The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 1, 2005, 07:38 AM   #26
Old Shooter

Comparison web site

I came across this site which may be helpful (a little dated considering some rule changes but pretty accurate otherwise). The basic differences are in the article:
http://www.craigcentral.com/idpaipsc.asp

Last edited by Old Shooter; April 3, 2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old April 1, 2005, 02:17 PM   #27
Shoot-N-Scoot

I have recently shot both for the first. I enjoyed both. Each one has its good points and bad and many people who have already posted have highlighted many of those. But I will tell you one thing from each that drives me nuts:
IDPA- Tactical reloads- what a bunch of BS. The rule is only there to distinguish IDPA from USPSA.
USPSA- Excessive air gunning. It is one thing to go down range with the RO to be safe and understand the course, but dry running through a stage multiple times is aggravating.
Always remember, it is a game no matter which you choose. Both can teach a lot about shooting. And both have some unrealistic rules/COF. Both are fun.
Old April 9, 2005, 11:39 PM   #28
jwrig

Old Shooter's link and tagline.

Quote - Old Shooter......I came across this site which may be helpful (a little dated considering some rule changes but pretty accurate otherwise). The basic differences are in the article:
http://www.craigcentral.com/idpaipsc.asp

Great link and even better tagline! Amen to that!

jwrig - Jim
Old April 10, 2005, 03:04 PM   #29
Zak Smith

Of the two, I'd rather shoot IPSC/USPSA. I get to shoot more rounds per stage (and overall), and that's why I'm shooting the match in the first place. I get to solve the problem my own way, optimized for my abilities and the capacity of my pistol, whatever it is. That said, I'd rather shoot a 3Gun match vs. either IPSC or IDPA, just because they're more fun.

-z
Old April 18, 2005, 05:28 PM   #30
otasan

Idpa/ipsc

I have shot IPSC AND IDPA extensively in my 27-year shooting career. Both are indeed games. Which one is better for training in defensive pistolcraft? IDPA, for sure. Aside from the increasingly petty rules in IDPA, it does have one huge advantage. The shooters must use open sights and carry guns. IPSC, even in it's "Limited Class", favor game guns. The optics, gun weight/size, exotic holsters, watered-down ammunition, and riot-control course design found in IPSC is far, far removed from any likely self-defense scenario.

The politics within IDPA are difficult to live with, but at least they require open sights and carry guns. The course designs are much more realistic as well.

Still, my first love is bowling pin shooting. I use open sights, +p .45 ACP ammunition, and the course design is so simple. All that a shooter is required to do is hit a target area the size of a 12-ounce soda can with a bullet that has a power factor of 215,000. Misses and wounding shots don't count. Five pins, five potent shots. Open sights.

I am confident that if I am ever required to shoot 1-7 scumbags, I'll be watching my front sight and squeezing the trigger.

I expect that this will serve me well.

I mean no disrespect toward IPSC or IDPA. They are both fun games.
Old April 18, 2005, 05:42 PM   #31
Zak Smith

Quote:
IPSC, even in it's "Limited Class", favor game guns.
That's only true when you ignore the two other USPSA/IPSC divisions: Limited-10 and Production. The most common gun in L-10 is the single-stack 1911 in 45ACP, and almost any DA or DA/SA "duty" auto is right at home in Production.
Quote:
The optics, gun weight/size, exotic holsters, watered-down ammunition, and riot-control course design found in IPSC is far, far removed from any likely self-defense scenario.
High round count means you get more practice at target acquisition, reloads, planning, decision making, etc.

If we only want to practice what we'll statistically be threatened with, we should practice running 10 miles a week and eating better to avoid heart disease than shoot, since the vast majority never need to draw a gun for self defense.

-z
Old April 18, 2005, 05:57 PM   #32
ryucasta

Otasun,

I compete in both and I have seen more watered-down ammunition used in a IDPA matches than in USPSA especially in the CDP and ESP divisions. Personally I dont care if a competitor uses light loads since IDPA only requires a 165 PF in the CDP divison all other divisons require 125 PF and power factor doesnt impact the score. In USPSA/IPSC if your not competing in the Production Division (All Scored Minor) PF will impact your hit/score totals.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old April 19, 2005, 08:27 AM   #33
OF

Anyone who feels that IDPA is inherently more 'tactical' in any significant amount needs to read the comments from Rob Leatham posted earlier. While it is true that IDPA tries to be more tactical, I think the 'use of cover' and the concealment requirement are about all there is to IDPA leaning it more to the 'tactical' side of things. And 95% of the people shooting IDPA do not wear their real daily concealment and the use of cover is so vastly different on the competition course than it should be 'in real life' as to be almost not worth the effort. A high-speed pantomime of using cover and concealement does not good practice make.

Shoot both, shoot everything. The more trigger time you have 'on the clock' in the pressure-cooker of competition, the better shooter you will become. If you are looking to learn how to fight with a handgun, go to school. Don't confuse IDPA/USPSA with school. I'll paste in here a paragraph from our IDPA club's FAQ page that is relevant:
Quote:
Q: I took a Basic Pistol class and thought that IDPA would be a great way to learn some more practical defense-oriented skills. Should I sign up?
A: While the emphasis in IDPA competition is to 'simulate' possible defensive scenarios, and many of the Safety Officers and Staff at our events are certified self-defense instructors in their own right, IDPA is just a game. Participation in the practical shooting sports will most certainly help you to become a better shooter, but it is not defensive training. Some of the skills you will use may be applicable to actual life-threatening encounters, but many are not. We will make no distinction between what is and is not an appropriate life-saving skill or tactic at our matches or related classes. We strongly encourage you to seek professional, competent outside instruction if you own or carry a pistol for defense of yourself and/or others. You could think of IDPA (or any practical shooting sport, for that matter) as a training aid as opposed to actual training. That said, as Brian Enos puts it: "If I had to save myself or someone else from drowning, I'd rather be an Olympic swimmer."
- Gabe
Old April 25, 2005, 06:48 PM   #34
stephen426

I'm thinking about getting into competitive shooting as well. Most ranges here don't allow rapid fire, multiple targets, or drawing from concealed. I've only been able to do this on a few occasions and it was a very humbling experience. I used to consider myself a decent shot until I tried engaging multiple targets from concealment.

I know muscle memory is imperative as lots of trigger time will enable you to point the gun much more accurately without using the sights. I can put two center of mass but my groupings are dismal. Also, these types of competitions really focus on follow up shots and you practice target acquisition and reacquisition. I can't wait to get started!
Old April 26, 2005, 10:07 PM   #35
Lycanthrope

IDPA taught me to shoot in awkward positions. USPSA taught me to be a better and faster shooter. Any trigger time is useful.

Being a versatile, fast and accurate shooter is tactical, but not all there is to good tactics.

Shoot both and any other sport to get better. Then take a good class to learn to think "tactical".
Old May 27, 2005, 07:08 AM   #36
kz45stu

IDPA is easier for newbies

I've shot both IPSC and IDPA and I reckon IDPA is definitely easier for newbies. The COF is pre-determined, and so is the order of engagement for targets. This makes it a lot easier to shoot a stage. For an IPSC newbie - facing a sea of targets which you have to engage in order you see fit is very daunting. Watching other shooters doesn't help much because everyone shoots the stage differently. At least with IDPA, all you have to do is watch how one shooter shoots the stage, and if he doesn't get any procedurals - that's the way to do it.
Old May 29, 2005, 03:22 PM   #37
Eghad

I too am interested in doing the IPSC and IDPA both. The first thing I did was read the rule books. I understand the concept of a concealment holster as defined by IDPA. However they seem to be a bit anal retentive when it comes to the holster rules for pouch style... We dont all have the same build when it comes to holsters, what fits you and is within the rules may not work on my body build.......dunno..

The Tactical Reload.....seems to be great on face value if you have the time in a gunfight. In the military I was taught to slam that magazine home. Which would seem to be a bit harder to do with the pistol in one hand and two magazines in the other hand? Not to mention the mechanics of it...I am almost 50 and have a bit of arthritis in my hands.. not to mention that this would seem to come under fine motor skills.. plus what is the common time that most gunfights occur in? Knock on wood never been in one...but I think that tactical reloading would be the last thing on my mind unless a break in the situation occured...

To me some of these rules seem to be in place to differentiate the sports from each other....

I really like the idea of IDPA and the courses of fire....and if you want to play you got to follow the rule book..

I intend to participate in them both......I just think the IDPA could make do with some changes in the rules

my 2 cents worth.

NRA Life Member
Old May 30, 2005, 04:55 AM   #38
Old Shooter

Quote:
The Tactical Reload
Don’t get caught up in it. I shoot in 3 local clubs and that reload in a match is rare. Instead of "tactical", most use "with retention", whereby you are first pocketing the mag and then inserting a new one from your holster.

Even if there is that rare "tactical" in a stage, if it’s a problem, take the penalty and continue on.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:02 PM   #39
Eghad

Glad to hear that.....it is a rare occurence

nuff said.......

I finally found a holster place that has a Kydex Holster I like that will fit the IDPA rules and I can use it for IPSC also.......

my only chuckle is that the IDPA pupose seems to be directed towards realism... they have a couple of rules which just seem to differentiate them from IPSC

yet when I go to this holster site there is a link to this place that sells a vest type concealment garment with mesh in the back but still conceals your weapon for IDPA..lol.. like anybody is going to wear that thing on the street.

I still plan on competing IDPA and IPSC tho

NRA Life Member
Old June 2, 2005, 09:59 AM   #40
Eghad

Going to try and shoot in my first IDPA match this Saturday.......

NRA Life Member
Old June 2, 2005, 10:04 AM   #41
Eghad

OOPS double post

NRA Life Member
Old June 11, 2005, 10:49 AM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
Which sport offers a person the most realistic chance of improving their possibility of surviving an attack from bad guys (if I'd decide to pursue a CCW permit and would therefore be armed when the attack occurs).

Trigger time is a good thing. Many cogent points have been made. Neither is realistic to any great extent.

I just want to say that if you are serious about training to survive an attack, find a good quality tactical course or two. Take one with a FOF component. IPSC or IDPA targets have no free will and don't shoot back. They don't move much, do they? Thus, shoot the games for fun, skills and trigger time - but get tactical training if you are serious about progressing in that level.