The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 17, 2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Webleymkv

CVA Express Double Rifle?

A local shop has a CVA Express .50cal double rifle with a price tag of $250. The gun is obviously used (minor finish wear at corners, a few dings in the stock) but all in all seems to be in good condition. Anyone know much about theses (any good)? Does this seem like a fair price?
Old September 17, 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

The gun broker has one at auction with a starting bid of $450. Some were made by Pedersoli and are quality guns.

I have a Navy Arms 12Ga SXS made by Pedersoli and it is a high quality shotgun. But one must know that my shotgun was one of the first imported in to the US, it's a light 12 and has a walnut stock.

At $250, maybe you can talk them down a bit, I think it's a good buy. The major problem is getting the barrels to shoot in the same spot. You will wind up with one load that will put both ball into the same spot time after time. Will take some work but the rewards will be worth it. And if you decide to sell at a later date, showing how it shoots means you can ask more for it.

One last thing Dixie Gun Works sell the Pesersoli double rifle for $1100.
Tom F
Old September 18, 2008, 05:41 AM   #3
darkgael

CVA

Is it the O/U double or the SXS? In any case, $250 is a fair price. The one that I examined was an O/U. Nice finish, mounted well. Was very tempted. It was being sold for $350. I had just bought a 20ga. Fowler and couldn't swing another gun.
I believe that the O/Us went for $425 +/- new. Not 100% sure about that.
I seen pics of a CVA SXS .50 on Gunbroker. Didn't know that they marketed such a piece ever. It was made in Spain. Buy it Now price was $675. It did not sell.
Pete
Here's some additional info about the gun - the SXS;
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...ge=2#Post52106

Last edited by darkgael; September 18, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old September 18, 2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Webleymkv

This one was the SXS and was marked "Made in Spain"
Old September 19, 2008, 04:13 AM   #5
darkgael

cva

$250 for the SXS is a good price, assuming that the gun is in good shape. You will want to examine the barrel wedge assembly at the muzzle. That is how the barrels are regulated on less expensive doubles so it is important that all parts are there and fit tightly. The barrel wedge method is also the most criticized element of DRs in this price range. The common complaint being that it loosens and deregulates. I do not know about that from personal experience, only from what I have read.
Normal distance for regulation for these guns is, I believe, 75 yards.
Pete
Old September 24, 2008, 03:43 PM   #6
hillbille

may want to check your state regulations if you want to take it hunting, here they have to be single shot to be legal. If it is just to shoot and play with have fun.
Old September 25, 2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Webleymkv

I don't think Indiana has such a restriction. Besides, I wasn't really looking for a deer rifle so much as an interesting addition to my collection.