The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 1999, 02:11 PM   #1
imi

Hello! For my first post, I wish to ask opinions which brand/system of recoil reducer to use for each of my two full-size 1911s--a .45 ACP and a .38 Super!
Old July 1, 1999, 06:11 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

IMI, I don't use either and I get asked to install or sell about the same of each so I'll leave it to someone who uses them to advise you. George
Old July 1, 1999, 08:17 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Greetings, sir. I tried the Sprinco in my 9mm HP and was most dissatisfied. Frankly, about the "best" I've found is to use 18.5 lb conventional Wolff recoil springs in my HP and my 1911s. In the 1911s, I use the small plastic recoil buffer and replace when worn.
These seem to prevent battering as well as anything, just be sure that you don't have a worn out one in a piece for serious work as they can jam the weapon when they come apart.
Best.
Old July 1, 1999, 11:05 PM   #4
imi

George and Stephen--thanks for your replies. The reason for this post is to learn if there is a "recoil reducer" which would effectively work in my "stock" .38 Super 1911. I shoot only standard loads in it but I'll be happier if the recoil would be reduced. Do you think a "bull barrel" would be a better solution; or a combination of the two?
Old July 2, 1999, 12:35 AM   #5
Jonnie Goodboy Tyler

I have used a Harrts on a Glock 22 (.40 S&W)and a Shock Tec (standard length) on Colt Delta Elite (10mm).

I would not recommend either one. Neither one reduced recoil, at least not that I could tell. The Harrts did change the point of impact, however, I don't remember which way the point of impact moved. I sold the Glock back in 95 - the POS broke a trigger return spring (I think) after 1000 rounds.

The Shock Tec did not change point of impact. I believe it did prevent some battering. After 4000 rounds, I replaced the Shock Tec with a conventional full length recoil spring guide. The Shock Tec is still in good condition, I just wanted to see if a full length recoil spring guide would increase the life of the recoil spring.

I have a 38 Super race gun, and I can attest that a good compensator will definitely reduce recoil, increase recoil spring life and allow the use of a lighter recoil spring. My 38 super has hardly any muzzle flip. Of course, a compensator will take your gun out of the "stock" category, and the muzzle blast/flash is greatly increased.

Jonnie
Old July 2, 1999, 10:16 PM   #6
Matt K

Go for the Sprinco, they work great, especially in the 1911. Rob, Todd and lots of the other pros use em.

matt

------------------
Matt's Custom Glock Resource - Because Stock is Slow!
custom-glock.com