The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
KerryF

Stevens Model 1915

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to give me a little more info on this rifle. I understand these were made in the early 20th century? It has been passed down to me and I'm just looking to know a little more about it.

I've attached some pictures to help gather a bit more info about it. I think it's in pretty good shape. I have never fired it and I don't know when the last time it was fired was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0500.jpg (245.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.jpg (247.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0502.jpg (245.2 KB, 121 views)
Old November 5, 2011, 09:48 PM   #2
KerryF

More pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0503.jpg (246.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0504.jpg (242.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0505.jpg (248.1 KB, 78 views)
Old November 6, 2011, 05:22 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nice, a little Stevens Favorite.

Stevens made a number of falling or rolling block rifles starting in the 1800s and well into the 20th century. Some of the higher-end ones were very well thought of target rifles, while many were extremely popular as small game hunting or "boy's" rifles.

I have a 14 1/2 Little Scout that belonged to my Great Uncle when he was a kid.

These were made for the low pressure smokeless and semi-smokeless rounds that were available back then - do NOT shoot modern high velocity .22s in it or you'll loosen the block up in a few shots and the cases will start to rupture.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:51 AM   #4
KerryF

I believe this one belonged to my Great Grandfather. He gave it to my father who then gave it to me.

If I ever did want to shoot it I'd bring it to a gun smith first to check it out. But what ammo would I put in it if I can't use modern stuff?

Also, any idea when it was made? Is that an 18 or an 81 on the bottom a serial number?
Old November 7, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm not sure if serial number information has ever been compiled for the old Stevens boys rifles. Google is your best bet there.

As for ammo, I know some people shoot them with target velocity ammo, and Aguila makes several low velocity low pressure options -- Colibri I believe is one of them -- that should work.

Any of the subsonic or target loads should also work OK.

Old November 7, 2011, 10:09 AM   #6
KerryF

Thanks for the info, Mike.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:47 PM   #7
PetahW

Your Model 1915 Favorite is based on what's known as a "swinging block" action, one that drops the breechblock from a pivot point ahead of the rear end of the barrel. (It only looks like a falling block).

It looks like your rifle's SN - 8100.

In 1915, Stevens introduced a major change in the 1894 Favorite action.
The action is made slightly heavier, ofter referred to as the Heavy Favorite.
The other changes were to a flat top breechblock and to a coil mainspring from an often-breaking, flat mainspring.

The Model 1915 Favorites became the No.17. No.20, No.27, No.28, & No.29 - depending upon what type barrel and/or sights were factory installed.

The round barrel on your Favorite defines it as a No.17.

In 1920, when Savage started to take over the Stevens factory, "SVG" was stamped on the Favorites, as well.

There are NO serial number DOM records available for any Stevens firearms, because Stevens had a "catastrophic office fire", and "lost all records" just after WWI, when said records were subpeonaed by the US Congress in 1922, when Congress was investigating WWI war profiteering by Stevens.

Sooooo, YOUR Model 1915 Favorite No.17, SN 8100 was made between 1915 & 1920, most likely about 1916, as Stevens made thousands of them per year.

Last edited by PetahW; November 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Gbro

Quote:
As for ammo, I know some people shoot them with target velocity ammo, and Aguila makes several low velocity low pressure options -- Colibri I believe is one of them -- that should work.
The Aguila Colibri (hummingbird) Cartridges are designed only for Handguns!
On The Box it is clearly printed, (because I am using a magnifying glass)
Quote:
These priming mix propelled projectiles "MUST" be fired "ONLY" in handguns. When fired in long-barreled firearms such as rifles, bullets may remain lodged inside the long barrel. A subsequent firing of a regular .22 rimfire cartridge may result in injury or death to the user or others.
I realize there have been some posters that claim to be able to fire these out of their rifles but in the very least one should know beforehand what could happen.
I would suggest the use of .22 Shorts or what today are marketed as CeeBee 22 or such.
This link also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short
Old November 26, 2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought Colibri had a version that was for use in rifles, as well.