The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2007, 05:35 PM   #1
pjn003

Anyone out there reload 9mm?

Hey guys, i have been considering reloading 9mm. Would anyone recommend doing this, and how much money do you save?

I have only reloaded rifle cartriges before.

Thanks,
Phil
Old August 14, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2
npv

count me in

I reload 9mm - i find that if I buy in bulk (online) so I get free shipping and no tax I can save approx. 1/3 but that's just $$ -- I actually like to reload my own ammo....

-npv
Old August 14, 2007, 06:05 PM   #3
pjn003

also, i dont cast my own bullets (im not sure if you can even do that for handguns)

what ones do you use for reloading in bulk and where can i get theM?
Old August 14, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
45Marlin carbine

I do, I buy the bulk-pack ammo and shoot it but pick-up the brass. check what gold dot or golden saber loaded costs, twice the amount (usually sold in packs of 20 or 25) can be loaded for less than half what the store-boughten stuff costs. and I do load some of my own blasting (fmj) ammo when time permits but usually reload with premium slugs and set back in my 'shtf stash'. fmj slugs are cheap and you can load a lot with a pound of powder. primers are getting expensive but that's for all reloads. golden sabers shoot great in my pistols and are reasonable priced, they tie with Nosler for accuracy and beat XTP and Gold Dot. Hornady is a good buy also.
Old August 14, 2007, 07:30 PM   #5
maxwayne

I have not reloaded 9mm for several years. I was buying Blazer for approx $4.00 per 50 and I did not feel I could compete with that. The last Blazer I bought was approx $7.00. That may be my last store bought. I have lots of brass, bullets, etc. I shoot outside and it was very easy to not worry about having to pick up the empties. I devoted my reloading time to the expensive stuff like .41, 44 and 45 ACP and Colt.
Old August 14, 2007, 07:55 PM   #6
brianla

I haven't reloaded 9mm in a while myself, but that's just because I started shooting other stuff a lot more.

I bought either Rainier FMJ bullets, or Montana Gold. I liked them both, and settled on MT Gold since that's where I also buy .357, .40 and .45 bullets. Fwiw, the recipes I used to use are:
- 124 gr. MT gold JHP (also 124 gr Rainier FMJs)
- 6.4 gr. Hodgdon HS-6
- CCI 500 primer (Winchester WSPs seemed okay as well)
- Federal and Starline brass usually
- 1.120" COL

I shot these in a S&W Sigma 9VE, and a Sig P228. As I recall, this was a "medium" load, but please take the usual precautions.

Brian
Old August 14, 2007, 07:57 PM   #7
CrustyFN

Quote:
Hey guys, i have been considering reloading 9mm. Would anyone recommend doing this, and how much money do you save?
Highly recommend it.You will end up with better ammo than the cheap stuff at half the cost. My competition gun is 9mm so I shoot a lot of it. I buy in bulk and can load 9mm for around $70 per 1,000 maybe a little less. I would reload it even if I didn't save much because I enjoy reloading and you can customize the ammo for your gun.
Rusty
Old August 14, 2007, 11:06 PM   #8
swmike

Right now, my 9mm reloads are half the cost of the cheaper Factory Ammo. In the next few weeks that savings will go up as new ammo prices are going up again. Another consideration is whether or not some calibers will be available or will they be subject to shortages. 9mm, 40 S& W, and .223 are rumored to be short over the next 12-18 mo's as a good quantity of the production capacity will be going to the Military. If you are not reloading 9mm now, I recommend you consider it in the near future.

For myself, I am "sweeping up" all the 9mm and .223 brass I can get my hands on. Cleaning, tumbling, and packing in Zip Lock Bags. Also buying powder, bullets and primers as I can afford. A case here and a case there. I might have to back off soon as I think I am getting close to my legal storage limit on primers and powder unless I build another building.

I just hate the thought of paying too much for ammo. Even worse, I don't like being told I have to wait a few weeks until the shipment comes in.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 14, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
CrustyFN

Quote:
Another consideration is whether or not some calibers will be available or will they be subject to shortages. 9mm, 40 S& W, and .223 are rumored to be short over the next 12-18 mo's as a good quantity of the production capacity will be going to the Military.
swmike thanks for the heads up, I haven't heard that yet. I better get busy I'm down to about 8,000 9mm brass and 2,500 223 brass. All kidding aside I just placed a powder and primer order Monday, sounds like I better order some bullets.
Rusty
Old August 14, 2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Eric M.

I reload for my 9mm, and like the other guys say, I pay about half of what factory ammo costs, and get much better results with my reloads.

Go for the reloading. You won't be sorry.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old August 15, 2007, 08:31 AM   #11
FM12

I'm set up for 9mm with a Dillon Square Deal B. I load for about 1/3 of factory prices. If you dont get set up now, it'll just cost you later. It is a fantastic hobby that compliments your shooting. You'll shoot more and enjoy it for it's own merits.
Old August 15, 2007, 10:27 AM   #12
armoredman

Been reloading 9mm for some time. I have better ammo than I can buy at the store. Only factory I buy is carry ammo, to avoid any legal hassles. Fave powder is AA#7, with bulk Remington 115gr JHP.
pjn003, you can cast handgun bullets - I have a box full of lubed/sized 358 boolits for my 38 Spl waiting to be loaded, and I bought a brand new mold for 124gr .365 9mm slugs, when I run out of my jacketed stuff. Casting is as much fun as reloading is by itself!
Old August 15, 2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Sevens

Obviously, everyone is giving you the green light to start loading 9mm!

Here's what I say... if you currently handload for bottle neck rifle rounds, loading for a small, straight wall pistol round will be a treat for you. NO case lubing. NO neck lubing. Not much worry about case length, stretching and trimming. (some do, most don't) Not much worry about primer pocket cleaning. (again, most do, some don't) Powder costs are almost comical compared to rifle rounds. Cast bullets bought in bulk make the cost of rifle bullets look like a bad joke.

You do get to chase brass all over your range which is an annoyance, but other than that, it's just easier all around than handloading rifle rounds. The only thing that's tougher is that you'll need to produce more ammo in 9 than you do in rifle rounds. Because we all know how a hi-cap 9mm loves to eat up a helluva lot of ammo!
Old August 15, 2007, 11:53 AM   #14
The Tourist

I do not load it--if I can help it.

I have a friend who likes to shoot 9mmx19 ammo like a kid shooting 22LR's. I will load for him as a favor. He's also an FFL dealer and sometimes gets deals on bulk ammo at prices below what I would pay (or produce) for just the components.

I hate loading little cartridges, like 9mm's and the .380 ACP.

Nothing wrong with the concept, for me it's just a personal issue and I would recommend that you handload as much as you can.
Old August 15, 2007, 12:02 PM   #15
kenneth owens

yes, if you shoot alot for sure reloading the 9mm would be the way to go,more accurate no matter what tons of people tell me,cheaper in the long run .I have a dillion xl 650 which is great for cranking out high quality 9mm rds
once you find that firearm(window of accuracy) load and have fun
Old August 15, 2007, 03:05 PM   #16
Cloudpeak

Quote:
and I bought a brand new mold for 124gr .365 9mm slugs, when I run out of my jacketed stuff.
I recently bought a Lee, 6 cavity TL356-124-2R mold. This is my fourth Lee, 6 cavity mold and is the best one yet. I've cast about 2,000 bullets with very few rejects. I pre-heat the mold on a cheap, single place electric burner I bought at WalMart. A little dab of "BullPlate" lube on the pins and sprue cutter keeps the aluminum from galling due to lead smear and keeps everything running smoothly.

I've been trying to come up with the most accurate load for my M&P 9mm with W231 powder but haven't matched the accuracy of the 115 gr WWB factory load, yet, but I'm getting close.

Cloudpeak
Old August 22, 2007, 12:14 PM   #17
kellyj00

using only components from www.powdervalleyinc.com, I load for cheap.

1000 rounds of 125 grain rnfp is about $38 there.
1000 Wolf SP primers $18.50
about 1/2 lb of powder is $5-$7...and that if you spill some. ;-)

The brass is $20 per 1000 from powder valley, but 9mm brass is everywhere for free....it's almost as common as .40 cal at the LEO range, but easier to distinguish between so I can pick out the much more valuable .45acp that so few cops are shooting nowadays.

So, add that up. $38 + $18.50 + $7 and it's 63.50 per 1000 rounds. That's $6.35 per 100.

You're only out the time to do it...but loading 100 rounds of 9mm on a turret press can be done during half time on a sunday afternoon. I load about 200 rounds per hour. SO I can finish 400 bullets in teh time of an average movie, or if I'm going to the movie, about 600 bullets for the time wasted in line and driving. Not too mention, it gets you 'away' without being away for a few hours when you need it most. I know that's the best part for me, you can't just leave them there alone, but you need to get away from them (i.e. your family) reloading or casting bullets is great for this!