The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #26
cetanner

Shield from the 2 you listed. I use the Ruger SR9C for CC. Don't know where you found a Shield. A friend of mine has been looking for one for at least 4 months and can't find one in South Carolina.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:32 PM   #27
Kevin_d77

Found one online. I paid 475 out the door, tax, tag and title back in November here in FL. Paid slightly more on Mon night but hey, I really wanted it.

The 40's have been more common around here but they are absolutely not fun to shoot. I could shoot the Shield 9 all day long and be fine w it.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:59 PM   #28
Biner

Quote:
Ay recommendations for IWB holsters?
I'm real happy with the Galco KingTuk for my Shield. I originally bought the holster for an M&P 40C, but the Shield fits it firmly, securely and comfortably. I also have the "Professional Series" IWB for the Shield from n82tactical.com. I've been happy with it, too, although I'd give the Galco a slight edge for comfort, since it's slightly thinner. Both holsters are very well made, IMO.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #29
dean1818

The 40 shield does not recoil bad at all

I have shot other 40s that recoiled very hard.

Not the Shield

I can shoot all day..... No problem

It's a great pistol

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old March 6, 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
Kevin_d77

Guess its all perception. I can shoot my xd40 all day but don't really care for my coworkers Shield 40 much at all.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #31
Kevin_d77

Any reason why it seems that so many people are against safeties on carry guns? Particularly the Shield. And if you carry a Shield, do you carry w the safety on or off?
Old March 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #32

The shield is a great CC pistol and carry mode is entirely up to you. Do you want to train to sweep the safety off upon presentation or just carry it without the safety on? You can do either.

Congrats on getting the Shield! My shooting partner has one and I really like it for it's size and I really wouldn't need anything smaller. I'm an XDm guy so I may look at the XDs in 9mm when it's released to the market.

Now you have the option of picking any CZ you like. I have a P-01 and it is a great compact, but you can't go wrong with a full size 75B for range use along with home and vehicle defense.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:59 PM   #33
Kevin_d77

I too have several XD's. I was interested in the XDs9 as well but I figured it would make more sense to get another Shield since we already have extra mags etc. Plus my wife could still use mine in a pinch. I will plan on getting a CZ eventually, possibly SP01 but I just can't justify it right now since I have the Jericho CZ clone already.

I think I will plan on carrying w the safety on. I have been practicing drawing and disengaging the safety already and it's very intuitive for me so far. I was just curious as to why there are so many detractors of safeties on carry guns.

I will probably eventually get a holster for my XD40 as well to switch it up a bit. That's the service model though so I have zero idea how it will conceal.
Old March 11, 2013, 06:52 PM   #34

Well having the same mags is definitely a benefit. I don't use the safety when I shoot my partner's Shield, but he is considering it because he sometimes carries the Dan Wesson CBob so the same manual of arms can be used. I should note though that he recently bought an XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm which could become his year-round carry. If my XDM had a manual safety, which none do, I wouldn't use it, but it would not bother me one little bit being on the pistol. You can get an XD with a manual safety still, I believe.