The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 27, 2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Defensive fall back?

With the possible political problems concerning the 2nd amendment after the next election, has any one thought about purchasing cap and ball revolvers to insure they have a defensive fall back?
I didn’t buy mine for this reason but I do have 5 and enough balls, caps and powder to last sometime.

And please don't start this into a political discussion! This question only covers your thought about purchasing cap and ball revolvers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg defensive fall back.jpg (141.0 KB, 43 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; August 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old August 27, 2016, 12:38 PM   #2
cjwils

If the anti gun people ever control the white house, the congress, and the courts to such an extent that you would be forced to fall back on the use of cap and ball guns, then it would be a very minor step for the anti gun factions to also outlaw cap and ball, or any other antique or replica gun.

Last edited by cjwils; August 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 27, 2016, 01:01 PM   #3
K_Mac

I would not consider cap and ball a reasonable or acceptable alternative for self-defense. As Forrest Hump once said, "That's all I have to say about that."
Old August 27, 2016, 02:27 PM   #4
g.willikers

Some states treat cap and ball revolvers the same as modern ones.
If the folks in power increase their attack on gun owners, you might be better off with a bow and arrow than any kind of firearm.
Even crossbows are treated badly in some places.
Remember the true goal of disarmament is the forced control of the citizens and has always been exactly that.
Old August 27, 2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Old Bill Dibble

Using the UK as a guide I don't think a cap and ball, bow and arrow, ninja sword or a zombie knife (yes those are getting banned now too) are adequate "fall back".

Eventually everything will be banned.
Old August 29, 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
kraigwy

Regardless, worse come to worse in the elections, it may become difficult to buy a gun but you wont get them banned, not in a long time.

I'm going to go out on a ledge and say it wont happen in several decades, not in my life time anyway. A president cant do it, too many states wont allow congress to do it.

What can happen is make it difficult to get ammo, and components. The EPA can sneak in rules restricting transportation of ammo and components.

Not too long ago they closed one of the last lead mines. Problem is there is too much used lead out there to effect shooting, but its a sign.

About 40 years ago when I started shooting High Power, the club women brought food to the matches for a picnic after we shot. We'd set around telling stories, and this topic would come up. There were two older shooters, in their 70s. They brought up the same fears back then and told us younger shooters to concentrate on Primers. You control primers you control shooting and guns. You have primers you can always s shoot.

I go one step farther, I'll add powder with that. Lots of re-usable brass around, lots of lead, Any firearm can shoot cast bullets. If you have primers and powder, you'll always be able to shoot.

You can look back and see shortages that pop up every now and then. Every election there is a scare followed by component shortages.

No one is going to come to your house after your guns. Not in this life time.

But we all know primers and powder sometimes are difficult to get.

Every time I need a brick of primers, I buy two. Every time I need a pound of powder, I buy two. If stored properly, they will last forever, or at least longer then I will last.

I have several thousand LP primers I bought in the mid 80s, some older then that. Every now and then I buy the same make and size new, to compare them. Through a choreograph and testing for accuracy, I cant tell the difference.

Just last week, I was told buy the owner of a regular prominent gun shop to prepare, as another drought is coming soon. I wasn't told this because he wanted to make a sale, he knows my policy habits. Plus his prices are a bit higher then the box stores.

Take this for what its worth. JMHO
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 29, 2016, 10:45 AM   #7
TailGator

The last few election cycles have produced repeated shortages of various sorts of ammunition and firearms, but none have been a result of passed legislation. We have been our own worst enemies with panic buying and hoarding.
Old August 29, 2016, 02:38 PM   #8
SC4006

Quote:
No one is going to come to your house after your guns. Not in this life time.
Actually, this has already happened before. During the aftermath of hurricane katrina police officers went door to door confiscating lawfully owned firearms to prepare for a forced evacuation. Yeah it was only one small area and not the whole country, but it shows that it can happen.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:27 AM   #9
Skans

Heck no! I'm not about to use cap and ball revolvers as a fall back for anything. Why would I? Its easier, cheaper and more sensible to just pick up another 1000 rounds of 5.56 and 9mm ammo when I have some spare change. How many rounds of ammunition can I realistically be expected to go through over the next 30 years? Even if its somewhere around 50,000 rounds, that's about a $12,000-13,000 investment, and I'm set for life.

That's right, I doubt I will be shooting 1k+ rounds/year in my 70's and 80's. If I am then something went seriously wrong!

Powder, primer and brass can be hard to get, and it's not easy to manufacture any of these yourself. Why bother? You can buy cheap .223 for $245/1000. No, you can't reload it. No, you can't hit a bug's nut 1000 yards away with it. It's good, cheap, effective ammo for plinking and defense. If spending lots of time making (and shooting) match grade ammo is your thing, then I can understand the time and money spent on this. However, if you just want to make sure you have enough ammo to shoot then buy and store the ammo now. Buying and storing ammo components so you can make ammo in the far future for plinking and defense is a waste of time (buying, inventorying and storing the stuff) on top of a waste of time (hand-making cartridges better than what you can buy now).

Last edited by Skans; August 30, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:39 AM   #10
Lohman446

A lot of effective defensive tactics are not based on projectile weapons.
Old August 30, 2016, 10:45 AM   #11
Jleonard

I've actually held on to my .44 cal Colt 1860 Army revolver for that very reason. Just in case.
However, I am now selling it.
Old August 30, 2016, 06:46 PM   #12
benEzra

Quote:
The last few election cycles have produced repeated shortages of various sorts of ammunition and firearms, but none have been a result of passed legislation.
Unless you live in California, or New York, or Massachusetts, or a few other states.

Looking around the USA, it seems to me that the best hedge against future bans is to buy the guns you want, not the guns you don't want. Any Massachusetts residents that went out and bought AR's last year still legally own them, but those who didn't can no longer do so legally. Hedging against the possibility of a drop in availability is not irrational, given the activities of a certain control-freak billionaire who has made it his life's mission to outlaw many of the the most popular guns in the United States.

Also, I'll point out that AR's, Mini-14's, Tavors, etc. are still legal in Canada and much of Europe, and that even in the UK, you can own a semiautomatic shotgun with unlimited capacity on the right certificate (but not a cap-and-ball revolver). Even Australia, which is gun-control hell compared to most of the Western world, still allows bolt-actions and IIRC lever-actions (for now).

Last edited by benEzra; August 30, 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old August 30, 2016, 07:00 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

Closed, at the request of the OP.