The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 21, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1
sidaemon

Shooting side by side in heads up?

So, I've been involved in shooting for a few years now. Mostly IDPA but I've done some other stuff too. About a year ago I got involved in MDing for the local club. The fun shoot is what it was called. I really love doing it, but I'm noticing that over time it's just sort of turning into an IDPA clone event.

I don't like that, and so I want to change it. In the past we've run some stages that are non movement, draw and fire stages that have two competitors shooting mirror image stages in head to head competition, sort of similar to how IDPA tie breaker stages are run but with a whole lot more targets.

That's great, but I'm worried about the issue of talent level. People getting schooled by the best shooters that come out is going to get old fast. My initial thought was handicapping. Setting a handicap where one shooter went first and on the second buzzer the other shooter tried to catch up. This seemed like it would increase the fun level, but I think it makes being a good shooter more of a negative thing than a fun thing.

My newest idea is to set a handicap, but more in the way of a competitive idea. Basically two matched up shooters will shoot the entire match together. At the start of each stage the faster shooter would spot the slower shooter X number of seconds. The shooters would shoot the stage and whoever finishes first would take points equal to the handicap level.

This would make it competitive both between the two shooters shooting heads up, and it would also make it possible to track a shooter against all the other shooters. To win a match simply gain more overall points on the day then everyone else!

Seems a tad complicated, but I think it motivates shooters to try to push themselves to their limits. Also its going to be awesome seeing one of the expert level shooters call a huge handicap and get trashed by a mid level shooter....

Thoughts on this? Concerns, Suggestions? Thanks zac.
Old January 21, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
RickB

When I've shot head-to-head bowling pin matches, everyone first shot three solo runs to establish the pecking order. Rather than a handicap, you shot against the shooter who's "qualifying" time was closest to yours. If you over-achieve, you get to take on the big dogs, if not, you get beaten by someone who is a close match for you, regardless of your skill level. The lower-level shooters are eliminated early on, and the best shooters have to wait to shoot, but it avoids anyone really getting spanked by a much better shooter.
Old January 21, 2010, 05:51 PM   #3
drail

I love man on man pin and steel matches! And I've been spanked by the best. Gotta love the guys that come in and sandbag everybody else until the final pair off. Nothing like a good spankin to bring you back down to your own level. Good luck to you on making it "fair".
Old January 21, 2010, 10:30 PM   #4
sidaemon

My idea isn't to so much make it fair, but to put everyone in a situation were they have to push themselves no matter the level of shotter they're up against. Also, I have to admit the idea of adding a gambling type of addition to the shooting appeals to me!

After all, put gambling and shooting together and I won't be able to beat the shooters off! What could be more addictive?
Old January 23, 2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

I've shot a lot of different types of competition through the years, including man on man events. One thing I've learned from it is, that anytime you introduce a class system or a handicap system you encourage shooters to cheat by sand bagging.

What I would do is give every shooter a number as they sign up, put all the numbers in a hat and have someone draw two numbers from the hat until all the shooters are paired up. I would re-draw the numbers for every race and try to have as many races as possible for that event.
Then before the event was over I would take the top two shooters and have a best 3 out of 5 shootoff between them.
What works really well for number drawing is a pea bottle with numbered peas.

This type of competition will make the poorer shooters get better while at the same time it will not penalize the good shooters that have spent the time and money it takes to get to their level.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 31, 2010, 02:24 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

Classifications works better. New guys shoot with new guys. Experienced guys shoot with experienced guys. Mind you, I'd run the team thing too, but without the time sharing. And use the hat.