The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Proud Poppa

Anyone Own/Shot The Sig P224?

Just wondering if anyone owns or has had trigger time on the new Sig P224?
Old June 20, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2
rob i

It hasn't been released yet. I actually was talking to a sig rep at my friend's gun shop last night and he said they would start shipping in the fall. Looks like its gonna be a nice gun.
Old June 20, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I really don't get this gun. It's one fat little subcompact.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 21, 2012, 05:53 AM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
From personal experience - there's nothing wrong with being a "fat little subcompact"....
Old June 21, 2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Technosavant

Quote:
It's really no different in concept from any other double stack subcompact (such as the Glocks, which tend not to get too many comments like yours for some reason... those seem to be saved for other makers).

The idea is to have a concealable pistol that shares as many characteristics as possible with its larger brethren. Sometimes a person doesn't have a problem with the gun's width as much as the grip and barrel length for concealment. It is true that width can also be an issue, but everybody has their own set of allowable compromises in a carry gun. While it seems the single stack stuff is the flavor of the hour, there's still plenty of room in the market for the double stacks. It's all of a third of an inch wider than a XDS or M&P Shield, and the 11 round (9mm) or 10 round (.40 S&W or .357 SIG) capacity can make up for that extra width.

The real issue is going to be the price, but if a person likes the all metal Sig P226 and has no problem paying for those, the kilobuck-plus price of the P224 won't put them too far off the gun.
Old June 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
It's really no different in concept from any other double stack subcompact (such as the Glocks, which tend not to get too many comments like yours for some reason... those seem to be saved for other makers).
I don't own any Glock subcompacts, so I can't really help you there.

Quote:
Sometimes a person doesn't have a problem with the gun's width as much as the grip and barrel length for concealment.
That's somewhat opposite my own experience. While I agree with you on the grip, assuming carrying IWB barrel length isn't a huge issue.

When I said "fat" I also meant heavy. 25 ounces? That's the weight of a number of fullsize guns.

$1100 MSRP for a subcompact carry gun? .

If other people want it, be my guest. I've owned a number of SIGs and I loved them all. To me this thing is just plain silly. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
Old June 21, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
medic15al

Im a fat little subcompact..... Do I count?
Old June 21, 2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Technosavant

Quote:
That's somewhat opposite my own experience. While I agree with you on the grip, assuming carrying IWB barrel length isn't a huge issue.
I've personally found barrel lengths of 5" or longer can become an issue when sitting down, but that's really the only place barrel becomes a thing.

As for width, I've carried a 1911, a K frame, and currently haul around a P250. Unless you're picking a thick holster, a 1.3" gun isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'd probably lean towards a thinner design, myself (maybe something utilizing kydex, like a Crossbreed Supertuck), in order to cut down on width, but while it's definitely on the thick side I don't know that it's unconcealable. It's a tradeoff- is a little extra thickness worth a fairly good capacity?

I don't know that the weight is a huge issue... there's just not that many metal framed guns that are all that much lighter. Or even plastic ones... the subcompact P250 in 9mm that's on my hip right now is 25 ounces.

As for the price, yeah, Sig is proud of their metal guns, but it's not out of line for what quality maker metal guns are running. I don't really know how many people will be getting the things (the market does look to be mostly the P226/P229 owners), but they'll sell.
Old June 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Or even plastic ones... the subcompact P250 in 9mm that's on my hip right now is 25 ounces.
SIG's polymer guns are oddly heavy. A Glock 23 for reference is 21 ounces. I know it's only 4 ounces different so it's not a huge deal. But the SP2022 for instance at 29 ounces, which is only 3 ounces lighter than a metal P229, makes no sense to me. At that point I would just get a metal framed pistol.

Quote:
As for the price, yeah, Sig is proud of their metal guns, but it's not out of line for what quality maker metal guns are running.
I gotta be honest, I am starting to disagree these days. I've had a lot more exposure to CZs. You can get a CZ with a custom trigger job by Angus and still have a few hundred left over from what SIG charges. In my experience they are just as accurate.

That's why when I look for SIGs I just check the used market.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
ScotchMan

Quote:
$1100 MSRP for a subcompact carry gun?
Hey, hey, hittin' a little close to home for us HK guys :P

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Or even plastic ones... the subcompact P250 in 9mm that's on my hip right now is 25 ounces.
Exactly. Prob why I have never paid full price for my HKs . The first P2000 I got for $625, the second was $675. And I think even that is a tad pricey. No doubt some will buy it.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #12
RC20

I have no issue with the width.

Have been looking at the PX4 Sub compact. I am more concerned with barrel length (and a shorter grip helpts
as well)

And as much as I like the Sigs, for just a carry gun at $1100, simply no way I would buy it. Even if it was laser accurate you are not going to be able to shoot it or enjoy shooting it. The shooting would be to keep skills up.

I would pay in that area for a range gun I was going to shoot a lot and enjoy.
CC is more a tool (if its in that sub compact size)
Old June 21, 2012, 03:00 PM   #13
BarryLee

The P224 does have some attraction for me mainly the idea of a compact all metal gun that holds 12 rounds of 9mm. The MSRP of $1100 is high, but I would expect it to actual go for closer to $750 - $800 which is obviously still pretty high. The main thing I wonder is would it really be that much more attractive for carry than the P229 I currently use?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman