The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 13, 2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm not a Glock fan... I'm sure they are very reliable, but the grip just doesn't fit me, feels like I'm holding a chunk of lumber... I tried to buy one in 10mm, actually went to the store thinking I was going to buy a 10 mm Glock... I just couldn't do it...

I'm not a huge fan of plastic guns anyway... semi auto or revolver... I guess I look at metal guns as being able to be passed down for generations, I can't help but think the plastic guns will get brittle "some time" in the future...

as a reloader, I'm not much of a fan of semi auto anything reloadable... I don't mind them in 22 or in a caliber like 7.62 X 39 where there is tons of cheap steel cased ammo...

all that said... I still have not bought a Glock ( yet ) but I do own plastic guns ( got a little plastic 380 on my belt right now ) so obviously I also have autos, even in rifles... they just aren't my favorite to shoot...
Old October 13, 2014, 10:45 AM   #27
MarkCO

I don't dislike any of them, and certainly could not bring myself to the level of hate and loathing of an inanimate object.

There are some that are less appealing to me like the Beretta 92 and the S&W Sigma. Maybe some brands I don't ever see myself owning like Hi-Points.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:23 PM   #28
Cyanide971

There is no gun I dislike. Give it to me, I will make it work for the mission at hand.

That being said however, the closest to a dislike would be Glock and that is simply because of the fanboys who treat it as it is the second coming of Christ, especially if they have limited or worse, no experience shooting and/or owning any other handgun.

And for the record, Glock was the first striker fire pistol I ever bought. It was also the first one to get sold off lol....

Last edited by Cyanide971; October 13, 2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

Don't particularly like the Beretta 92. Fired one and still didn't like it. Don't particularly like HK pistols, except the P7 series. Even OWN a HKUSPC, and find it far less a gun than the 1911 that replaced it. HKs are overrated IMO, and that from an owner of one of their "best." I've never even fired a P7, but would still like one of those. Don't like Taurus "Millenium" pistols-had one for a bit and sold it, due to underwheming accuracy and a PITA mag release. One of my Glocks replaced it and completely outclassed it. Hi-Point pistols, too damn big and ugly-I can take ugly if it's in every other way a fine firearm, but those...... Subjective, yes, but there you are.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:54 PM   #30
slugchucker

The firearm I've been waiting on to come to auction. Then someone swoops in and pays full reserve for it! They always seem to be the one to never appear again for auction in same condition or price range!
Old October 13, 2014, 01:24 PM   #31
DA/SA Fan

I absolutely hate DAO pistols. Doesn't matter that the pull is consistent, it's a compromise. Either put a safety on it and make it SAO or make it a hammer fired DA/SA where only the first shot is a compromise.
Old October 13, 2014, 01:27 PM   #32
UncleEd

Uh-oh!

One of our posters might be suffering

from

Banana Deficiency.
Old October 13, 2014, 03:33 PM   #33
TailGator

Some sacred cows have been slain, so I submit the S&W 642 for sacrifice. I carried one for several years, but never enjoyed practicing with it. Just a snappy little bugger that beat my hand up no matter what grip I used. Looking back, I don't know why I kept it as long as I did.

A little sad that some have to disparage the person who disagrees with their taste. Personally, I have no problem with someone who likes their 642 - it just wasn't for me so I moved on to other options.
Old October 13, 2014, 04:36 PM   #34
Luke1981

I've never cared to much for glocks. Functional and completely sound design. Super reliable. Also ugly and blocky. For some reason I have never been able to shoot accurately with one. I also am not found of kimber. Over hyped and over priced. Many better guns for lot less $$$.
Old October 13, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey
If it's not a glock or a glock copy, it's crap.

Anybody who condones the carry of SA/DA pistols, revolvers, or SAO pistols with hammers and such is really trying to carry a purse. He's not thinking that it's a practical defensive weapon, but more as something that is part of his outfit. A statement piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey
The only people carrying 1911's, P226, Ruger P95's, CZ75's, etc, are gun hipsters. Now if you want a pistol like this for fun then that's cool. But don't think they make a good carry weapon, because you're only fooling yourself.

Ignorance at it's finest. So because you prefer Glock's or striker fired pistols, anyone who doesn't carry a striker fired gun is only doing so to make a statement. That makes a whole lot of sense.

I guess Navy Seals, some of the most elite operators in the entire world, who get to choose every piece of equipment they use, are gun hipsters and only trying to make a statement by choosing Sig 229's in 9mm as their sidearms. Someone should have told them they should be using Glock's instead.

Personally I am not a fan of Glock's, the grips lack ergonomics and the grip angle causes the gun to not point right for me. Funny thing is I prefer DA/SA pistols over striker fired, I guess that makes me a "gun hipster" and the only reason I like them is to make a statement and for attention.

Last edited by Dragline45; October 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:00 PM   #36
spacemanspiff

Having short stubby fingers Glocks never fit my hand. So I am not a fan. I respect that they work when they are needed to.

However, with that said, even if I had larger hands, I dont find them aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, unlike a 1911 that can be dressed up and customized.

Thats my personal preference.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:36 PM   #37
Cyanide971

Dragline45, makes ya wonder, how did we ever win a gunfight using a "Hipster" auto pistol, or a revolver even?!
Old October 13, 2014, 09:43 PM   #38
SaxonPig

Any Ruger DA revolver. Ugly.

Glocks. Ugly and feel like holding a 2x4.

Ruger early DA autos. Ugly. Real ugly.

Lever action pistols meant to look like sawed off M92 Winchesters. Useless.

All 45/410 revolvers. Too big, too heavy, too ugly.

New Model Ruger SA revolvers. I like the traditional action.

Tec 9 style pistols. Useless.

Any revolver over 44 Magnum. Too much recoil.

1911s with extended tangs, controls, grooves at front of slide, etc.

Any handgun with a baked on refinish.

O/U derringers. Ugh.

Stainless (although I do own two of them). Practical, but I hate the look of stainless. I polished both of mine shiny.

Any gun with product warnings stamped prominently.

Revolvers with sleeved barrels.

Revolvers with key locks.

Handguns with scopes.

Eight shot 357 revolvers. They just offend me.

Any DA revolver in 45 Colt with a barrel over 4". Why a long barrel 45?

The 44 Automag. Big, heavy, clunky and silly looking.

Handguns with rails.

Or muzzle brakes.

Or porting.

Gee, didn't realize I was such a hater...
Old October 13, 2014, 10:13 PM   #39
Evil Monkey

Quote:
Either put a safety on it and make it SAO or make it a hammer fired DA/SA where only the first shot is a compromise
This is because you believe that in an adrenaline filled shootout, with you firing from an awkward position, or while moving and firing rapidly against a moving opponent, your 3lb 1911 trigger will somehow make you a sick marksman. That is ridiculous.

Quote:
I guess Navy Seals, some of the most elite operators in the entire world, who get to choose every piece of equipment they use, are gun hipsters and only trying to make a statement by choosing Sig 229's in 9mm as their sidearms.
There are many reasons for their choices that we do not understand. But we do understand what's needed for the concealed carrier, and it's not a sig p226. I had explained all that in my last post, but you just ignored it.

Quote:
So because you prefer Glock's or striker fired pistols, anyone who doesn't carry a striker fired gun is only doing so to make a statement. That makes a whole lot of sense.
Exactly. Just like those insane gun owners who think it's appropriate to use an M1 Garand as a home defense weapon.

Quote:
Uh-oh!

One of our posters might be suffering

from

Banana Deficiency.
lol
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old October 13, 2014, 10:29 PM   #40
Dragline45

Quote:
I had explained all that in my last post, but you just ignored it.
I did read it, and you are correct I chose to ignore it because I don't agree with more than half the stuff you say.

You seem to think that what meets your standards for firearms are gospel and everyone should adopt them. I can't tell if you are just trying to troll and get a rise out of people, or you are really that ignorant about firearms.
Old October 13, 2014, 10:42 PM   #41
Evil Monkey

Quote:
or you are really that ignorant about firearms.
Ignorant about firearms? Me? lol

That'll never happen in this life time. Ever.

I've been through the sa/da pistol ideology, cocked-n-locked, etc, and I've learned alot about what a defense pistol should be and what it shouldn't be. I laid out the reasons why and nobody has refuted yet.

Again, if you like 1911's and PPK's for fun, that's great. But let's not get silly.....when it's time to carry a pistol for self defense, it better be a M&P shield or something similar in operation.
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old October 13, 2014, 10:49 PM   #42
Dragline45

You seem to fail to grasp the concept that what might be the best choice for you, may not be for someone else.
Old October 13, 2014, 11:55 PM   #43
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The pistol needs to be relatively snag free. That means no crazy beaver tails, spurred hammers, etc.

The pistol needs to have a consistent trigger pull for ease of training. SA/DA is not conductive to this. SAO or DAO only.
If I carry it is a .38 snub. It is DA/SA and has a hammer.
Does this make me an idiot or a hipster?

More importantly does this mean you advocate a smooth gun such as the Glock carried in condition 3, over a snag-fest snub ready to shoot?

I ask this as local laws here say a semi needs to be chamber empty, hence my choice of a revolver.
In other words, blanket generalisations, given the myriad of needs, considerations and preferences out there, don't make for intelligent reading.
What I read in all of this is that the platform you described is clearly best for you, given your needs.

That all said, I do agree that the Glock styled gun does make a very good carry gun. One of the best. But at the exclusion of everything else? Sorry. Not convinced.

Onto guns that I don't like.
I must confess that I am not moved, as some are, by the pencil barreled S&W with the exposed ejector rod and emaciated grip. Nor am I a massive fan od the HP in terms of looks. Heresy I know, they just don't do it for me. I find the 1911 far more aesthetic.
Old October 14, 2014, 12:19 AM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The only people carrying 1911's, P226, Ruger P95's, CZ75's, etc, are gun hipsters.
I'd say you need to expand your horizons a bit. There are some people still around, and still carrying 1911A1s because they were doing that before the GLock existed. They know it, they trust it, and it works for them.

Quote:
when it's time to carry a pistol for self defense, it better be a M&P shield or something similar in operation.
That's you opinion, and welcome to it. I do wonder how you square it with the reality that what you name crap works, and has worked for a lot of people for a very long time.

Quote:
The 44 Automag. Big, heavy, clunky and silly looking.
About this, SaxonPig, we shall just have to disagree...

(also, its two words, .44 Auto Mag. The one word Automag refers to the AMT series of guns Automag II, III, IV, V, which are completely different mechanically from the original Auto Mag Pistols)
Old October 14, 2014, 02:40 AM   #45
DA/SA Fan

Quote:
This is because you believe that in an adrenaline filled shootout, with you firing from an awkward position, or while moving and firing rapidly against a moving opponent, your 3lb 1911 trigger will somehow make you a sick marksman. That is ridiculous.
No, practice will make me a better marksman. If a 5 or 6 lb. long pull mushy trigger makes you a better marksman, well, I find it hard to believe, but more power to ya, cause it flies in the face of common sense and reality. Still don't think you're ridiculous, just wrong.
Old October 14, 2014, 03:20 AM   #46
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Monkey
The pistol, is a device that under emergency use, must be simply drawn and fired. There needs to be nothing else done except draw and fire.

The pistol needs to be relatively snag free. That means no crazy beaver tails, spurred hammers, etc.

The pistol needs to have a consistent trigger pull for ease of training. SA/DA is not conductive to this. SAO or DAO only.

Because we don't need an external safety, as it creates an extra step in using the pistol, we must have a heavier and/or longer trigger pull for decreasing the chance of an ND. I do not believe light triggers help your accuracy in any situation except the shooting range.
OK, so walk me through this:
No beaver tail, spurred hammer, etc. to snag, check.
Consistent trigger pull, check.
No manual safety, check.
Long, heavy pull to decrease chance of ND, check.

So, it seems that my S&W 442 .38 revolver meets all of the criteria that you have so graciously provided us in your infinite wisdom. Yet, you also say this:

Quote:
Anybody who condones the carry of SA/DA pistols, revolvers, or SAO pistols with hammers and such is really trying to carry a purse. He's not thinking that it's a practical defensive weapon, but more as something that is part of his outfit. A statement piece.
Non sequitur oh anointed one, non sequitur.
Old October 14, 2014, 05:42 AM   #47
CajunBass

Oh yea. I forgot. I don't care much for "J" frame sized revolvers. Never have. Just too small for me.

Again, I don't really "dislike" them, I just don't have much interest in them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 14, 2014, 07:48 AM   #48
SaxonPig

It's all opinion. That's the point to having the discussion. I don't expect anyone to agree with not worth arguing, you know.
Old October 14, 2014, 02:19 PM   #49
spacemanspiff

Quote:
when it's time to carry a pistol for self defense, it better be a M&P shield or something similar in operation.
Or what? You'll put your hands on your hips and give me the EvilMonkey Eye?

You should totally go work at a gunshop so you can preach to everyone all your superior knowledge and give advice from your extensive life experiences.

Can you give suggestions on the best mods to put on a Tactical Segway?
Old October 14, 2014, 03:08 PM   #50
Nakanokalronin

LOL, you guys are feeding the monkey too much.

I own SA/DA, SAO and DAO firearms. I shoot them all equally well since I practice with all of them. I can transition from one to the next with no reason to shoot a few rounds to get into a groove.

I currently carry an XDS45, but will soon be switching over to a S&W CS9. It's DA/SA like my Beretta 92 Elite, S&W 5904, Ruger P89 and quite a few other pistols with similar triggers. Many of those guns have a better SA trigger pull than any striker fired gun and the DA first pull is easy to use effectively with little practice if you've never shot one before.

Carry what ever you want, but don't be pompous and say that someone is just wearing the gun as a fashion statement or doesn't really have a defensive carry gun because it's not brand A or something similar. I've ignored plenty of gun store commandos with the same attitude.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; October 14, 2014 at 04:24 PM.