Miami Classic 3 50.00%
Miami Classic II 2 33.33%
I would never wear a shoulder rig. 0 0%
Whats a shoulder holster? 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 14, 2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Int'l Man of...

Galco Miami Classic vs. Miami Classic 2

I am looking to get a shoulder holster, and I have narrowed it down to a Galco. I own 3 Galco holsters (1 OWB belt, 1 Paddle, 1 IWB kideny) they are great and the quality is good. I prefer the OWB belt for most situations but I spend alot of time traveling and I think that a shoulder holster would be more comfortable. I am looking at the Miami classic series, but I am not sure of the differences in the wear of the classic vs the classic 2. I have read Galco's website but it is a bit vague. Does anyone have experiance with these 2 shoulder systems?
Old March 18, 2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Int'l Man of...

Outcome...

So, i figured out that the cost of buying the MC or MC2 outfitted for both the Glock and the sig was $15 more then buying the classic lite for G26 and MC or MC2 for the sig.

Food for thought.

I will get back to you on the Classic lite after I use it for a bit.
Old March 19, 2008, 04:16 PM   #3
oobuck

None of the above,you may want to add the vertical VHS it beats the older Miami model for comfort and retention.it is very popular in the sandbox.
I have one for my 1911 it gets my vote.

Old March 19, 2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Ditto_95

Too many ND's with a shoulder holster

If I were to get a shoulder holster, I would choose a Lou Alessi holster. Vertical is the way to go. That way you never sweep anybody when you re-holster.
Old March 20, 2008, 04:35 AM   #5
EricN

I too have been looking...

I Man,

I too have been looking and cant tell the difference. Not to hijack your thread but can anyone tell what the difference is between the classic, the classic 2, and the jackass?

thanks,

EricN
Old March 20, 2008, 04:44 AM   #6
EricN

I truly hate it when I dont read whats in front of me....

From the Galco website....

"The Miami Classic and Miami Classic II shoulder systems have the same holster component; the differences are in the harness and magazine carrier. The Miami Classic harness is made with all four straps being of equal width, where the MCII harness becomes wider over the shoulder area. The Miami Classic is the most popular and some feel it is easier to conceal, as well as cooler in hot weather with the narrow straps. Others may tell you that the MCII wider harness is more comfortable, as it spreads the weight over a wider area. Small-framed people, or those with larger builds, tend to do better with the Miami Classic harness.

The SSH “wide comfort” harness is yet wider than the MCII harness. Again, this helps distribute weight, but is also more difficult to conceal and sometimes less comfortable in hot weather.

The Jackass Rig is less expensive due to the harness being premium center cut steerhide instead of smooth surface top grain leather like in the Miami Classic harness (MCH) and MCII system harness (MCIIH). In addition, the construction method for both the holster and ammo carrier is riveted, rather than stitched as on the Miami Classic and the MCII. Another difference is that the Jackass holster component is designed for diagonal carry, with the muzzle tilted slightly up, due to the patented swivel keeper being placed under the muzzle rather than above the muzzle as in the pattern used on the holster component for the MC and the MCII systems.

If you want a genuine Galco International shoulder holster system for part-time or occasional carry, the Classic Lite is for you. This complete system-holster, single ammo carrier and JRH harness-gives you the comfort and versatility of our professional rigs. We use the same patented and trademarked connectors and hardware to achieve the same great fit and design. Instead of full grain steer hide we use premium center cut steerhide, which has a proven track record in our Jackass harness. By avoiding the many hours of handcrafting needed to make full grain leather holster, we can offer you a very reasonably priced alternative.

The optional tie downs for each rig are made from the same leather used for that particular rig’s harness. STD = ammo side tie down for MC, MCII, or SSII systems. STDH = holster side for the MC, MCII, and SSII systems; JTD = ammo side tie down for the Jackass Rig or Classic Lite, and the JTDH = holster side tie down for the Jackass rig or Classic Lite. "

I will now have 5 minutes of shame.

EricN
Old March 24, 2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Int'l Man of...

RE:

"Too many ND's with a shoulder holster"

I agree that a shoulder holster requires probably more practice than a belt holster, and even a certain level of experiance... I would question whether or not there are any actual stats that support the ND concern.

"I truly hate it when I dont read whats in front of me...."

I did read the Galco description in the FAQ's but I found it a little wanting on helpful info. I talked to a couple of guys who wear the galco shoulder rigs, and they pretty much stated that the MC was the way to go.

As for retention issues, I suppose that the VH could have better retention but it gives up some on the speed of draw and concealability of certain type of weaps.

I have a prelim report on the Miami Classic lite. So far, it lacks one very important feature... the ability to reholster one handed. Now I figure that for personal carry this is not a critical flaw, since once I draw in that situation there will be no rush to reholster. But as I have been trained on holsters where reholstering one handed was a requirement, I am going to switch. The MC & MCII does NOT lack this feature. As far as fit goes I like it. The fit of the MCL is supposed to be the same as the MC. So, I will probably exchange the MCL for the MC.
Old April 5, 2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Rufkarma

MC v. MC II

The difference looks to be the MC has mag carrier cover/retention; the MCII mag carrier is open with clinch retention.

I'm considering a MCII as I prefer the ease of access to the mags; but also like the thumbreak on the holster.

Later Kids
Old April 5, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
armoredman

I wore a Jackass Leather Miami Classic years ago with a full size Witness steel framed pistol, most comfortable shoulder rig I ever used. Got WAY short of cash one time, and sold it for $20. If I could get two, one for the P01 and one for the Smith, I would in a heartbeat.