The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1
Brian48

Anyone own or have owned a .40 SW Hi-Power?

These are pretty rare, as is the 9mm version, around my parts. One has shown up in a local shop that's in pretty good condition. Thinking of getting it, despite the inflated price of $1100+, but that's still cheaper than what a 9mm would go for around here.

Any opinions on this gun?
Old July 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
jmstr

Yes, I have two. I haven't shot them enough to give you a great amount of feedback. I will say I loved the 9mm Hi Power so I jumped on the .40 when I had a chance.

You may be able to find them used through GunBroker for around $700 or so. If you are willing to buy used.

If you like the 9mm Hi Power, this has all of the same great feel/features, with a .40 round.

Go over to 1911 forums dot com.

They have a Hi Power section. Read up there. Many LOVE them!

A great thing about the .40: you can get a 9mm conversion barrel for around $230 or less, and then it would be a 2 caliber gun.
Old July 7, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

I had one, for less than a week.
The recoil spring weight was just too stiff to work with efficiently for defensive purposes.
Denis
Old July 7, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
jmstr

Denis,

Are you referring to the difficulty in performing a 'tap and rack' situation, or a clearance for malfunctions? Or were you having actual problems with the firearm not functioning properly?

Yes, the recoil spring is STIFF. You hit the nail on the head.

Having had a Kahr K9, it isn't so bad. If I hadn't had the K9, I'd think it was the worst I'd ever used.

For my usage it isn't an issue: I plan on using it for a range toy, not a carry piece. For carry, the ability to do a clearance IS a concern.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5

I bought one in 1994. I believe I paid $419 for it. I did a lot of shooting with the majority of the rounds being my handloads. The P-35 is a timeless classic, but I would never buy one again that wasn't chambered for 9 x 19mm, especially at the price you're looking at. I never really became convinced that mine was robust enough for the .40 S&W cartridge. If you have your heart set on a pistol of this type, save yourself some money and pass on the Hi-Power in .40. A CZ-75B or SA is a very similar pistol, the most accurate type I've ever fired in .40 S&W without any questions about its structural integrity.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Brian48

Thanks for the feedback. I think I might pass then. I actually was looking for a 9mm, but came across this .40 by chance. Hi-Powers are not MA compliant so I cannot simply order out of state via a FFL holder. Pretty much stuck with whatever was registered in-state prior to the '98 cut-off date. This is why prices are so inflated around here.

Man, I can't wait to retire and move out of this state.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:15 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

JM,
I refer to doing ANYTHING in a hurry with that slide.
Malfunction clearances, tap & rack, reloading, ANY slide manipulation.

I'm no weakling, but that spring was just too strong for use as a defensive piece, in my opinion.
I have a fair amount of money tied up in two 9mm versions, but the .40 just wasn't practical.
I've never run into a .40 in any other brand that was as stiff as that Browning.

A range gun, if you're willing to put up with it, would be a different matter.
Denis
Old July 7, 2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Sharpsdressed Man

the .40 Hi Power is heavier in the slide than the 9mm, and doesn't balance as well. I just couldn't get used to it. If I must carry a more powerful gun than the BHP in 9mm, I'll choose one of my 1911's.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Jack19

I made the huge mistake a selling my .40 HP; it's one of very very few handguns I kick myself for selling. And this was after I had Don Williams tune it. ARRGGH, I can't even think about it.

It is, IMHO, the perfectly made handgun for the .40. Heavy enough to soak up recoil, single action trigger, absolutely a pleasure to shoot.

Run back to the store and buy it. Today. Right now.

And, then, send it to Don.

http://www.theactionworks.com/
Old July 14, 2013, 10:32 AM   #10
johnnydollar

I agree with Jack19--the .40 Hi Power is one of those guns I wish I hadn't sold. Mine had the SFS system from the factory and was an excellent pistol in all respects. I wish I had it back!