The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Jim V

Caspain Pocketsmith review.

It's been a while since I dropped in. So Howdy to y'all.

The CASPIAN POCKETSMITH

You should have seen the ads for them in many of the gunrags by now; a multi-tool for the 1911. The handles are plastic or rubber coated. Enough to make them nonslipping when one's hands are wet. The pliers part of the tool is a bushing wrench with a short pliers section and a wire cutter. Encased in the handles are:
  1. Clip point knife blade
  2. two different size hex or Allen wrenchs
  3. small screwdriver
  4. file with two different "cuts"
  5. two larger flat screwdriver blades
  6. pin punch

The two hex wrenches fit the various set screws that are used on many sights and the grip screws. The flat blades fit the magazine catch lock, regular grip screws and what ever else that may need a flat bladed screw driver. The pin punch fits both the mainspring housing retaining pin and the firing pin.

The tool is made out of stainless steel and should hold up for a long time.

The pliers/muzzle bushing wrench takes some practice to use and seems to be a bit of a pain in the azz. One almost needs three hands to get it to work. It would be nice if the knife blade was made out of high carbon steel and not stainless, at least I can get a better edge on a high carbon blade than I can with a stainless blade. I likethe tool, I have used it for detail stripping a couple of my pistols. I would not get rid of it but I don't think I would have bought it, mine was a Christmas gift.