The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
rickdavis81

9mm into 380

Here goes what may be a stupid question but I gotta ask. I have an over abundance of 9mm brass but no 380 brass. And I can't find 380 brass or ammo. Can I turn my 9mm brass into 380 brass? I've looked at the measurements and they are close. I can trim them to 380 length. Thanks.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Sevens

The length is the first thing you'd have to alter. Then you'd have to alter the size of the rim, as 9mm is larger than .380. Then you'd have to stuff 9mm shells in to your .380 sizing die, and I'm not sure how much effort that would take. (seems to me that you could try this right now, just to see what happens...) If you got the external dimensions within tolerance, you'd now have to figure out if the internal dimensions are within spec, or your load data will be altered due to the space inside.

No matter how you get down to it, there's way too much work involved to make this a good idea, even if it were possible. It's a Rube Goldberg.

Your best bet is to find someone that has used .380 brass and offer to buy, or trade 9mm for it, even if you have to trade more 9 than you get .380 in return.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Shoney

The short answer is NO!

The 380 is smaller in diameter and has a different size extractor groove. and in addition the web of the 380 is also smaller.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 10, 2009, 02:30 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

To turn 9x19mm cases into .380 Auto; you must do all of the above, and...

You must ream the inside of the case. Doing so on sized cases will leave the walls too thin. Doing so on unsized cases will leave the walls too thick. Take your pick.

So, the short list looks something like this:
1. Trim to length.
2. Rebate the rim.
3. Thin the rim.
4. Widen extractor groove.
5. Inside-ream.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:05 PM   #5
The_Vigilante

9mm into 380

Have you checked Gunbroker for .380 brass? I have seen it there many times.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
RidgwayCO

Order 500 or 1000 cases from Starline, and you should have them by this time next month. The price is right too.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.p...445890823ad338

Starline is good tough brass that I've used a lot.