The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 18, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1
tex3030

Service rifle match in Texas

I have been debating on getting an ar-15. I shot 4 position smallbore when I was younger (pre 9-11, post 9-11 the base no longer allowed us to use the range).

I would like to get back into the matches, but have been unable to locate a regular match. I have looked on the TSRA site and found that there is one match April, 2011, this match looks like it is held annually.

I would like to find a match held close to monthly for a service rifle. I do not know of any ranges around the San Antonio area that even have the 600 yard line for the prone slow fire string.

Would really like to make sure that there is some type of match that is somewhat local before building a gun that will be suitable for this type of competition.
Old November 19, 2010, 08:31 AM   #2
lmccrock

High Power matches are at Austin Rifle Club and STMTC, but both are reduced range, 200 yds.

The TSRA match is the annual state championship, so there is just one.

Try Google for more - depends on how far you want to drive.

Lee
Old November 20, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Rottweiler

Every now and then I hear the range at Camp Bullis is going to be re-opened to us lowly civilians. Sadly nothing ever comes of it. I wish it would

I shoot the reduced range matches at STMTC fairly often. Once in a while I go to Austin to shoot the same match. I've been to Temple and shot their match a couple times. Their range is 300 yards.