Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 4, 2002, 05:11 PM   #1
Erich

Got milk?

http://www.krqe.com/Global/story.asp?S=609078

Man Fights Off Robber With Gallon Of Milk
Date: January 4, 2001
Source: AP

A Clovis man warded off a robbery attempt today with the only weapon he had -- a full gallon jug of milk. Police say 62-year-old Raymond Ballard was returning from the store about 6:40 a.m. today when two men armed with knives approached him and
demanded his wallet.

Police say Ballard refused to give it up, and one of the men jabbed the knife at his stomach. Ballard says he used the milk jug as a shield. The knife pierced the plastic milk jug and the assailant pulled back. Ballard -- who is six-foot-two and weighs 235 pounds -- then whacked him over the head with the jug.

Ballard says he then fled, as the two men got into a car and sped off. Police had made no arrests early today. Ballard credits the gallon of milk with saving his life.
Old January 4, 2002, 09:20 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Good man. Made use of the tools at hand.

Sam
Old January 4, 2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Coronach

Outstanding.

Creative use of your environment.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 5, 2002, 12:02 AM   #4
bastiat

I think I saw that in a Jackie Chan movie once....
Old January 5, 2002, 11:53 AM   #5
David Scott

Six-two? Two-thirty-five?

Sounds like a failure of the victim selection process. This guy could play linebacker for the Tampa Bay Bucs. You gotta know he's not gonna take any crap.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old January 5, 2002, 09:10 PM   #6
David Park

David Scott, I had the same thought, but on further reflection I believe it probably was the milk (and of course, attitude and will) that saved him. My father's about the same size and age, when I see him I think "old man" before "linebacker." (Sorry Dad! ) These two younger, armed men probably thought they wouldn't have any trouble. Obviously these punks were looking for an easy score, not a fight.
Old January 6, 2002, 11:22 AM   #7
Coronach

But, the real question remains:

how long will our political leaders allow these deadly assault jugs to be loose on our streets, able to be picked up at the local convenience store for only a few bucks?

I propose some common sense milk laws. We should have a tax on milk, raising its price to somewhere around $20/gallon. And we should have a limit on the size of milk containers. I mean, really...the stuff is fattening. Who needs to carry around a one-gallon jug of milk? Let us rid our streets of this high-capacity assault jug scourge, and limit citizens to half-pint containers. Such restrictions would not apply, however, to the milkman industry, practitioners of which would have full access to full-sized containers in plastic and glass, so long as the containers are plainly marked "FOR MILKMAN USE ONLY" and are stamped with a date on manufacture.

Someone call Diane Fienstein right now.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 8, 2002, 06:19 AM   #8
Quartus

Quote:
Obviously these punks were looking for an easy score, not a fight.

That's normal behaviour for this type.

Mike, you're right of course. We need to put a stop to this outrage of just anyone having easy access to these deadly weapons! Why, do yoiu know how many children choke on a glass of milk every year! It's a national disgrace!

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old January 8, 2002, 09:58 AM   #9
Kirk Keller

Big is big

... and it sounds like this guy, regardless of the shape of his body has a certain stature about him. I myself have never been a victim of crime although once while sitting in a bar, I was threatened by a drunk who stumbled into my chair and assumed that it was my chair who attacked him. He apologized after I stood up. I'm 6'1" and 246 and I wear a size 52 jacket.
Old January 10, 2002, 04:19 PM   #10
Rickmeister

The goons were COWards, weren't they! Or was the UDDER guy one?
Old January 10, 2002, 04:22 PM   #11
Rickmeister

No point cryin' over spilled milk.

*Ack!*

Last edited by Rickmeister; January 11, 2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old January 11, 2002, 12:50 AM   #12
Coronach

Quote:
Ballard -- who is six-foot-two and weighs 235 pounds -- then whacked him over the head with the jug.

Ballard says he then fled, as the two men got into a car and sped off.
They really MOOOOved right along after discovering that this guy wasn't gonna take any bull.

Mike

Old January 11, 2002, 06:23 AM   #13
Quartus

Sounds like he really creamed these guys. Butter them than him, though.

:barf:

Oh, we'd better quit before it gets any worse!

Old January 11, 2002, 05:15 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Calcium in milk is good to build strong bones but a gallon of milk is good to break a few!

Milk, its not just for breakfast!
Old January 11, 2002, 07:27 PM   #15
Quartus

"Butter to have a cow and not need it than to need it and not have it."

I glad he bought a reliable brand of milk. This kind of sitUation is no place for Milk Duds.

Okay, I think I've milked this one long enough.

HE'P ME, PLEASE!!! I'VE BEEN IN CHINA TOO LONG!!!

Old January 11, 2002, 10:36 PM   #16
Coronach

This is getting udderly out of hand.

Mike

Old January 11, 2002, 11:04 PM   #17
Quartus

Y' know, I've heard that for lots of people, being in a dangerous situation like that can make your entire life run pasteurize.

Old January 12, 2002, 12:08 AM   #18
Coronach

It does really makes you sit back and ruminate.

Mike

Old January 17, 2002, 08:58 AM   #19
Kirk Keller

This thread

is killing me. You people are too much.
Old January 17, 2002, 02:49 PM   #20
Rickmeister

A Clovis man did that? I wonder what a Folsom guy would do.

Alright-alright-alright

Old January 17, 2002, 05:20 PM   #21
Erich

I sure didn't anticipate archeology humor!
Old January 17, 2002, 07:33 PM   #22
D.W. Drang

Quote:
I sure didn't anticipate archeology humor!
Noooobody expects the... Sorry.

Quote:
how long will our political leaders allow these deadly assault jugs to be loose on our streets, able to be picked up at the local convenience store for only a few bucks?
And let's not forget all those poor Lactose Intolerant people! I mean, can we Puh-leeeeease stop the madness!

For the children.

{Whoo-Hoo! My 100th message! Can I put "Senior Member, TFL" on my resume? }
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 17, 2002, 07:35 PM   #23
Fred Hansen

A Clovis man? What's yer point?
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old January 17, 2002, 08:13 PM   #24
Quartus

Hmmm. Somehow I don't think this guy's friends are going to start calling him "Jugs".

"Support the Right to Keep and Bear Jugs!"

Oh, wait, let's not wander down that cowpath...

One things for sure, he really put that would be robber out to pasture!