The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 14, 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
ragwd

Marlin Model 60

Howdy gents,
I am new to this area of "tfl" and I was looking for a little help restoring a marlin model 60 .22lr. A project that may not deserve the time and dollars to restore but still I would like to try because I had many a pleasant afternoons squirreling with this rifle back in the 70's. At first look everything looked ok except the white plastic piece at the back right of the hammer mechanism. So im looking to replace the entire hammer mechanism. So my question is where can i find such a part.
Thanks for your time.
Old December 14, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Numrich should have the part(s) you are looking for: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
Old December 15, 2006, 06:35 AM   #3
ragwd

Thanks for the info Mal H, i visited their web site and they do have all the parts but i was hoping to find the whole hammer mechanism, mine fell completely apart and all the schematics I'm finding on line dont seem detailed enough.
Old December 15, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4
hoghunting

See if this helps. If not, you might want to check pawn shops for a used 60 in poor condition and buy it for the parts.
Old December 15, 2006, 04:35 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

I may have a schematic on it laying around here, I will see if I can find it for you and post it if I do. It isn't hard to replace the hammer on this gun. I would go ahead and order the parts to upgrade the feeding system while you have it apart. Marlin has done a fine job with improving the rifle over the years and it has gone from a jamo matic to a very fine shooting and feeding rifle with the new parts upgrade. Like Hoghunting suggested, getting a spare one to have isn't a bad idea just to have a second rifle in case parts ever get scarce.
Old December 15, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
ragwd

This is the best I have found so far on the hammer mechanism and its just a bit to vague for me, if someone has some pictures, that would be much appreciated.
Old December 16, 2006, 12:02 AM   #7
hoghunting

I left this link out of my post. This is the "see if this helps":

http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_60.pdf
Old December 16, 2006, 11:27 PM   #8
ragwd

Thanks hoghuntin, guess i'll give it a try.
Old December 27, 2006, 12:23 AM   #9
Coltlover

Marlin 60

Have you tried calling Marlin (800) 544-8892? Just tell them you just bought the gun and see if they will send some of the parts for free. When I first bought my wife this rifle I broke the whole gun Apart and bent the recoil spring all to hell and slightly bent the recoil spring guide putting it back together. I called and got this lady who could not have been nicer and sent the parts out free of charge. I have the owner’s manual in my hands and it is the same picture as you have posted. If you need the parts names list I have that I could write the numbers down for you. Good Luck

Anyone know where to get new furniture for this rifle?
Old December 27, 2006, 01:59 AM   #10
Scorch

The bolt buffer (the little plastic thing as you called it) is a standard replacement part. You don't need t replace the entire trigger mechanixm, just buy a bolt buffer and put it in. The entire trigger mechanism would cost as much as the rifle is worth.
Old December 29, 2006, 07:56 PM   #11
ColtEd

Marlin Parts

ragwd

Completely disregard what Coltlover has posted. There are enough entities in this country trying to screw over the firearms industry (politicians, trial lawyers etc.) and now Coltlover wants you to screw Marlin out of a few lousy bucks. Theres much better advice out there, dont take his.......
Old December 29, 2006, 08:16 PM   #12
Coltlover

Sorry if I offended you ColtEd if you noticed I said a few parts not the whole shebang. Just trying to help sorry for any misunderstanding. At least he now he has the number and can call to place an order.
Old January 1, 2007, 12:31 PM   #13
Daves-got-guns

i have had one marlin apart, and one of the extractors was totally junk, and so when u chambered the first round ud have to slam it pretty good or they just pop out. I think it has something to do with the timing and that nifty "follower" hits them too hard. Father plain wore out a marlin as a kid.
Old January 14, 2007, 02:31 PM   #14
ragwd

update on marlin rebuild,

not only was the buffer broken but also the pin clips that hold the thing mechanism together, and with the heads up from you guys(mal h) about numrich (thank you very much) i was able to get the parts needed cheaply enough and after a few too many hours of work i got it back together, saved this old rifle from the scrap pile..........now about refinishing the wood, any ideas ???
thanks guys
Old January 15, 2007, 12:40 AM   #15
Coltlover

You can check this out and see what you think.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=231310
Old January 15, 2007, 07:34 PM   #16
ragwd

thanks coltlover, i will read it
Old June 1, 2010, 05:18 PM   #17
GunNutPerk

Hey ragwd,
I have the same problem you did with your hammer mechanism, i was wondering how you got it all back together, i cant really figure out how to get it all back together. Any advice?
Old June 1, 2010, 07:43 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

A while back I advised not to take that trigger group apart unless necessary and got flamed by folks saying how simple it was.

Like they say in courtroom dramas, I rest my case.

Jim
Old June 2, 2010, 12:29 AM   #19
ragwd

GunNutPerk,
Welcome to The Firing Line. I think it is the best single source of information on the world wide web. These guys are good.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11760

That link is to Numrich Company, they have parts that you might need. Also on that page upper right corner "open schematic in new window" then enlarge it and print it. I sweated and swore for longer than I want to admit but I after many tries I finally got it together. My problem was the pin rings broke apart so when I took the reciever apart everything fell apart. I am no way a smith but I have alot of patients, and kept trying until I got all the springs back in the right spot. I am sorry that I have no other advice except that it aint brain surgery and with trial and error and paying attention I hope you get lucky like I did. Really if you ask the right question you will find alot of help here. If you continue to have problems, let me know I will take pictures of mine.
Old June 2, 2010, 12:34 AM   #20
ragwd

GunNutPerk,
Also this link suppied by Hoghunting was very helpful http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_60.pdf
Old June 2, 2010, 05:21 AM   #21
10-96

Ragwd,
I'm glad things went back together and worked out for you without having to lie to anybody- BRAVO FOR YOU!

There is tons of info and tips here for refinishing your stock- I mean TONS! I sure hope it don't sound rude but my advice is: Search several methods for a while and decide what method works best for you.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 2, 2010, 08:00 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know if what fell apart was the E-rings, but Marlin used standard rings and pretty much standard size pins, so the E-rings should be available from Brownells or any well stocked hardware store.

Jim
Old June 3, 2010, 12:22 AM   #23
ragwd

10-96 and Jim Keenan,
Thanks for the advice, the marlin model 60 went into the safe and has only made 2 trips to the range for plinking. It still is somewhat of a jamomatic but I am leaving that sleeping dog alone. I use to have the same model rifle, that I use to squirrel with but over the years I let it slip away. So when I ran across this non functioning model 60, I picked it up for nostagia. In hind sight I just should have bought one in good shape and left that repair to someone that knew what they were doing. I have since moved on to reloading for my pistols and rifles (5.56 and .308). It seems to be a lot less frustrating. I do wish GunNutPerk well.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:34 PM   #24
GunNutPerk

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help ragwd, gotta order that plastic piece and some e clips for this thing. Then hopefuly i can get this thing back together. my hammer looks different from yours though, i got a new hammer assembly and i bought the old style because mine is from the late 60's early 70's but it aint the same (looks like your style), guess ill see if it works.
Old June 10, 2010, 12:35 PM   #25
ragwd

good luck, keep us updated