The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2015, 01:24 AM   #1
mark johnson

newcomer, hello

got a good deal on 1,000 55 gr rem .224 psp. loaded 22.5gr 4895 .222 rem worst group was just over 1in. any tips or secret methods? im shooting a 1962 vintage 722 rem. boyds classic stock w/ bedded action.
Old July 14, 2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum. There is a sticky thread in the General Discussion Forum called New Members - Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Your load is probably running about 40,000 psi based on loads at Hodgdon's data site for either IMR4895 or for H4895. I don't know which you have? You will have noticed your case is nearly full already and that the maximum loads of the 4895's are compressed. This is because 4895's are really a little slow for your application. I've always gotten best accuracy out of the .222 Rem using IMR4198 in the 18 grain range. IMR4198 has lower bulk density than 4895, so it will still fill the case about 90% well at that lower charge weight. You'll want to back down to the starting load of 16.5 grains of IMR4198 and work up.

If you want to tighten groups further than either powder will give you, you'll likely need to switch to match bullets. The flat base 53 rain Sierra MatchKing works well for me, but there are others. My .222 (Rem 600) never liked boattails. The flat bases, though, shoot 1/4" groups fairly regularly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 14, 2015, 12:55 PM   #3
skizzums

i don't have alot of experience over a braod range of calibers. but in my limited in experience, small bullets get more accurate as velocity increases. obviously stay within the limits of your rifle, but work to the top half of your load data and i'll bet your have better luck. can you tell us what kind of accuracy factory ammo was producing? what kind of factoy brand/bullet gave you the best results? that can help you get to a good starting point.

if it's available to you, CFE 223 or Varget and h335 would be great powders to start with. Even 4064, i think, would be more effecient. welcome to the forums, lots of great info here. the wonderful folks here saved me a lot of time skipping some of the trial/error steps of reloading. if you don't know, ask here first before buying components and save yourself the headache. have fun and be safe.

BTW-you have another grain + to go before you reach maximum data. you could try gettig there first before shopping for different powder. keep an eye on your brass for high pressure signs; like, difficult xtraction, extractor marks on brass, flattened/popped primers....etc. be safe and when you start getting close to max published data, work up slow in increments of .2