The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
94bluerat

1100 cycling issue

I have an 1100 that I built into a Slug Gun about 15yrs ago. Hastings fully rifled cantilever barrel, 3x9 Nikon. Speedfeed synthetic monte carlo stock. I am shooting Win Supreme Partition Gold 2 3/4 sabots.

I am getting issues w/ the next round not feeding and the bolt staying open and/or the bolt closes with no round. There is no stove-pipe or FTE. The problem is not every time, but it seems to be increasing in frequency.

I think I will tear it all the way down and re-assemble. Any thoughts on what to look for or give special attention to in the cleaning?

Thanks!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old December 3, 2009, 12:57 PM   #2
oneounceload

How's the mag spring after all these years? Been replaced lately?
Old December 3, 2009, 01:05 PM   #3
BigJimP

Take the gun down completely - and clean and lube it / and check for wear on parts and replace as necessary. But if you haven't replaced the springs and o-rings - then certainly do that as well.

I had the same conversation with a new shooter on Tue / his new semi-auto wasn't cycling. I asked if he had stripped, cleaned and lubed it ...he said yes... So we sat down at a picnic table after a round and looked the gun over ( all he had done was take the barrel off / clean the barrel ) he had not dropped the trigger group out, taken out the mag spring, or cleaned or lubed the inside of the receiver, bolt, etc .....

A buddy and I cleaned it / lubed it - showed him how to do it .... and 30 min later - gun was back in battery / and it didn't fail again all day ( 3 rounds of Skeet, 3 rounds of Trap ).... He thought you only took the Trigger group, etc out once a year ....vs every time you shoot it, like most of us do. I like Break Free as a lube.
Old December 3, 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
shortwave

As Big Jim said, take a careful look at the oring. Do a search here as there is a good breakdown on how to dissassemble the 1100. Its been awhile back but good info. Also make sure the two gas ports in the barrel are good and clean as thats where shotgun gets gas to cycle from.
Old December 3, 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
zippy13

Shortwave may be on the right track, an otherwise clean and properly lubricated 1100 will still misbehave if there's crud in barrel vent hole(s). You may require a specialized vent hole punch or an appropriate sized drill (see below) if the build-up is stubborn.
Remington 1100 12-Gauge Gas Vents
Size (inches) / Drill - - - - Length / Model
.073 / #49 x 1 hole - - - - 34" Duck/Goose
.064 / #52 x 1 hole - - - - 30" Magnum
.079 / #47 x 2 holes- - - - 34" Full Trap
.079 / #47 x 2 holes- - - - 30", 28", 26", 22" Field
.086 / #44 x 2 holes- - - - 26" Skeet
.086 / #44 x 2 holes- - - - 26" Compensated
Old December 3, 2009, 07:27 PM   #6
nutty ned

I had that problem once, it was a cleaning and lube issue. The interceptor latch was sticking. It is on the left side of the receiver just before the mag tube. Turn the gun upside down, of course the interceptor latch wiil now be on the right as you look at it. Push the carrier in and brush the area with breakfree on a tooth brush.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
94bluerat

Thanks Guys,

I built it from the ground up, but it has been a while since a full tear down.

I guess I know what is in store for this weekend...

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout