The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 10, 2000, 09:57 PM   #1
umstud

I am going to get involved in IPSC and I have ordered a Para Ordnance P16-40 limited. I need some advice as to what modifications I should have done to the gun to be competitive in the limited class
Old February 10, 2000, 10:18 PM   #2
Skip

Actually, you can probably compete just fine with the gun as is. However, after I shot my P14-45 for a while, I had the gun high-gripped, the front strap checkered, a mag well added, and the front site replaced with a fiber-option version. Next will be a trigger job. But after all that work, the limiting factor is exactly what it was before: me. Ugh.
Old February 10, 2000, 10:49 PM   #3
SVSUPER

The first thing you do is get a new mag release. The one the gun comes with is plaastic and will become unreliable very quickly. New front optic front sight and you are ready to go. The sky is the limit basically, just depends on how much money you wish to put in the gun. The next edition for me would be a trigger job, smith and alexnader magwell, and tungsten guide rod to
add a little weight to the muzzle. If you want a bull barrel you can add it later. None of these really need to be done quickly except for the mag release, but out of the box you can go and compete with a para, just get a good gunsmith to go through it to make sure it is reliable. I also have 4 18rd sti tubes for sale for the para 40.
Old February 10, 2000, 11:37 PM   #4
NAD

umstud - I can't remember if the Limited version of the P-16 has an ambi safety, but if not, you might consider one for IPSC. Get as many hi-cap mags you can afford for it as well. If you plan to use it strictly as your IPSC gun and don't plan to keep it loaded in the house or carry it, have the grip safety altered so it doesn't work. None of my competition guns grip safeties will work. Every serious shooter I have met has had their grip safety deactivated because it sometimes causes problems. For more info on this discuss it with the better IPSC shooters in your area.

Welcome to the sport, it's a lot of fun.
Old February 12, 2000, 06:58 PM   #5
p1445

The really useful things I would do are:

Join a gun club so you can get more practice.

Mag well funnel, I like the Smith & Alexander which may require gunsmithing depending on how good you are with tools.

Lose the plastic mag catch, and replace it with a good metal one, I used an Ed Brown extented catch and it was a drop in part that actually dropped in.

A good trigger job is a must, mine is running around 2.5lbs.

Checkering the front strap is a good modification, but skate board tape is a cheap substitute that works great.

Borrow someones else's gun to try out a flat(or arched) mainspring housing to see which one fits your hand better. I have small hands, and I find that the flat mainspring housing works best for me.

Ambi safties are nice, but I haven't really used mine much. Extended safties are great, and I thinks yours already has one.

Get a good progressive reloading set up, like a dillon 550b, you'll need a lot of ammo.

As many hi-cap mags with extended baseplates as you can afford. I find 4 is minimum, but I get by on six. I'm using the Arrendondo base plates now, but if I were to do it over, I would get the Dawson pads because they are easier to take apart.

Get a couple of different weight recoil springs to see which works best with your gun/load. Then buy extras of which ever weight you settle on.

Don't buy any titianium parts, they're a waste of money.

I don't know anyone who still pins thier grip safties. There are so many different styles available now you'll be able to find one that will work for you if this is a problem.

If you find that you still have money left, let me know, I'll think up some more ways for you to spend it.

p1445
Old March 8, 2000, 07:34 PM   #6
rgkeller

I see you are in Miami. You have one of the best IPSC gunsmiths in the world right there. His name is Dave Pruitt and he runs a gunsmithing company called Gun Doc. Call him at 305-477-2777 and then go out and visit. He can show you what the options are and what use they will be to you. Great gunsmith, great shooter and great guy.

Bob