The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 07:39 PM   #26
SPEMack618

Pops made me a toy rifle on his lathe. That looked really cool and of course had no orange tip.

My Mother and I were invovled in an accident, and while the deputy was taking the report, I was still sitting in the passenger seat and the deputy inquired, very friendly, if that as my rifle. He was shocked to see that it was toy.

Heck, I had a toy MP-5 that was all black except for the orange tip that I used when playing "recon" in the yard(only boy child on a farm, had to get creative) and my Uncle thought it was real when he saw it for the first time because the orange tip was so dirty.

The thing is, I knew those were toys and treated them as such.

And with one notable exception invovling a Red Ryder BB gun, one of my Big Sister's barbies, and a couple of spankings, I never once did anything stupid with a real gun growing up.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:56 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo 33 Delta
One of my fondest memories was the Nichols "Stallion 45". You'ld pull apart the two-piece cartridge, insert 1 (or more) circular caps, put them back together and load them through the side loading gate ... just like on your real SSA!
I had one of those, and I have always wondered what became of it.

Back then (1950s) our toy holsters were real leather, and about as good as what some of the cheap holster places charge now for "real" western rigs (made in Mexico with machine embossing). I remember once when something happened to one of my holsters when I was about 8 years old. Next time we went to town, while my mother was in the market (they weren't "super" markets then) I wandered down the street to the shoe repair shop and paid the man a whole quarter to sew up my holster.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:57 PM   #28
TXAZ

Would I be "old" if I admitted I had one of the Burp guns?
Thanks for the pleasant memory. We played army, cops and robbers and many others.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 23, 2013, 07:23 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

A friend of mine had one of the Zero M radio guns when I was growing up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9_0N3g5bw

That's a VERY young Kurt Russell hocking it!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:47 AM   #30
reinert

Mattel made the coolest kid guns, bar-none, back in the late 50's-early 60's. I still have a "shootin' shell" rolling block and the "shootin' shell" fanner along with it. Got some "greenie" stick m caps too.

I can't help but think that the reloading bug hit me hard back in those days, as the shootin' shells with the plastic bullets primed with a "greenie" was a real primer for the real deal that reloading has become for me personally these years of late (been reloading ammo for close to 35 years now).

Being the youngest of three sons, I had to wait, and watch, and be content with my Mattels until I could use, and hunt with (and after taking the proper firearms safety course when I was twelve), the firearms my dad and "big bros" got to use in the field. Yeah, had to be content with my Mattel "roller" while walking a corn row for pheasants... had to be a hunter's life lesson there for sure, and Mattel was there to make it a bit easier.

It's awful hard to see that what a lot of us grew up with, as just plain part of what just about everyone did back in those days regarding the shooting sports, has become such an issue of controversial magnitude. That being said, I wouldn't trade my hunting/shooting/Mattel cap-gun cultural upbringing for anything. Dads! Get your kids out there in the field, even if it is with a cap gun to start with! Thanks Mattel, for the memories...

reinert
Old March 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #31
Gbro

Mike,
I couldn't help but recognize the similarity of your post and the Story F. Guffy tells in the link below.
Quote:
A friend of mine had one of the Zero M radio guns when I was growing up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9_0N3g5bw

That's a VERY young Kurt Russell hocking it!
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...2&postcount=24
Old March 23, 2013, 01:42 PM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uh, you lost me, Gbro...

Friend also had a Mattel M-16 Marauder... Can't find a commercial of it, but there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUbl19Gd6H8

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 23, 2013, 02:01 PM   #33
David White

Toy gun commercial from the 50's

Ah... Those where the days!

Old March 23, 2013, 02:13 PM   #34
JRH6856

I had a ThunderBurp. I also had a Burp gun. Worked like the TommyBurp in the commercial but it was an copy of an M3. Lots of different cap pistols. A luger water pistol that used detachable water filled magazines. Came with two extras.

That's what the antis fear about commerials like that. Those kids having fun with toy guns grew up to become...us.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:32 PM   #35
Evan Thomas

Gunslingers!

That's me, on the left. The fierce dude with the tin badge was my pal Greg. Both aged around five, I think.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gunslingers-1.jpg (118.7 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Evan Thomas; March 23, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:51 PM   #36
arch308

What a trip down memory lane! Greenie stickum caps! Awesome!
Anybody remember the Johnny Reb cannon? It was a toy Civil War cannon that was spring loaded and shot plastic cannon balls. One Christmas half the boys on the block got one. We had many great battles with them and our cap muskets.
I feel very lucky to have grown up in the 50s & 60s!
Old March 23, 2013, 05:26 PM   #37
bbqbob51

I got toy guns every Christmas when I was a kid

I recall a Civil War Union soldier set with a rifle, belt with ammo pouch and a cap.
Another year I got the WWII infantry set with an M1 with bayonet, hand grenades and a helmet. I think there were other accessories but I can't recall what,
One Christmas I got the set called the "Sarge" with a 1911 pistol, belt and holster and a helmet with the sergeant's patch screened on it.
When the James Bond movies with Sean Connery were popular I also got the 007 attache case with a pistol that converted into a rifle by adding a stock, scope and silencer. The case also had a code book, built in camera, smoke screen (actually talc) and a hidden knife you could pull out. I wish I had that baby now!
I remember running around the neighborhood with my friends having mock battles, fun times in the early to mid sixties!
Old March 23, 2013, 06:32 PM   #38
bbqbob51

These were the days, I used to love looking at the the Sears Wishbook when I was a kid. This was the Civil War set I got, I'd forgotten everything that came with it!
Old March 23, 2013, 08:24 PM   #39
Rembrandt

Old March 23, 2013, 08:26 PM   #40
Rembrandt

Old March 23, 2013, 08:27 PM   #41
Rembrandt

Old March 24, 2013, 04:03 AM   #42
JRH6856

^^^How does a silencer really work on a gun that doesn't really fire?
Old March 24, 2013, 08:52 AM   #43
Evan Thomas

It's a Zen thing...
Old March 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #44
Pilot

One of my favorites from the 60's though.

Old March 24, 2013, 07:09 PM   #45
Gunnut17

Man, I missed out.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #46
Garycw

Toy gun commercial from the 50's

I still have my WESTERN HAGE pistol I ordered when I was six. It used Greene stickem caps and shot a small steel ball like a # 10 shot. I was sooo excited when I got it. Later graduated to daisy red Ryder and a lever action which I wore both out

Sent from iPhone
Old March 25, 2013, 12:23 PM   #47
adamc

My older cousin had a Johnny Reb cannon... we used to put rubber balls in it

IIRC :-) the spring had some wallop to it

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 25, 2013, 12:33 PM   #48
SPEMack618

Didn't a couple of hand picked A-Teams issue the Marauder?
Old March 25, 2013, 06:45 PM   #49
reinert

For you Johnny Reb cannoneers from long ago, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53mADuA5aM8

Nope, they don't make stuff, let alone commercials, like that anymore. Really, wouldn't want to get nailed by one o' them cannonballs neither...
Old March 25, 2013, 07:38 PM   #50
Stevie-Ray

Kurt Russell again, along with the unmistakeable voice of William Conrad, in a commercial for the Agent Zero M Sonic Blaster, a toy destined to be taken off the market due to it's 157dB blast being harmful to hearing, of course. Not before I got mine, though. Very cool for July 4th and New Year's Eve, without the need for illegal fireworks. Can't find the original commercial which shows it doing all kinds of cool things, including shooting a ball of smoke. Wet a kitchen match and light it and hold the smoking match under the inverted gun and then shoot it. I don't blame my parents for my hearing loss, though it is probable that this contributed to it, as this was my Red Ryder, simply the greatest Christmas gift I'd ever gotten. Wish I still had it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E1JO6bADeQ

Also had something like those ThunderBurps, but I remember mine being bigger like the Chopper, but also green rather than black. At the same time, my friend got a tripod mounted M2. Battery powered, though.

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; March 25, 2013 at 07:43 PM.