The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2013, 03:12 PM   #126
Pico

Major fail

Should be 9 x 19. They need a line of single stacks.

Pico
Old December 26, 2013, 06:32 PM   #127
Glenn E. Meyer

Ruger Glock

Caliber: 380 Auto =
Capacity: 6+1 vs. =
Length: 5.16" vs. 5.34
Width: 0.82" vs. .836
Height: 3.60" vs. 4.13
Barrel Length: 2.75"
Barrel Material: Alloy Steel
Barrel Finish Blued

So:

1. Is the Glock significantly bigger for pocket or bug usage?
2. Can the new frame easily take a 9mm x 19?

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; December 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old December 26, 2013, 10:44 PM   #128
Billy Shears

Quote:
Width: 0.82" vs. 8.36

Wait, what?

Old December 26, 2013, 11:09 PM   #129
SpookBoy

Maybe im missing something,could Glock not just trim down a g26 barrel to fit this frame? As their sales will show, they sell alot of guns, at at the shop where i work, more glock 9mm & .40 cal's are sold than 10mm &.45 variants. So im sure glock knows that while they might need a .380 on the U.S.market, a 9mm or .40 variant here would make much more sense. IMHO

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old December 27, 2013, 02:12 AM   #130
SHE3PDOG

.380 Or 9mm, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll shoot it at the rental range, and if I like it, I'll get it.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 27, 2013, 02:33 AM   #131
Justice06RR

Quote:
I agree with you guys. The size would be wonderful if it were a 9mm...

I have no interest at all in a .380. I think that trend is mostly over. They should have built some competition for the Shield. I can't say that I'm that bummed about it though. The Shield is a GREAT little gun.
+2

I've never had interest or owned a 380 semi. Isn't it more expensive to buy than 9mm ammo anyway?

Plenty of pocket sized/single stack/subcompact 9's already in the market. I'm sure Glock fans may buy one, but for the rest of the gun owners its just another Glock...

I'm not hating on Glock's as I've owned a G19, and now a G23 and SR9c. If I were to get a 380, it would be an LCP for $300.
Old December 27, 2013, 10:34 AM   #132
veamon

Whip1, I just got a Ruger LCP .380, what is a comparable 9mm for size/weight/price?
Old December 27, 2013, 11:04 AM   #133
KyJim

While the selling frenzy on pocket .380s may be over, I think there is stilla good market for them. After all, they are smaller and lighter than the small 9mms and have less recoil. An awful lot of people want those attributes and will sacrifice the extra power of the 9mm Luger. Add the Glock name to it and it's going to sell. I agree, though, that a single stack 9mm will sell even better. I'm also thinking Glock could market those to law enforcement as approved backup pistols.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:05 AM   #134
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
.... so perhaps Glock will be able to sell the G28/G29 here in the US once they have production of those models set up.... no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
They could but I'm not sure there's much of a US market for those guns. A micro 380 seems like a better bet.
+1. For the uninitiated, the G28/29 are (a) G19 & G26 sized, respectively, and (b) unlocked-breech aka blowback. The former makes them unattractive for CCW compared to numerous competing models already on the US market; the latter likely renders their felt recoil and slide-operation force comparable to their 9mm equivalents. IOW they offer no advantages over existing 9mm Glock models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker_two
As a direct competitor to the Ruger LC380 & Walther PK380, it could work.
+1. Although I've not shot the former, IMHO the latter is a great concept that was totally ruined by poor execution. In the plus column, I love the grip feel, the trigger, the not-too-small easy-shooting size, and the extremely low felt recoil and slide operation force. However, I simply can't forgive the careless fit & finish, the need for a proprietary and easy-to-lose takedown tool, the wonky non-decocking slide-mounted safety that doesn't lock or disconnect the trigger, or the fact that the one I test-fired was a total jam-o-matic.

The LC380 promises to fix most of these flaws, but IMHO there's still room for a competitor, particularly one with a shorter trigger than the LC.

Let's remember that there are many shooters out there who don't like felt recoil or hard-to-operate slides. We can pooh-pooh them and blame it on poor technique all we want, but they'll still use these criteria to make purchasing decisions, our opinions notwithstanding.

Last edited by carguychris; December 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old December 27, 2013, 11:23 AM   #135
Glenn E. Meyer

Oops on the decimal point. Kind of like Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory - missed a decimal and thought he discovered a stable transuranic element.

I have an LCP I bought for small BUG usage. So a little bigger 380 is not exciting. I shoot the 380 decently at close range (what a surprise).

Make it a 9 mm.
Old December 27, 2013, 05:49 PM   #136
johnwilliamson062

GLock could use a 22 in their line and the G40 in 22LR would be a lot of fun. At the range and on the boards. Probably end up with a sticky about it.
Old December 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #137
whip1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEAMAN
Whip1, I just got a Ruger LCP .380, what is a comparable 9mm for size/weight/price?
For starters, there's the Ruger LC9 that is just fractionally bigger, and about the same price. For more money (and I'd spend it to get 9mm) are a few guns just a bit bigger. Kahr CM9, Sig P290, Springfield XDs, and Berreta Nano. truth be told, I'd rather carry a j frame or LCR than a .380.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:25 PM   #138
Peter M. Eick

I talked to my local dealer today and they say it probably will be a single stack locked breech but nothing firm yet. Hopefully it is but who knows.

I did put my name down on the "we will call you when one shows up". They figure they will get 2 or 3 in April and then none until the end of the year. They are basing their observations on the last few glock rollouts where there was an initial burst of guns in the new type then nothing.
Old December 28, 2013, 08:32 PM   #139
Mastrogiacomo

I don't care what the caliber is...I wish we had Glocks in my state.....

Laura
Old December 28, 2013, 11:57 PM   #140
SHE3PDOG

I've heard some rumors that the released measurements were a hoax. It was largely based on the usage of the word Tenifer in one of the catalogs showing the measurements. Apparently Glock stopped using that finish a long time ago as it produced a harmful gas; they now use Melonite.

If you scroll down a bit here there is a whole conversation about the pictures possibly being a photoshop job.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 29, 2013, 10:53 AM   #141
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG View Post
I've heard some rumors that the released measurements were a hoax. It was largely based on the usage of the word Tenifer in one of the catalogs showing the measurements. Apparently Glock stopped using that finish a long time ago as it produced a harmful gas; they now use Melonite.

If you scroll down a bit here there is a whole conversation about the pictures possibly being a photoshop job.
I could believe that....something about the proportions doesn't sit right with me....
Old December 30, 2013, 11:03 AM   #142
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG
. . . . usage of the word Tenifer in one of the catalogs . . . .
I wondered about that, myself, having read in a variety of places that Glock no longer uses the Tenifer treatment.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:07 AM   #143
Glenn E. Meyer

So maybe it's still a carbine? LOL.

I heard John Farnam tell us that he spoke to Gaston years ago and the latter was not interested in single stack 9s.

Glock has missed the boat at times. The GAP is an example and the 36 needs a major revision.
Old December 30, 2013, 11:18 AM   #144
Cheapshooter

"THE ONLY THING SMALLER THAT FIRES EVERY TIME"
Must be smaller than my Else Pea, or CM9 they have both "fired evety time" from the get-go.
Sorry Glock, I have nothing against your guns. I own, and enjoy a G20, and a G17 is high on my want list. But this add reminds me too much of Hornady's big secret adds befor theme r gimmicky Zombie Max ammo came out.
The only thing smaller that fires every time, really?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 31, 2013, 02:55 AM   #145
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
So maybe it's still a carbine? LOL
If only. They seem to be doing well off of their handguns though, so I doubt that is high on their list of priorities.

Old December 31, 2013, 03:33 PM   #146
Uncle Malice

It would seem that it is not a hoax. Here is a photo posted by chaos311clarity(a youtube channel) to Instagram.

This would seem to confirm the Glock 42 as a .380, made in the US. I actually like the design. I hope they can bump it up and release a model with similar dimensions in 9mm..

Old December 31, 2013, 06:58 PM   #147
Venom1956

wow. He either has small hands... or thats a huge ass .380!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 31, 2013, 07:04 PM   #148
jimbob86

Quote:
wow. He either has small hands... or thats a huge ass .380!
My thought, exactly.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:13 PM   #149
JohnKSa
Staff

My guess is that this gun is aimed at the same market the Ruger built the LC380 for.

In other words, it's not targeted to compete with the ultra-small pocket pistols but rather is intended to provide a viable option for people who:

1. Don't want to go all the way down to a .32ACP caliber for self-defense.
2. Don't want to buy a fullsized pistol.
3. Have trouble dealing with the recoil that a subcompact 9mm or a micro .380ACP can dish out.
4. Have trouble racking the slide.

We don't talk about that market much on TFL since we're all accomplished pistoleers who never blink an eye at recoil, have issues with the grip-size on a full-size double-column service pistol, or find that tiny pistols are hard to shoot well. But in the real world there are a number of people who have real issues either due to age or health concerns that make it difficult for them to rack a slide and/or make them very recoil sensitive.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:45 PM   #150
SHE3PDOG

I still see it selling, and I'll still give it a try. I was really hoping it was a hoax though.