The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 19, 2012, 02:39 PM   #1
MEDDAC19

flintlock pistols and ball seating

Watched episode of Topshot where flint pistols were used and the balls were rolling out of bbls. Thought they needed a patch or a tight enough fit to engage the lands and grooves. Do I have this wrong? I admit my experience is with flintlock rifles and they are fitted tightly so no air gap to prevent excess pressure.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:00 PM   #2
orangello

I use patches and want a tight fit in my CAPLOCK pistol (single shot, .50 cal, sidelock, etc).
Old March 19, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
mykeal

Smoothbore pistols and rifles were often shot using undersized balls and no patch. This was done to allow speedy loading.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
denster

That was not one of their better episodes. They had it all wrong probably for the sake of rapid continuous loading.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
FrontierGander

yes they were supposed to use a patch. IMO I think they skipped it due to all the shooters using the same pistol. A patch certainly would make things harder to load after all of those shots. Still a very dangerous practice they were doing.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Pahoo

I sure don't get it.

Quote:
Watched episode of Topshot
I just got into the middle of what they were doing and saw the same thing. I'm not sure how they introduced this practice but thought it quite odd, if not unwise. On top of that, did you see how well they shot? I know it can be done and historically it has been done but still wish they could have explained themselves or just not show it if they are not going to do it right. I teach M/L's and how do I explain this if asked by a student. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 19, 2012, 04:19 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Had to have something to keep the balls from dropping. Pistols were the secondary weapon of the cavalryman (his sword or lance being the primary weapon). The pistols were carried in pommel holsters that were muzzle down. A trotting or galloping horse would shake the ball out quick but for some tightly fitted wadding.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Rifleman1776

I didn't watch the show. Really never do just because it is more show than guns.
Most balls are patched. Rolling out is not correct. Nor is it conducive to accurate shooting. Everybody competing under those conditions was cheated.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:07 PM   #9
Newton24b

you can do it with a patch or with over powder wad, and anothe wad over the ball. to expect anything realistic from that show is well, unrealistic.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Pahoo

Powder & Ball; that's all !!!

Quote:
to expect anything realistic from that show is well, unrealistic.
Well said and for the short time that I watched this segment, they loaded the powder followed directly by the ball. No patch or wadding or anything else, was ever used. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 19, 2012, 07:46 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Television is for entertainment, not education.
Old March 19, 2012, 09:09 PM   #12
B.L.E.

Quote:
Smoothbore pistols and rifles were often shot using undersized balls and no patch. This was done to allow speedy loading.
That's true, smoothbore military muskets did not use patches, but, the paper that the premeasured powder charge and ball was wrapped in was rammed down on top of the ball to serve as an overshot wad.