The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 10, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Red Dog

I heard about shooting with both eyes open

I want to know how that's done. I seen things referring to 'Front Sight' among others. How do you aim? What if you have a dominant eye?
Old May 11, 2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I want to know how that's done.
Don't close one eye.

Quote:
I seen things referring to 'Front Sight' among others.
This isn't relevant to shooting with both eyes open. It is relevant for aiming a gun with front and rear sights.

Quote:
How do you aim?
Just like you normally would. With that said, are you unfamiliar with how to aim guns?

Quote:
What if you have a dominant eye?
A dominant eye can make it a lot easier to shoot with both eyes open, especially if the dominant eye is the same as your dominant hand.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:08 AM   #3
GM2

Double Naught Answered your Questions well. I might add Try walking or running with one eye closed. It is disorienting to say the least as well as inefcient. Shooting with two eyes open allows for better balance and orientation while holding the Firearm.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Sport45

I, for one, do not do well shooting with both eyes open. When I focus on the front sight I see two targets that are about equally well defined. I know from experience to aim at the right one but I really do better by at least squinting my left eye.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Skans

If I'm shooting paper targets, I close my left eye. If I'm doing defensive drills, I keep both eyes open.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:07 AM   #6
MLeake

I learned to use both eyes initially by squinting my left eye.

Occasionally, I still have to do that to start a session.
Old May 11, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Hogtown

guess turning 60 I had to add another move in sighting my weapon,now after shot I have to drop weapon down a little then raise back up to get correct sight,if I don`t everything is fuzzy and takes too long to get correct sight, I shoot with both eyes open
Old May 11, 2012, 01:49 PM   #8
pgdion

Quote:
Shooting with two eyes open allows for better balance and orientation while holding the Firearm.
It also adds for a better field of view. With one eye closed you are basically blind to one side. Therefor it's good to practice with both eyes open for defensive shooting. However, it is usually easier to score better on targets with only 1 eye open. So for me, for leagues it's one eye open, for other practice it's two eyes open.

How do you do it? It just takes practice and getting used to. One eye (your dominant one) will provide most of the focusing. With a little practice, you still see the sights and target clearly with your dominant eye while the other eye fills in depth and your field of view. Awkward at first but not bad with a little practice.

Hey Sport45, are you dominant in one eye or eye neutral (is that possible???)
Old May 11, 2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Pahoo

Practice and program your mind

Quote:
Simular to training a dog. Stay consistant, practice and let the mind program itself for what you want done. To a certain degree, you can tell a shooters dominant eye by obseving which one is squinting. With very little time, it wil be second nature. Regardless of what I'm shooting, I keep both eyes open even though, my left eye seems to always be squinting. I think this comes from my instinctive style of archery shooting. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #10
jager.30-06

both eyes open

i shoot both eyes open with rifles scoped or not shotguns and pistols , i was trying to think of a way to explain this to my wife, she's a squinter, i told her think about it honey ,you dont read a book with one eye open or drive your car squinting then after trying both eyes open she started playing a little tune on the steel with my 1911, my advise is just go to the range and try it.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
DasGuy

Quote:
That's also how I taught myself.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:33 PM   #12
Red Dog

Went to the range today to give it a shot.

1) What should be clear? Target, Sight both neither.
2) How should the sight picture look?

I hit the target in the general area that I was aiming sometimes. Just looking for some tips to begin muscle training.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Erikbal

I don't know if this is weird, I guess I never thought about it, but I always shoot with both eyes open. I aim with both eyes, I haven't been shooting for a long time either though.
Old May 11, 2012, 07:50 PM   #14
WyMark

The only way I can shoot at all is with both eyes open.

I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but I am monovision left eye corrected for distance. So I read with my right eye and see distance with the help of a contact in my left eye (going to get Lasik on my left eye this year). This can make shooting a bit of a challenge, but if I keep both eyes open I can sort of see the front sight and the target both.

For indoor range shooting I had a special pair of safety glasses made that corrects just my right eye, otherwise it's just too hard to see the target with the indoor lighting.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

From a self defense or hunting perspective, having both eyes open is a real benefit. The eye not used for sighting is still able to catch movement even if you aren't concentrating on that eye's view. When you close the eye not being used for sighting, you are making a giant blind spot/blind side in your visual awareness which is already being reduced when sighting with the other eye.

I picked up the practice in the family store, using a loupe and dealing with customers. It is amazing what customers will try to do when they think you aren't looking and that your whole world field of view is concentrated down to a square half inch. One eye on the jewelry and one eye on the customer.

The doubling of the targets as noted above is a problem some have. Supposedly, it can be overcome with some simple training exercises, but I have never done them and don't know how well they do or do not work.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Sport45

Quote:
Hey Sport45, are you dominant in one eye or eye neutral (is that possible???)
I don't know. But sitting here at the desk I can hold a pencil at arm's length and focus on the eraser "aiming" at the doorknob across the hall. I see two doorknobs and they both look about the same. The eraser is under the one on the right.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:11 PM   #17
hey.moe

Shooting with both eyes open

Red Dog,

I trained myself to shoot with both eyes open over a period of a couple of weeks by dry practicing a little bit every day. I'm right-handed and right eye dominant. When I would focus on the front sight I'd see two images. The one I wanted to use was on the left. After a while my brain started to ignore the wrong one. It's still there, but now I have to intentionally try to see it.

I remember hearing of an experiment many years ago where a group of subjects were fitted with glasses that inverted the image they saw. After a period of adjustment (days or weeks, I don't know) they began to see the world right side up again. Their brains had made the correction. Of course when they took the glasses off at the end of the experiment they had to go through the same transition in reverse.

I suspect the ability to shoot with both eyes open will have to be relearned if it's not practiced with some regularity - use it or lose it.

-Stan-
Old May 11, 2012, 09:17 PM   #18
egor20

I'm right handed and left dominant eye, I've always shot with both eye's open, with long guns I do use my right eye though.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 11, 2012, 09:43 PM   #19
ClayInTx

Hogtown
Quote:
everything is fuzzy
Blink.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:00 PM   #20
animal

Quote:
I don't know. But sitting here at the desk I can hold a pencil at arm's length and focus on the eraser "aiming" at the doorknob across the hall. I see two doorknobs and they both look about the same. The eraser is under the one on the right.
Sport45 : Your focus is on the pencil rather than the doorknob. Try playing with your focus until you see 2 pencils and one doorknob. One pencil will be more distinct than the other.
Right eye dominant: the left pencil will be most distinct, and aimed at the dorknob.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:24 AM   #21
Sport45

Quote:
Sport45 : Your focus is on the pencil rather than the doorknob. Try playing with your focus until you see 2 pencils and one doorknob. One pencil will be more distinct than the other.
Right eye dominant: the left pencil will be most distinct, and aimed at the dorknob.
The eraser being under the right doorknob tells me the same thing. Focusing on the doorknob both pencils look pretty much the same. If I stare at the doorknob long enough one pencil image or the other (seems random) will go away entirely.

For target shooting (round black bulls on paper) I close my left eye or wind up with a headache along with a bad score.

The last time I qualified for my carry permit I used both eyes and point shot well enough to pass.

If I have time to aim I'm closing my left eye. If I don't have time to aim I won't. YMMV
Old May 12, 2012, 12:45 AM   #22
johnwilliamson062

Best thread ever.
Old May 12, 2012, 02:48 AM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Here in an instructional video for determining eye dominance. It is billed for archery, but it is the same test done for many activities.
http://www.ehow.com/video_4994511_de...e-archery.html
Old May 12, 2012, 06:58 AM   #24
jmr40

Both eyes should be open at all times, any gun, any type of sights. I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would ever want to be shooting at anything, targets, hunting, or SD while only using 1/2 of their vision.

If you cannot do it, learn how. Don't ever let a new shooter develop bad habits.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:31 AM   #25
animal

Quote:
The eraser ...point shot well enough to pass.
Exactly. I was beating around the bush a bit because I didn’t want to take flak about bringing up point shooting.
I focus on the target with both eyes open … and may be the completely wrong thing to do for most people . I teach people to focus on the front sight, but find it difficult and clumsy to do myself. When I’m shooting a pistol with defense in mind, I’m aware of the sight picture as a fuzzy image aligned with the target in focus.
Shooting "bullseye style", I focus on the sight, with the target fuzzy. . I get eyestrain when shooting "bullseye" for too long.

I don’t think all eyes and associated vision circuitry are created equal. Some would say that’s just a cop-out for not learning what I teach others. I think it’s working with what I have, vision-wise.
My eye dominance shifts depending on what I’m doing and I can consciously choose one or the other as dominant. Shifting back and forth causes an odd sensation of my surroundings gently "rocking" a little. Mostly, I’m right eye dominant and right handed. Shooting left handed, eyes naturally shift to left-dominant. (Hand preference also shifts depending on what I’m doing.)
I've also noticed that I lose the ability to focus close-up under high stress or anger. At times, I've had to wait until I calmed down before I could read normal print ... without straining really hard, that is.

Out of curiosity … When you hold the pencil in your left hand, does your eye dominance shift ?