The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 23, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
JerryHN

What makes the Winchester M70 Super Grade so "Super"?

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a rifle in 375 H&H, specifically the Win M70 Safari Express. But I do want the "best of the line" Win rifle. Unfortunately, the Super Grades are not offered in 375 H&H. So here's my question:

How does the Safari Express compare to the Super Grade models (which are considered the best)? What are the main differences?

Anyone have personal experience with a Super Grade and a Safari Express?
Old December 23, 2010, 12:25 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Grade of Wood and finish. Safari grade has two recoil lugs for 338 and 375 cartridges.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
Grade of Wood and finish. Safari grade has two recoil lugs for 338 and 375 cartridges.
That plus a little nicer hardware as far as crossbolts, sling swivels, and recoil pads go.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Scorch

Super Grade is only super as opposed to Field Grade. Includes figured wood instead of straight grain, crossbolts with rosette patterns on the heads instead of black resin posts, high-gloss blue instead of standard bluing, ebony foreend cap instead of plastic, wraparound checkering instead of panel checkering, engraved floorplate instead of polished blue.

Basically, a Super Grade Model 70 is a factory-produced semi-custom. It is as close to an off-the-shelf "custom" Model 70 as Winchester could get.
Old December 23, 2010, 05:09 PM   #5
JerryHN

Interesting...
So besides the wood and blueing, the Safari Express is actually a better made rifle than a Super Grade (as far as hardware is concerned)?

Thanks guys, I've never handled a Safari express in person before.
Old December 23, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
pabuckslayer08

Not better the same, the barrle, receiver, action, everything besides finish is identicle. Its the guts inside that are the same. Make sure if you do get a M70 its brand new and clarify its from the 2010 line. The m70 had alot of problems between 64' and now but today they are building good guns again but honestly the ones in between you couldnt have paid me to use. Cheap materials and horrible craftsmanship. Make sure you check its a new gun from the factory and didnt sit around
Old December 23, 2010, 07:49 PM   #7
JerryHN

To pabuckslayer,

Thanks for the useful advice. I will definitely make sure its from the 2010 line. Im guessing I could do this by calling winchester with the serial number.
Old December 23, 2010, 08:49 PM   #8
GeauxTide

I would disagree with pabuckslayer. I have 2 Model 70s that are pre-2010. A 7mmLH Classic that I gave to my son, and a 7mm SS Classic that replaced it. Quality and finish are superb and shoot lights out. My own experience is when Winchester brought back the claw extractor action, the quality was better than pre-64 IMHO. My LH model was one of the last run from the CT plant.
Old December 24, 2010, 12:52 PM   #9
PetahW

I've owned & shot a 1991 .338 Super Grade and a 2002 .458 Safari Grade, both bought new.

The Super Grades are better finished, and with different sling hardware, than the Safari Grades - but the basic barrels & actions are the same.

The Safari Grades, besides the 2nd recoil lug mentioned above, also are issued with express-type open/iron sights, while AFAIK, post-64 Super Grades (including current post 2010's) are sightless.

I often wish I never sold the .338 Super Grade, since Winchester changed the SG styling shortly after 1991.

Old December 24, 2010, 01:00 PM   #10
pabuckslayer08

Yes, you can clarify by calling them. Its not to say they didnt make good guns beteen 64 and now but you must face it that alot had issues but some good guns were still coming out. Just not like they were before 64' but now every gun is to be top quality
Old January 3, 2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

My 2006 made M70

Classic, LH Fwt had only one flaw, from the factory - the bolt retention mechanism was bound up by excess wood in the stock, with the effect that everytime you cycled the bolt, if you weren't careful about the length of bolt pull, it would come out of the rear of the action, i.e., no "stop" function on the rearward motion of the bolt. The Gander Mountain on site gunsmith, where I bought it, quickly relieved a little wood, enabling the correct engagement of the stop, at no cost to me.

No other problems. Will shoot 10 round groups with all holes almost touching, with ammo it likes (Win Supreme Ballistic Tips). Group is 1 inch (windage) by 1.5 inch (elevation). I suspect the vertical stringing of the group is caused by heating up the thin barrel of the Featherweight model.

No complaints about "quality control problems" which allegedly plague these pre-2010 models.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Fat White Boy

I bought my M70(Synthetic stock) in .270 Win. at Walmart in 2005 for $250.00 on sale. It is a great rifle. I have a Nikon 3-9X40 Buckmaster on it. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards using Remington CoreLokt 130gr. I have taken 5 or 6 pigs with it. I have not experienced any problems with it...
Old January 4, 2011, 10:45 PM   #13
bottom rung

Some folks have had bad experiences with later production New Haven guns. Some, by no means all, just some.

These new FN made M70s are supposed to be a far more consistent good product.
Matthew 9:33 ".....the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled...."
Old August 8, 2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Mystro

This is a old thread but it deserves bringing up again for the new guys looking for a highend/Heirloom rifle.

After owning ALOT of M70(Sako,Weatherby,etc..). The latest M70 Super Grades are THE best rifle Winchester has ever built. We have several mid 50's Pre 64 rifles in the family. I can say without hesitation, the new top Model 70 guns built in South Carolina are noticeably higher quality. In a way they should be. Better manufacturing tolerances and much better build materials. The best thing that ever happened to Winchester is FN buying them. I am at my LGS all the time and always handle the new rifles. The Super Grade rifles seem to have their actions smoothed out over the Sportsters. Its not that the Sporsters are rough but the Super Grade bolt actions feel smoother and tighter. The good old days of the Winchester Model 70 are now. Its hard to see how long Winchester can keep this going so now is the time to drop some real money on one of the best hunting rifles ever made.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 8, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old August 8, 2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Paul B.

I have one of the M70 Stainless Classics in .338 Win. mag. and frankly it's total garbage. The metal work seems to be OK but the Tupperware hollow stock is so floppy that on a good day I might get a 4" group but 5" is more the norm. Complete and total garbage. I also have one of those so called lousy Post64 M70s in .338 Win. mag. that is close to being an MOA rifle. (1.25" average.) I also have an M70 with a 1968 serial# that is an absolute tack driver, much to the dismay of many a coyote.
I don't deny the FN M70s are nice rifles but I wish they'd left the original M70 trigger in the gun. Simplicity works.
Paul B.
Old August 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #16
Mystro

The Super Grades are a different animal than the synthetic stuff. Your tupperware M70 should do better than that. My brother-in-laws cheap Walmart Coyote grade 300 Win Mag can do 1 MOA at 100 yards. I would send it back to the new Winchester factory in S.C and let them work it over. You cant loose.
The new M.O.A triggers break cleaner than any of my N.H. Pre 64 guns. I can get them really good at 3lbs but the M.O.A is crisper. There is just no creap with the M.O.A. I am being hyper critical and non of my other guns from Sako to Savage is as good as the new Winchester M.O.A trigger.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 8, 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Tags
model 70 , safari express , winchester