The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 6, 2010, 11:20 AM   #1
1S1KWTD?

ct rifle/shotgun law question

I purchased a shotgun about 2 years ago and i waited the 2 weeks and went to my FFL and picked it up but now i'd like to purchase a rifle. My question is do i have to wait the 2 weeks again before i can pick up a new rifle from like a Cabelas or Dick sporting goods? Ive tried researching it but no luck. Any info would help thanks.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Conn. Trooper

Yes, unless you have a hunting license or pistol permit. Each transaction has its own 2 week waiting period. I would just go get the pistol permit, just for this reason.
Old October 6, 2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

^^^

What he said.

There is (or used to be) a third option: There is (or was) an obscure sort of quasi-permit called (IIRC) a firearms eligibility card, or something like that. It allows you to purchase without the waiting period, but it is NOT a license to carry or to transport. Sounds like a good deal for those who don't plan to carry -- except that the requirements to get it are exactly the same as for a carry permit, and the eligibility card doesn't even allow you to transport to a range, so nobody bothers to get it. Might as well get the carry permit.

CT, is that eligibility card thing even still on the books in Connecticut?
Old October 6, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Conn. Trooper

Used to be an eligibility certificate that allowed you to purchase handguns and bring them directly to your home/work. That hasn't been around for a long time. The permit is a PITA to get initially, but after that it just has to be renewed every 5 years. I got mine just for an extra form of state ID.
Old October 6, 2010, 05:27 PM   #5
stargazer65

Yes, get a pistol permit and you can skip the waiting period. Also, for long guns a hunting license lets you skip the waiting period.