The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Trapping Squirrels, Conns, and Rabbits.

I am looking for an easy, and inexpensive way to live-trap grey squirrels, douglas squirrels, raccoons, and rabbits. I have one Have-a-hart trap that is the rabbit size but with only one door, and I cant seep to get em in there. And besides its not big enough for coons. Any nifty little home made contraptions out there that I could make from stuff round the farm?
Old December 24, 2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Tom2

Larger trap

I have a larger version of that trap as the smaller one was not quite big enough for big coons. I removed the metal clips on the end except at the bottom so the closed end could hinge open. Then I put plastic ties to hold that end shut. That way I don't have to mess around with the trap end to get it open with my hands down there. When I want to let the critter out, I just clip the ties with a wire cutter and they soon enough figure out to push it open, or it falls open after I clear back. If you are gonna make something homemade, it better be real good to contain a chapped off full sized coon, especially if you must move the cage with him in it. Some are docile, some want to bite off a piece of your *** if they can get at you, so better be real strong unless you only catch rabbits and squirrels. The smallest trap is open at both ends till tripped, but it is only big enough for smaller rabbits and squirrels. What do you want to do with live varmints anyway? That is what 22's are for. Unless you live in town. Even then shorts from a rifle are very quiet.
Old December 24, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Blacktail_Slayer

I can never find the coons when I want to, and the rabbits are only coming out at night, and we cant spotligt rabbits here.