The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Hundy

2 Quick Powder Questons

I have a Pound of Hodgdon Universal. I used it to make 150 45acp loads a week ago.
First question I have found in some books and on line they refer to some powder as: "Universal", "H. Universal", and "Clays Universal". Are these just different names for the same powder?

Second Question: I have Hornady Bullets. The Hornady book and the Lyman book do not mention Universal or Titegroup as a option for my reloads. However the Hodgdon site does mention them.

Has anyone ever used Titegroup or Universal for 357 mag 125gr, 158gr or 180gr. I have all 3.

Thanks

Jay
Old May 6, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Hundy

Forgot to add

I am sorry forgot to add that the 125gr is for 38 special, not 357 mag.

Thanks

Jay
Old May 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3
BigTex308

Re: 2 Quick Powder Questons

The powder website is the best resource for load data. That's all I use. It's the most up to date and has the most info.

I still like to cross reference the data with my other manuals, but the hodgdon/win/IMR site is my favorite.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Hammerhead

Quote:
I have found in some books and on line they refer to some powder as: "Universal", "H. Universal", and "Clays Universal". Are these just different names for the same powder?
Yes. Those are all names for Universal. They used to label it 'Universal Clays', now it is just 'Universal' to avoid confusion with 'Clays'.

Universal is a great powder, my favorite for handguns, just be very careful with the data, make sure you are not using data for 'Clays'.

Titegroup is a good powder for light .357 loads, but Universal is far better IMO.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:49 PM   #5
mjes92

Like the name implies "Universal" works very well for several calibers and loads. I agree Hodgdon.com is the best place to go for "Universal" load data.

If you're not looking for peak performance in a wide variety of calibers I think you will very happy. Currently using it for plinking .44 mag, .38 spl, 9mm, & .380 acp.

Load Safe
NRA - Life Member
Old May 6, 2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Hundy

thank you

Thank you for the replies. I honestly felt that those were the correct answers in my gut, before posting. But I figured I would double check. Just want to make sure, I continue to be accurate and safe.

Thank you again

Jay
Old May 6, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
mmb713

I use Universal for 45 Auto, 45 Colt and 357. I've worked up a load that is really accurate out of my Blackhawk using 158gr X-treme flat points. Accurate loads in the 45s too. I've found that Universal is inconsistent, high extreme spreads and standard deviations, at starting and mid-range loads. They tighten up as you approach maximum. That's were my loads are and the holes in paper are really tight. It's a good, clean powder. I like it a lot.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:10 PM   #8
j357

You are on the right track with two great powders for the rounds you mention. Agree that the Hodgdon website is your best source.

Happy loading.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
GP100man

Clays is the fastest of the 2 powders ya mentioned , good for plinkin & target loads .

Universal is a notch slower & will produce faster velocitys at safe pressures.

Universals gotta be good , everytime I look for some it`s sold out !!
Old May 7, 2013, 07:40 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Think of Universal as "modern easy-metering clean-burning Unique"