The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 6, 2012, 10:44 PM   #26
orthosophy

There was a drill for this, wasn't there? The pencil in the BBL/Paper on the wall drill?

[edit] found it: http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...9&postcount=22 [/edit]

Last edited by orthosophy; March 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #27
wayneinFL

A lot of good advice here. The only thing I have to add:

When you push the gun out toward the target, don't stop it suddenly at the end. It should stop gradually, like an elevator. You can stop quickly, but don't let it bounce at the end.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:37 PM   #28
brickeyee

Quote:
I was trying to give him (OP) advice for what I thought was beginning marksmanship training.
Except that is not what was asked.

Quote:
Whenever I train on the range, as I draw my pistol, my goal is to bring the gun up and to have the front sight go directly to the center of the target. However, it seems that no matter how much I practice, when I bring the gun up into the firing position, my front sight first goes off to the left or right, or perhaps a bit too high.
You need to smooth out your draw and learn how to bring the gun up into your field of vision ON the target.

It is a practice thing.
Start off easy ('indexed' to the target) until the draw is smooth and reliably on the target.

THEN start working on targets that are not nicely positioned (like off to the side).

It takes a lot of practice, and there is no simple way to speed things up.
Old March 7, 2012, 03:40 PM   #29
mehavey

Quote:
...goal is to bring the gun up and to have the front sight go directly to the center of the target.
Low-gun skeet shooters practice this as a matter of course.

Do NOT look at the front sight as the gun is coming up. Instead concentrate--and keep concentrating--solely on the target center "spot" and bring the bring the front sight up into the picture. Once there, track target & sight together.

Repeat
Do NOT look down for the gun sight. It will automatically arrive exactly where you are looking. And if you look somewhere else, it will go that somewhere else.

Front sight, Front Sight, …FRONT SIGHT….. forget everything else in a close-mid range defensive scenario. The rear sight alignment is not your priority. The FRONT SIGHT coming into your line-of-sight is your priority. Everything else will automatically take care of itself if your laser focus on the FRONT SIGHT