.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
tank1949

all floating and barrel was chambered for 223 wylde. I assume wilson blank. I purchased from RR and torqued barrel and tube to upper myself. I have armor tools . I have digital torq wrench. I believe that I used 50 lbs of torq. I had barrel on a flat top upper but experienced the same. I want to use flat top for other options like a 16 " barrel that I also ordered from RR. I hope to use this old style if it will do job. I have a NF scope that I will try next range trip. I hate working up 52 grain loads with 400-500 brand new 69 smk bullets staring it me. If what I have read is accurate and the barrel is not too heavy for upper, then it makes sense that scope mt or itself is culprit. It is just a little more effort to remove NF from my Browning and sight it on the AR and then take it back off and resight it on Browning. I DO NOT LIKE THE RECOIL that the 300 Browning does to my shoulder.

THX!!!!!
Old January 26, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Nanuk

Torque on an ar barrel is overrated, I torque then turn to the next gas tube hole.. Did you lube the threads? with what? did you seat the threads before the final torque? Do you have another barrel you can test?

The barrel is not too heavy unless the upper is cracked, then it does not matter.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Last edited by Nanuk; January 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Nanuk

Forgot to mention, you need an armorer wrench and receiver block to properly install a barrel.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:54 AM   #6
kraigwy

With out examining the rifle or a lot more information I don't know the problem but I can pretty much guarantee the barrel isn't too heavy for the action.

I have some pretty heavy barrels that are dern accurate.

This one is 1 1/8 in diameter and it certainly isn't too heavy for the action.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 28, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
tank1949

I have never heard of seating threads. I had to lap to get gas tube hole lined up. Then clean up and put never seaze back on threads for final torq. I am going to range hopefully soon to test with NF. If same mess, then problem has to be rifle somewhere. Oh, had a few bench rest primers to test with too.

Thx

To all