The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 13, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
chipchip

Fixed Power Scopes

I work at retail gun store and sell a lot of guns and scopes. I'm beginning to think fixed power scopes are the way to go. what say you. Too Much out there and it's getting to complicated to make a scope choice.

Last edited by chipchip; December 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 13, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2
jmortimer

I like the Weaver K-4
Old December 13, 2012, 11:57 PM   #3
big al hunter

For target or close up hunting I would be tempted by fixed power. But for me it is better to have a variable. I hunt in clear cuts and second growth timber. Ranges vary from 5 yards to 500. I need 3 or 4 power for up close and I prefer 9 to 12 for the long shots. I think a scope is something that should be matched to the circumstances and preferences of the shooter. It is a decision only the shooter can make.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Scorch

A lot of folks like variable scopes, especially the retailers. You buy a fixed power scope, there is nothing all that sexy about it. But a variable power scope, you can zoom it in and out, set the magnification for what you think you like, play with it all the time, but by the time most people get a few trips under their belts, they have almost forgotten that the scope they paid extra to get that variable power feature can zoom at all. I have seen more variable scopes set at the highest power and just left there than anything else. For the same money, you get better glass and optical quality in a fixed power scope, but people continue to buy variables. Me too, don't get me wrong. My next scope will likely be a fixed power. Or not, those little knobs are so cool, you can zoom it, set it to a medium power, change it for early and late or close up hunting . . . . . . .
Old December 14, 2012, 01:31 AM   #5
scsov509

As others have said, it depends on your application really. But generally, my scopes of preference are 1x4's and fixed 10x's. One of the things I really like about the fixed powers is that you can get a lot of scope for the money. I'd rather have for example a SS HD 10x than almost anything else out there at a comparable price!
Old December 14, 2012, 01:35 AM   #6
lefteyedom

the lower fixed 2, 4, or 6 are great hunting scopes

10, 16, 36 are target and work well.

The old school was a fixed 4 was an idea hunt scope. Still good advise/
Old December 14, 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I hunted with a fixed 4 power for years. Great scope and excellent for the hills and valleys where I hunt here in Kentucky.

However, once I started making western antelope hunts, I needed a little more power. I now hunt with 3x9s and they are the best of both worlds in my opinion. Nothing wrong with fixed scopes but I needed a little more versatility and I think variable scopes provide that for most users.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #8
4runnerman

Weaver T-36 is a great bench scope. I would not want to get caught trying to make a 100 yard shot with it though. Fixed scopes in low power are ideal for hunting . If you want to reach out and touch targets from 100 to 600 or more yards variable is the way to go. I have 3 x 9 on my 22's and everything else is 6-24 x 50 and bigger.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #9
PetahW

I'm not into "target shooting", except for zeroing, and although I have a few variable scopes (1X-3X, 1.75X-6X, & 2X-7X), in over 45 years of hunting, have yet to need/use more than 4x on game - including both big/small game.

I find my fixed power scopes (I have a half-dozen) to be light & reliable, every one has ample eye relief, AND they have long enough tubes to mount on virtually any rifle I choose (Unlike the new "compact" scopes).

Old December 14, 2012, 09:59 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
I like the Weaver K-4
That's a classic, hard to beat that scope. I have a couple myself.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 14, 2012, 10:12 AM   #11
old roper

I like the variables on my hunting rifles and some of my varmint rifles and other varmint rifles have fixed 6x or 12x with AO.
NRA Life Member
Old December 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #12
zukiphile

Now that I have a sense of my patterns and limits, variable power optics answer a question I rarely ask.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

2,5 on my turkey gun and had a 4X on my .308 till I broke it, went up to 6X because of old eyes and its more than enough for the likely range I get to shoot at in my woods. Simple is good.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 14, 2012, 12:34 PM   #14
jmr40

My only real issue with fixed power scopes is that most of them have too much magnification. I generally use 1-4's, 2-7's or 3-9's and almost always use them on 1X, 2X or 3X. Most fixed scopes are either 4X, 6X or 10X. Just more magnification than I want most of the time.

There are a few fixed power 2X and 3x scopes, but none appeal to me. Having the option of more magnification is a plus if needed.

SOME fixed power scopes can be more rugged, but not all. A cheap fixed power scope is probably no more rugged than a cheap variable. A fixed power Leupold is about as rugged as it comes, but then again their variables will probably take more abuse than about any other brand, fixed power or variable.

If I lived in the west where longer shots were more common I'd strongly consider a Leupold 6X42.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #15
SSA

Fixed-power hunting scopes are an endangered species.
There used to be lots of them, but there aren't many, any more.
Weaver and Leupold still make some.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:42 PM   #16
btmj

I would love to be able to buy a light weight 2X or 3X scope. In fact a short, lightweight 3X32mm with a simple duplex reticle... ideal for a 30-30 or other hunting carbine.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17
tAKticool

Marine Corps did a lot of sniping with a lot of scopes that were just 10x Unertl .... Read "Shooter" by Jack Coughlin about the 2003 entry of Iraq and he did some CRAZY shooting and numbers piling with a 10x and Remington 700 based M40A3.

I am a Nikon guy but if you can't afford a $4000 Unertl scope you can go Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x 40mm scope, very hard to beat for $200 and mil-dots etc. target turrets- for the money and your choice it would be hard to beat this with a stick.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:02 PM   #18
coyota1

As a rule I use variable scopes, why not have the versatility? I did purchase a very nice Remington 722, and it came with an old fixed 4x ScopeChief with a fine cross hair, and I'm gonna leave it on for now. I can draw a bead on a crow at 300 yds with it.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:17 PM   #19
wpsdlrg

I completely agree that fixed scopes are the way....but this is an individual decision. As for variables, most people tend to use too much magnification, anyway, which only handicaps their shooting (higher magnification only magnifies small movements, which we ALL cannot eliminate completely, with an apparently closer view as the only advantage).

Obviously, shooting distance will govern the practical choice of magnification. 4X is plenty usable out to at least 200 yards, but not so useful on small targets at 600 yards, for example. 9X, the top setting on the most popular variable scopes (3X - 9X) is ridiculous and unnecessary at less than about 400 yards.

The "rule" I follow is 1X per 50 yards distance. Since I have always kept my (hunting) shots to 200 yards or less.....4X has always been perfect for me. I have used a 2X scope before, and actually prefer it over 4X.....but it is a handicap beyond about 125 yards.

The other issue for me is size and weight. I HATE a huge telescope perched over the receiver of my rifle, making it top-heavy, etc. So, a very compact scope is the only way for me.....or none at all.

Of course, to each his own. What everyone else does is their business.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:25 PM   #20
4runnerman

(higher magnification only magnifies small movements, which we ALL cannot eliminate completely, with an apparently closer view as the only advantage).

This is true as you state- The movments are there even if you can't see them as well so that is a null statement. The closer view ( in target shooting) is a very big advantage to have. I will keep your groups much tighter than low magnifaction. As you state for hunting a 3-9 power is all you need unless you go after those little dogs at 600 yards.

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 14, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:23 PM   #21
a7mmnut

Another element often overlooked is the loss of light through each set of lenses. A plain Jane fixed scope only has two lenses-one at each end. A fixed power with AO adds one more. A plain variable has at least three lenses, and the fourth for the AO or paralax ring. You will lose light with each pass through a lens--no doubt about it. More $$$ is required to put extra polishing and coatings on these lenses to reduce reflected light loss. Not many people are willing to do that. Those same people wind up complaining about them most of the time. In the the end, the old parable "you get what you pay for" almost always applies with optics.

-7-
Old December 14, 2012, 10:16 PM   #22
scsov509

Quote:
I am a Nikon guy but if you can't afford a $4000 Unertl scope you can go Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x 40mm scope, very hard to beat for $200 and mil-dots etc. target turrets- for the money and your choice it would be hard to beat this with a stick.
I bought one of those a few years back and can't say enough good about it. Mine is the mil/mil scope, and I can't believe how good it has been overall. It's definitely an exceptional scope for the money.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:21 PM   #23
coyota1

I have a Swift 2.5 x 10 on my 788/223, and I am quite happy with it.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Mobuck

I've made some real bragging shots using a plain 4X scope in my younger days. Now, I use 2.5, 4, 6, and 10X fixed power scopes apprpriate to the firearm's use. I still use mostly variables since they're so popular(and many times are cheaper). The reliability of the better quality variables negates many of the historical issues of POI change or fogging.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:42 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

I was at the range today and found I couldn't shoot at 100 yards with 9X zoom. Drove me crazy that that I could never get the reticle to sit totally still on the bulls eye. I had to lower it to about 5 and my shooting improved significantly. IF I was shooting a target moving at all I would probably drop it back to three. The 9x was GREAT for checking my target though. Almost worth the extra money I paid.