The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 22, 2010, 09:12 AM   #1
DarkRayz

looking for reassurance about a 9mm load...

Working on a second recipe since I started loading 9mm Luger here about 4 weeks back. Started with 115 gr Berry's RN with 5.0 gr of Unique with an OAL of 1.160. Worked okay, but dirty!

Got this below from a couple of loading sources. Can the loading veterans please confirm this is a correct and reasonable start?

124gr Berrys plated round nose bullets
Titegroup power, 4.0 grains
OAL of 1.150"

When I made a few, I tested it in the barrel of my CZ 75 and it makes a pleasing 'plohnk' sound and sits well against the flange: from this I conclude (yes??) that it correctly does not contact the barrel rifling when chambered. Even my 1.160 rounds with 115 gr bullets and 5.0 gr of Unique did not fail to 'plohnk' and fire well, so I wonder if my concerns (what I heard) about the CZs not liking long OAL are realistic.

This Titegroup doesn't fill the case as much, it's about half-full, compared to about 75-80% full with the Unique. How does the amount of 'air-space' above the power to the bottom of bullet alter the performance of the round?

When i made a few of these 124 gr loads, I DID notice one here and there with some 'wrinkling' to the plated bullet; the case edge has chafed it. Is this b/c this larger bullet seats deeper into the case and unless it's aligned nicely as I seat the bullet in the 3rd stage of my Dillon 550 press, it scrapes up the bullet surface?

How do I know I've crimped enough? I can feel the difference as I run my finger along the edge of the round, compared to a non-crimped round, and I cannot easily extract the bullet with a pliers (don't have a bullet puller yet). Is that enough? What is the danger of too much crimp? INcreased pressures and a possible ka-blooey in the gun?

Thanks for patience with a rookie loader...!

D.R.
Old October 22, 2010, 01:22 PM   #2
l98ster

I use almost the same load for my XD in IPSC competition.

Mine:
125 jhp (zero)
3.6gr titegroup
winchester small primers
OAL 1.150

With this combo, it is very accurate for me, pleasant to shoot and makes minor power factor for competition. This combo is on the lighter side of 9mm pressure. If you want something hotter, Work up slowly from that point. Im sure you will find a combo that you like.

-George
Old October 22, 2010, 01:25 PM   #3
l98ster

Your crimp should be light. If you take a non crimped cartridge after you have seated the bullet, look straight down on top of it. You will see the slightest of gap between the bullet and the case mouth. All you want to do with your crimp is get rid of that space. If you crimp to much, you will sqwish the bullet and potentially change your OAL. Keep the crimp light, and you should be fine

-George