The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2002, 12:42 PM   #1
Labuyo

How do I improve/lighten Beretta 92fs DA trigger pull?

The DA pull is too long and heavy for me. Any suggestion on how to improve/lighten it? thanks in advance!
Old September 30, 2002, 02:36 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

A long trigger pull was designed into those guns. As the trigger is pressed to the rear, the top of the trigger pivots forward on pivot pin of the trigger bar. This causes the trigger bar to move forward and the trigger bar tail engages the hammer, causing the hammer to rotate back. Continual pressing of the trigger results in the trigger bar disengaging from the hammer which, now released from the restraint of the trigger bar, is propelled forward under pressure from the hammer spring (via the hammer strut). Can't do much about it other than snip off coils of the spring or buy a lighter spring. Mind you, when you do this, the reliability of the gun becomes questionable and you may not have the sure fire "bang" that you counted on in the past. Don't do it if this is a defense/CCW pistol.
Old September 30, 2002, 03:18 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Get the mainspring listed for the 92D - DAO model. It is lighter than the F spring and still a Beretta part. Testfire THOROUGHLY. This will let you make sure you have reliable ignition and break in the working parts for smoothness.

Or send it to Ernest Langdon
http://www.langdontactical.com/main.htm
and he will work it over for $85 and up.
Then testfire THOROUGHLY.
Old September 30, 2002, 04:20 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Duh. Now why didn't I think of it? Thanks Jim!
Old September 30, 2002, 04:55 PM   #5
Logistar

or... get the spring "kit" from Wolff.

Comes with 16lb, 17lb, 18lb, and 19lb springs. You can check 'em out and decide which works best.

I had mine 3 days after I placed the order - FWIW.

Logistar
Old September 30, 2002, 06:41 PM   #6
9mmepiphany

the "D" mainspring is the easiest...factory part, drop-in, reliably "pops" all primers. (about $3+ shipping)

the wolfe is next up...reputable company, drop-in, reliable and gives you room to play with different weight springs (from just below "D" to above standard "FS")

you'll get the most out of a complete trigger tune from EL...it includes the "D" spring, but the trigger action is really smooth. smoothness has a larger effect then the lightness. ernest also offers a lighter "competition spring"...but it does require testing your ammo for reliable ignition.

another way to go might be to check out the work done by NOVAK (of sight fame) too