The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 8, 2007, 07:17 AM   #1
Buffalochip

.36 cal Model 1858 Remington New Army Police revolver

I picked one of these up at an antique show in Fredericksburg, VA. It is in very good condition--with the exception that the blueing is gone as is most of the nickle platiing on the trigger guard. The action is tight, grips are orginal, markings are strong, 4-digit serial number. BUT--I can't find any information on these guns. Is it rare? Production numbers? Value? Any info would be appreciated.
BuffaloChip
Old May 8, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2
rufe snow

In "Flayderman's Guide", which is the basic reference text for collectors of antique U.S. firearms. The revolver you describe, isn't shown. Could you post quality photos and/or give us all the specific markings & physical description of the revolver?
Old May 8, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sounds like a Chevy Ford sedan truck.

The New Model Army is .44 caliber. The Remington Police revolver is .36, but it was never an "Army" anything.

If the gun is original (and not a mixed up reproduction of a gun that never was), and it is the Police model, about 18,000 were made, including both original percussion and factory conversion to cartridge. The percussion version is worth a bit more than the cartridge conversion.

In the condition you describe, I would think value in the $800 range, but we shall see what others say. In top condition, they will bring $2500+. Since they were not military, survival rate is fairly high and they sometimes show up in really nice shape.

Jim
Old May 8, 2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Buffalochip

Ooops, you are rightn no "Army" in model name

It is the .36 Police model. Looks like a scaled down .44 cal. 1858 New Model Army. I did find it in a reference book and it is valued at about $900. Thanks for the help.